"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 04:17:03 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

How should this be implemented, if considered?

Option 1 only
Option 2 only
Both options
None - I don't like it

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Name Colorization - possible solution  (Read 13771 times)

Re: Name Colorization - possible solution
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 11:18:34 am »

Yes, but you are ignoring the fact that there are quite a lot of players who do that right now, players who don't shoot every player they see with gray color will be able to do that just fine with lists(or not) in their fonline folders and everything else if they wish to purely interact, what makes you think they will shoot color blue suddenly?(mindless pew-pew factions will do that of course, those players who have their heads out of Toilet Control will retain the ability to think and distinguish foes, friendlies as they like and see fit) Choice for the countless time, do you know it? ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:25:22 am by T-888 »

Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 11:23:30 am »

It doesn't stop you from being shot by people with artificial knowledge that they
wouldn't have in game if they didn't copy some file prepared by others. If they
just shoot everyone, then it's fine and dandy for me, but not if they know something
from "magical list" without actually meeting me once or even hearing about me.
Well I can live with people shooting at me because of having artificial knowledge. Because that group is almost the same size as that one which would shoot me without having it.

Many players don't shoot every gray player they meet.
You just have to stick your head out of Town Control PvP for a moment to realize that.
Yep, and not everyone shoots players according to the color on the list. If someone wants to deprive their gameplay experience by mindlessly following their NC it's only their problem that they are roleplaying mindless puppets in some larger scheme.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 05:15:24 pm »

Dont forget that namecolorizing would allow people to colour some gangs or players with neutral or unknown colours, possibilities are endless. Now its either a friend = green, or enumis = gray/red.
If you have problems that its some external .txt file, go ahead and make us an appropriate GUI...

The only players that benefit from this needless anonymity are PKs and loners.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:17:33 pm by Sarakin »
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »

Even loners would be fond of NameColorizing.

By the way, i am pretty sure if there was a vote, it would be 97% support for NameColorizing.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2012, 06:00:59 pm »

By the way, i am pretty sure if there was a vote, it would be 97% support for NameColorizing.
83% actually  :P

I really don't understand how can someone refuse that feature. If it's about realism, this is a game far from being a simulation, and gameplay should always come first anyway. If it's about players interactions, I wonder why people assume we're all brainless AI shooting at everything if it's wrong color.
Magically know people? Well, our characters are supposed to live in this wasteland where knowing dangerous people make difference between life and death, you might think rumors would come to their ears simply during their regular living, but of course, it's a game, so we don't spend time at the bar talking with NPCs about latest exactions from raiders, as humans we have better thing to do...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:04:47 pm by Crazy »
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 10:29:18 am »

If we talk about realism, you can recognize a face, without learning people name.
From its face, you remember if the last time you saw it, it was a threatening guy, a friendly guy, or someone you didn't figure out. But these remains strangers. You don't necessary know their name.

Now, in Fonline mechanics don't allow to recognize faces, so you consider the color instead.

Now, you have the same color for people who never met, people you know and don't trust, and people you know hard bad, but you keep being killed, everytime before tagging them bad.

Also, i am not fond about the terminal thing.
Because the terminal thing will force you to have the same colors as your teammates, while the NameColorizing allow you to have something different, to customize it.
More important, you can have a different NameColorizing, for every different chars, depending of their orientation (pk,apk,neutral), their purpose (quest, pve, pvp, rp), or their role among an organization.

avv

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 01:56:01 pm »

I really don't understand how can someone refuse that feature. If it's about realism, this is a game far from being a simulation, and gameplay should always come first anyway.

It's refused because developers want us to play the game in certain way which we don't because the mechanics don't support that but they expect us to do it anyway.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

JovankaB

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:10 pm »

It's refused because developers want us to play the game in certain way which we don't because the mechanics don't support that but they expect us to do it anyway.

It's not about playing in certain way, it's about a feature that give you artificial information about
enemy characters that you never met, never saw on any screenshot and never have been talking
about. Especially that the information in majority cases is limited to shoot/not shoot (but that's
not the point, just makes it stronger).

Well I can live with people shooting at me because of having artificial knowledge. Because that group is almost the same size as that one which would shoot me without having it.

Yep, and not everyone shoots players according to the color on the list. If someone wants to deprive their gameplay experience by mindlessly following their NC it's only their problem that they are roleplaying mindless puppets in some larger scheme.

Cool beans that you can live with that, but that's not a question about your personal preferences
and things that you are fine with, but general question about game style and balance. I don't think
it's any good if people can have information about hundreds of characters without any effort from
their side. And if you don't make decision basing on colors, it still gives you at least a warning,
so don't tell me that it doesn't have any impact in relation to characters of other people that you
never ever met in person or heard about before.

