"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 16, 2024, 04:48:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Do bypass frequency on critical bursts need to be reduced?

Yes.
- 19 (57.6%)
No.
- 10 (30.3%)
Critical burs- uhm ... what?
- 4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Critical burst bypass.  (Read 8650 times)

Critical burst bypass.
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:18 pm »

Simple enough, it's a "feature" that isn't balanced at the moment, due to recent changes for damage multiplier you get bypassed for 650 instead of 800, yay. The cost for protection is too high, requires a lot of S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat luck to have whatsoever reliable protection against it, common builds just simply doesn't benefit from luck as much to involve it in their builds, if there would be perk requirements that would help a lot, but the problem would still exist as even with 5-6 luck the bypasses are just too frequent for how powerful they are.

I'd suggest 26% on 1 luck, 18% on 2, 12% on 3, 8% on 4 , 4% on 5 and having 6 or higher luck would grant you immunity.

Read, vote, respond. Thank you for your time.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
Re: Critical burst bypass.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »

Solar had talked about making bypass happen more often when your armor is deteriorated instead of dropping the DR. With a perfect state armor chance of bypass should be low even with 1 luck (15%?) and even with 10 luck a 40% armor would bypass pretty often.
Though I would be fine with simply lowering the chance like T-888 suggest.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »

Indeed, Solar planned to do that, but i don't see how that would go together with current high bypass chance, in case of those changes armor wouldn't actually provide protection only enhance vulnerability at a certain point depending on armor state.

I was thinking about the actual values, somehow i ended up with those numbers and the reason for them i think is because i support the choice and consequence principle, upon lowering a stat to a certain level it should leave you with a disadvantage, in this case lower bypass protection. Though i think the gap is too high at the moment as many builds just hardly benefits from luck, except the bypass chance. I wanted the values to mirror a state where the player character doesn't feel all too much punished for low luck, but at the same time make it worth while to increase it by few points gaining close to an immunity, whether in comparison with current 60% with 1 luck or 30% with 5 (in both cases just unreasonable).

avv

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

Those bypasses made playing with luck1 build in pvp rather pointless. Critbursts will instakill you, normal crits hurt like hell.
Perks and drugs like toughness and psycho shouldn't be able to be bypassed.
Top armors could have guaranteed bypass resistance. For example 20% for ca. That means that on top of the actual bypass damage, -20% modifier is aplied. Wrecking the armor would reduce the defense.

This way a luck1 guy with psycho and doubletoughness would have 30% resistance vs bypasses against normal damage bypasses. If he wears CA, 50% and 20% vs all other.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:52 pm »

Those bypasses made playing with luck1 build in pvp rather pointless. Critbursts will instakill you, normal crits hurt like

No they don't, when killing a player with a critical hit it doesn't show if it was a bypass, so your observation is incorrect most probably. It's just a bug, when you see these 600/300~ critical hits etc. etc. take notice they don't show up as bypasses in chat, but that is false normal critical bursts aren't able to do such amount of damage. Toughness/psycho builds have whatsoever no problem dealing with LSW normal crit-bursts, even survive avenger minigun critical hits, if you aren't sure i'll be on mirc later, we can go test that.

Top armors could have guaranteed bypass resistance. For example 20% for ca. That means that on top of the actual bypass damage, -20% modifier is aplied. Wrecking the armor would reduce the defense.

There's a reduction of critical power modifier on armors already, for CA it's 10% and it applies to all critical hits, bypass with 20% or without, it's going to be a insta kill. Better to just alter the frequency of them.

Perks and drugs like toughness and psycho shouldn't be able to be bypassed.

Implementing something like that could be tricky as 5mm AP/223. ammunition ignores -35%/-20% DR by default, so upon bypassing the DR modifiers on ammo should be ignored as well, just a mismatch of mechanics.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:26:44 pm by T-888 »

Johnny One Hex

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:13:15 pm »

The only way going to fix this gattling laser critical is if they lower the damage laser does to blue suits. A gatling laser hits a blue suit for 200-250 damage, the max multiplier is 3 now, so that is 200 damage x 3 which gives 600. Luck does not affect how often a character gets crit bursted/bypassed it just causes criticals to be more deadly when they do crit and bypass. Luck isn't the ultimate defense vs criticals that is a false sense of security if that is what you think.

Its more about damage resist the more damage resist you have to the attack type the less damage the critical well do when it comes to defending agiasnt crit bursters. For example you wear metal armor mk2 average damage gatling laser does to it is 40-60, you multiply that by 3 that is 120-180 top damage on critical now. If it does not bypass its balanced you just happened to get unlucky irl and somebody bypassed your armor these don't happen as frequently, so the average critical well be 120-180, its better balance than what it was.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:26:05 pm by Johnny One Hex »
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »

Sounds like you have really low luck

Dumping luck will hurt against crit bursters

It's not a sense of security, it's actual game mechanics, go learn the game better, then come back to discuss.

Johnny One Hex

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:16 pm »

It's not a sense of security, it's actual game mechanics, go learn the game better, then come back to discuss.

Its called a critical table learn the mechanics of it before you go crying about about being hit by a gatling laser critical.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »

That chart shows actual chance of getting bypassed from critical hits depending on your luck. I'm not crying about anything, but you sure are talking in the wrong direction. It's posted by a developer of this game, go argue with him.

Johnny One Hex

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:25 pm »

That chart shows actual chance of getting bypassed from critical hits depending on your luck. I'm not crying about anything, but you sure are talking in the wrong direction. It's posted by a developer of this game, go argue with him.

And where was I argueing and disagreeing with this? Even with 10 luck a gatling laser bypass is still going to do 600 damage if somebody gets a really high crit roll. Blue suit NO DAMAGE RESIST TO LASER 200+ BY GATLING LASER DAMGE MULTIPLIED BY 3 = 600 its kiddy math. There is man of steel perk to take for lower luck builds.

Jovanka posted that the damage multiplier to torso was reduced to somewhere around x3 for a high crit roll.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:47 pm »

Johnny One Hex , youre totally wrong about mechanics and also we dont give a fuck about bs getting lazored.

Lets face it, even if the chance to bypass is 0.01%, it will happen and youll be damn pissed if that happens to you. So either completely remove bypasses or make them a lot weaker (frequency has nothing to do with them imo)
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »

Then luck becomes an ultimate dump-stat and there is no consequence of dropping it, critical chance is not necessary for most builds.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:48:29 pm »

We can find other uses for LK. Chance to receive crit, power of crit etc.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:49:47 pm »

Chance to critically hit is the same frequency that alters bypass chance indirectly( lower chance to crit, lower chance to bypass), power of critical hit is altered by armors and perks already and as you see that's quite inefficient. Buff critical power modifiers too much, say goodbye to snipers.

Maybe there is something i haven't thought about, so if someone has some ideas, i'm all ears.

It just seems altering bypass chance directly is the most simplest and easiest way, it's just about changing values not implementing new features or twisting existing ones.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:56:59 pm by T-888 »

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:58:56 pm »

But problem with bypass is that they are fcking strong, instakill, while on the other hand, normal crit can be successfuly mitigated by various means. It was just an example, Im sure this marvelous community can think up something.
Critical power can be set only to reduce uncalled shots, so snipers should do just fine.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 31 queries.