"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 02:16:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Would you like to see Tracking as an option ingame?

No, not at all.
- 2 (9.5%)
Yes, make it skill dependent. Only those skilled can track.
- 11 (52.4%)
Yes, but not skill dependent. Everyone should be able to track.
- 7 (33.3%)
Yes, but differently. (Please make a post and explain).
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tracking players.  (Read 2484 times)

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
Tracking players.
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:38:59 am »

Got this idea from the undergrounds "find" feature suggestion.
Basically, add a find player button, when clicked, it will prompt for a playername, and will search for that player in the squares around you, and move you towards his position.
When in same square, if player tracked falls into an encounter, this would become visible to player tracking him.

- An outdoorsman skill of >0 would search the square you are in.
- An outdoorsman skill of >99 would search the 8 squares around you.
- An outdoorsman skill of >199 would search the 24 squares around you.
- An outdoorsman skill of >299 would search the 48 squares around you.

This would open up new ways of tracking, hunting and ambushing players.
- Your mate ran the other way outta the enc? Track him down.
- A guy bought a nice stack of drugs? Hunt him down!
- Some bastard gunned you down outside GunRunners? Get your friends and hunt him down!

Expanding on this, the guy being followed could get a warning message and maybe set up an ambush, or make a run for it to a safe location, when entered would notify the tracker that target has been lost.

Also, not everyman and their mom should be able to track anyone down.
Maybe a high outdoorsman skill vs tracked outdoorsman skill?

EDIT: Fixed the formatting of the text. Was all screwey for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:51:49 am by Spotty »
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/
img19/4053/c88.png
"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
- Niccolo Machiavelli -

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Re: Tracking players.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:49:38 am »

Would be really interesting and maybe it would even make players put prices on some character's head, which is done already sometimes, but the game mechanics don't offer much space for that.

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:15:56 am »

I'm a BIG fan of this idea. I wouldn't suggest making a new skill for it though, outdoorsman seems fine enough.

Would be really interesting and maybe it would even make players put prices on some character's head, which is done already sometimes, but the game mechanics don't offer much space for that.

Word, this would definitely start happening.

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:29:33 am »

Bounty hunting would prosper. If a bad guy likes to hang out in an area the bounty hunters would have no issue hunting him down. The bad guy would get the warning message and get the heck outta dodge. Time to deal with the consequences of your actions. Or maybe he calls in his buddies and start tracking the trackers, or make a nice ruins encounter and ambush the hunters when they arrive?

So many possibilities!

Was thinking about the scouting dog from the boneyard. That could be used in tracking as well due to its high OD (150?).
img19/4053/c88.png
- Niccolo Machiavelli -
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:52 pm »

48 grids is OP, IMO.
Big factions or trollest wil put 4 leaders in the wm and track down every people they want to harass.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:20:59 pm »

- An outdoorsman skill of >199 would search the 24 squares around you.
- An outdoorsman skill of >299 would search the 48 squares around you.

The difference between that should be some few squares at most, minor improvement otherwise it is another one purpose alt for tracking players just to interact with them. Having 300% of skill shouldn't be a necessity to be somewhat effective with it.

The total amount of squares should be toned down, the area is too large, remember that a tracker is mobile and can cover much space in short time and that there's always the possibility to find someone directly by encounter.

The world map is very large, we don't have a big populated server and it is hard to find someone in encounters, that's discouraging to be out in the wasteland and explore for unexpected encounters.

So, I very support the idea, like I said in one of the other topics, player interaction is key to focus on, more ways how for players to get in touch with each other is must.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:36 pm »

Great, encourage staying in tents even more.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:31 pm »

More like in cities, because there's nothing going on in your tent full of stuff.

Players are out there in encounters, but it is just too damn hard to find anyone, that's why you don't bother to go and search for anyone.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »

This is a great idea, but i think that it would be not good for the game. Loners players will really have problems, and little factions too. Like nao said, big teams will have an other enormous advantage..

Black Widow

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »

you can try what was in fot "encounter hunter" or what ever it was called.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 06:09:45 pm »

Just run around ncr with 300% outdoorsman, and gatling...

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:20:09 am »

48 grids is OP, IMO.
Big factions or trollest wil put 4 leaders in the wm and track down every people they want to harass.
Im pretty sure the big factions arent gonna put a couple of guys just to scan worldmap for a single guy just to "harass" him. Maybe to go look for a fight, loot whatever they may carry after a successful hunt, or whatever. Trolls, however, might harass just for the sake of griefing, but they still gotta track them down, and player being tracked would still get a warning he is being tracked.