Besides it doesn't matter if you don't use colors, it's enough if you are affected by being colorized
by other people (and I don't mind it, if at least the information that I done something bad requires
some effort/memory/surveillance not copy/paste of a huge file outside of game). Again, you can
be personally cool with that and don't mind it at all (I don't either, because I don't "PK"), but it's
not about you being a cool cat, it's about people having some advantage taken out of nothing
when meeting a character they never met or heard about. I consider learning about other people
(and their characters) and not having some automated information in form of colors, icons, skulls
etc a part of the gritty, raw style of the game. If it's info about faction or faction allies, then cool,
but not if it's about hundreds of your potential enemies in the game IMHO.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:04:10 pm by JovankaB »

avv

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

It's not about playing in certain way, it's about a feature that give you artificial information about
enemy characters that you never met, never saw on any screenshot and never have been talking
about. Especially that the information in majority cases is limited to shoot/not shoot (but that's

Many players never "meet" anyone. They just log in the game if there's something related to pvp going on and log off once the event is over. Few active members share the information about enemies and friends to the people who are less active in obtaining the information.
During the pvp scenario they will shoot everyone who are not standing with their buddies anyway so adding namecolorization wouldn't change anything except knowing which enemy team the target belonged to. Most common names are known anyway over time without the namecolorization, so in the very end it would balance the confusion some "nice" players might have when meeting a new individual enemy alts that nobody has seen before.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:13:30 pm by avv »
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »

Artificial information, hardly. It's not color that comes first, the character has to be recognized for it to be colored, for example, if it's a faction member. Color is just a different way of sharing information in this case, someone might just copy paste those nicknames in an ordinary notepad and give that list to someone else (same principle applies you are providing "artificial information", that actually is quite common in this game, for example TC timer witch shows up when some team takes city, you might argue that rumors spread around the wasteland and etc. etc, but the same thing goes for color, rumors spread about wastelanders, your perception of how fast is appropriate is irrelevant in my opinion), but nobody is crazy enough to start memorizing hundreds of nicknames for a game that are seemingly anonymous, but a large part of them are just the same player with a different alt. I have to learn quite a lot of different subjects these days in real life, now someone says i should memorize some nicknames, that is just plain stupid if you ask me, it's a game for the countless time and start actually answering to more than one person and opinion, there is a lot for and not much against this feature. Fact that 83% of this community wants this feature back is a really good argument also, if you won't gonna implement this feature only because you and few other individuals think otherwise apart from the whole server ...

... then avv is right.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:41:36 pm by T-888 »

JovankaB

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 04:12:01 pm »

Fact that 83% of this community wants this feature back is a really good argument also

No it's not, it's appeal to the majority, otherwise known as "argumentum ad populum" and it's a fallacious argument.

Even if it wasn't fallacious - for example if the question was not if it should be reimplemented but if majority of people
already playing the game want it reimplemented, the poll isn't scientific in any way, because there is now way to tell
if the sample of people who voted are statistically representative in any way to the whole community.

And just because more people think something is right, doesn't make it right.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:20:02 pm by JovankaB »

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:04 pm »

I would like to point out that if someone is in your Name Colorizing, that means your team has met him before, and you would expect your mates to talk about them, NC is just more convenient way to show it...
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:15 pm »

No it's not, it's appeal to the majority, otherwise known as "argumentum ad populum" and it's a fallacious argument.

Even if it wasn't fallacious - for example if the question was not if it should be reimplemented but if majority of people
already playing the game want it reimplemented, the poll isn't scientific in any way, because there is now way to tell
if the sample of people who voted are statistically representative in any way to the whole community.

First of all, it represents the active part of the community, the one that gives feedback. Moreover, its more probable (regarding to voting and discussions) that more people want NC back than the opposite.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 04:44:09 pm »

Statistics doesn't lie, appeal to the majority? I wouldn't call that, it's simply that more players think that feature will bring good than bad and don't you think it is for a reason? Opinion witch shares more voice has more weight ultimately, behind those numbers lay individual players, who most probably will hold more chance to have another unique opinion about this due to their higher, raw numbers comparing of the opposing opinion individual group. Those players represent the proportion of all players who think differently than you, look at it that way, your opinion is the 17% and mine is 83%. :)

Just because a lot of players find it fun, doesn't mean you have deny it automatically, because you don't think it's "right" or "wrong", whether you like it or not, it's a matter of opinion for your "game style and balance", there is no general stuff here, it's not black and white.

Don't be so stubborn, just re-implement dat old NC, a lot of players will have mad respect for you and players happy, it's win-win.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:02:27 pm by T-888 »
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

Don't be so stubborn, just re-implement dat old NC, a lot of players will have mad respect for you and players happy, it's win-win.

There goes your argumentation, verbal destroyer. Speak to a developer, not a girl.
Jovanka, stop throwing latin verbs around, it's just your own opinion placed above everyone else.

Why is it so important anyway to know from where our char knows him? You want no metagaming? Fine. You didn't created the character. He knew that person before he crawled out of some hole. He got that name at a bar, where he was drinking, when you, his own inner voice wasn't ordering him around.

It's. Not. Important.

If it was red and you decided to shoot him it is because he looked dangerous. His inner voice told him so. Not because he was red in a list. Civilizated people like Mayck could decide NOT to shoot him.

Also, please give us the old name colorization back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:39:56 pm by Horatio »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 28 queries.