"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 10:40:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Support Perk: Wholesaler (Barter)  (Read 925 times)

New Support Perk: Wholesaler (Barter)
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:48:56 pm »

This simple perk would allow a player to sell any item of value to any merchant. This would alleviate the frustration of finding a merchant with caps left, but no corresponding items to sell.

This could be s support perk requiring 50 or 100 barter skill to obtain.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
Re: New Support Perk: Wholesaler (Barter)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 12:11:46 am »

or just bring back normal barter to vendors, it was stupid to get rid of it in the first place.  So what if players accumulate caps?
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:03 am »

In other words, there isn't enough traders to spam 5mm and MFC with. The Barter system isn't finished and this perk would just make it just like last session, defeating the purpose.

I don't think we want our gun shops filled with healing powders and apples  ::)
Everything must change.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:56 am »

Agreed and 2nded
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:24 pm »

Was it really that bad?
I only very recently started playing, and this has been a major irritant for me.

Perhaps make it so the perk, while allowing you to sell to any merchant, would reduce the value of items sold to merchants that don't normally buy them?

The combination of unpredictable death and losing everything on you combined with being completely starved for caps makes this game very frustrating at times for new players like me.

It just feels out of place, to me, to have CURRENCY be a rare commodity. Its quite the paradox, actually.

Personally I'd make the amount of caps obtainable unlimited, but add more moneysinks to the game to counteract inflation. But, that belongs in another thread.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:49:45 pm »

Yes, it was, because there are a lot of items out there, that are good just for selling and very few to have some value. So everyone tried to turn their garbage into money.
In the end, you did see only shitty stuff at traders and no caps whatsoever - one guy with junk exchanged it all.

Currently, barter is not in good shape, but as long someone does not point out better system, theres no need for new perks.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:00:48 am »

I think the system is good as is, with selective merchants it encourages everyone to science leather jackets / low-tier guns and therefore fuel a raw material economy. Take those 9mm Mausers apart and use the materials to make spears, it keeps things nice and tidy.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:57 am »

In other words, there isn't enough traders to spam 5mm and MFC with. The Barter system isn't finished and this perk would just make it just like last session, defeating the purpose.

Exactly!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:55 pm »

Every merchant should have  a static inventory and a faked "demand vs available" script:
For example, a merchant would have a max capacity of 1000 apples, he won't buy more until someone buys his apples.
Lets imagine apples are the jewels of the wasteland, and every player would buy them on sight: if his apple stock is sold entirely in a given time (from him buying the apples to him selling them), his max capacity would increase; and the reverse would also apply: if he can not sell his apples, he will lose interest in them, so he will buy less and less, his static inventory will show that he has 1000 apples, but in fact, for example, he won't buy apples until his stock are under 10 apples.

With this it could also be interesting to add a variable price: the higher the demand the higher the price gets.
first step to introduce a real economic system. At the end it would require a more complex town per town, merchant per merchant, item per item algorithm which would make all the prices to fluctuate.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.