This is a great idea, but i think that it would be not good for the game. Loners players will really have problems, and little factions too. Like nao said, big teams will have an other enormous advantage..
Not sure why loners would have problems cause of this, it doesnt make it easier to find random players, only specific players in the vicinity of tracker. If a noob left NCR headed for reno, a tracker might think he went to vc and try tracking north of vc, while in fact tracked player went another way and is outside range already.

The difference between that should be some few squares at most, minor improvement otherwise it is another one purpose alt for tracking players just to interact with them. Having 300% of skill shouldn't be a necessity to be somewhat effective with it.

The total amount of squares should be toned down, the area is too large, remember that a tracker is mobile and can cover much space in short time and that there's always the possibility to find someone directly by encounter.

The world map is very large, we don't have a big populated server and it is hard to find someone in encounters, that's discouraging to be out in the wasteland and explore for unexpected encounters.

So, I very support the idea, like I said in one of the other topics, player interaction is key to focus on, more ways how for players to get in touch with each other is must.
Im glad you support the idea, and your right, shouldnt be necessary to be at max skill to be efficient, but as someone else said, 48 squares might be a little OP. So maybe a little change like this:
- An outdoorsman skill of >0 would search the square you are in, and pull you towards him.
- An outdoorsman skill of >149 would search the 8 squares around you and pull you towards him. (1 square out)
- An outdoorsman skill of >174 would reveal his encounter when in same square, if any.
- An outdoorsman skill of >249 would search the 24 squares around you and pull you towards him. (2 squares out)
- Perhaps the Scout perk which allows 2 squares to be unravelled could add another square out?

And I want to state again, this would only work when tracked player is within tracking range of tracker. If the tracked player is out of range, nothing happens, player is not found. If tracked player is in range, he will get a warning, and can get a move-on, or set an ambush, or wait at the grid to see who is tracking, and call his buddies to track the tracker, or whatever. The tracker would not see the players encounter until in same square, but would get pulled towards tracked players location, if within range. This would give the tracked player time to scram or prepare.

For those who wants to be not found, its a simple matter of operating in different areas, and when being tracked in an area, relocate. With 10 tents per character there is no need to be tied down in one area, and with a car, you can leave sf and be halfway to vc by the time the tracker gets to type in your name. You could also always just log off and log in to new char. Basically, its a cat and mouse game, but who is the actual prey? Both sides are aware a fight might happen, and can respond to it, fight or flee.
img19/4053/c88.png
- Niccolo Machiavelli -

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 01:43:00 am »

Don't make it skill dependant. Yet another alt to maintain. Make it item dependant. You can track players if you have motion tracker in your inventory. Easy as that.
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 02:42:32 am »

Don't make it skill dependant. Yet another alt to maintain. Make it item dependant. You can track players if you have motion tracker in your inventory. Easy as that.

Since the beginning of time, or his creation, depending on your views, man has been able to hunt and track animals and eachother without the use of tools or aids. Some better then others, depending on their skills...!

While I do agree that we dont want more alts, I do refuse to make it item dependant.

We could remove the skill requirements altogether, and make everyone able to look for specific players in the 8 squares surrounding them, including occupied square. Everyone is equal, basic Vault training perhaps?

As for item dependency, Im totally against that, as an aid, sure, why not? As previously stated, scout could assist in tracking, motion sensor could as well. Even a scouting dog could assist.

But making it completely dependent on motion sensors, which are only available from Glow and Ares, and players who salvaged them from these places who might be selling them, would severly cripple the newbies and noobs and grant even more power to those already strong. i do not wish to limit tracking to the strong and powerful, I want the underdogs to be able to fight using this tool as well.

It should be noted a newbie/noob would have a higher survival rate vs tracking then random guy popping in to his encounter, simply cause he knows its coming. Fight or flee.

Edit:
I added a poll, please vote!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:46:11 am by Spotty »
img19/4053/c88.png
- Niccolo Machiavelli -

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:46 am »

Got this idea from the undergrounds "find" feature idea
Its funny I should get "credit' for this, because I dislike it...... at least for pc's. Too much PROBILITY for abuse.... I can tell you THRER names that if that feature were pit in pkace I would hunt them unmercifully. HATEFULLY. I'm not a pker as a rule, but these three would quit the dntire game over my ABUSE of them. (They know who they are, and they nkow they got it comming to them.)
nobody wants him so he just stares at the world
planning the vengeance that he will soon unfurl

Kill A VC For Democracy!!!!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 27 queries.