"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:54:38 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Change the way town npcs behave  (Read 3138 times)

avv

Change the way town npcs behave
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

Unsafe town npcs are too agressive. If a player accidentally shoots one guy at BH caravan yard, he gets swarmed like this: http://clip2net.com/s/27lI1
If the player in question was a geared big gunner, he would have to burst them all. And those npc respawn in about 10 minutes.

In den, the whole metzger's will charge you if you hit a slaver or slaver npc. Den downtown you can get swarmed by metal armor guards from Becky's or Lara's gangmember for hitting a hobo.

In Redding you can get swarmed by ascorti's men and the mercdealer's guards for a misfire.

In New Reno Virgin Street the whole street is after you if you shoot a player, just like in safe towns. In commercial the barber, all the hookers and bums and the arms dealer will chase you forever if you don't let them kill you.

This needs to stop. In pvp locations the challenge must be set by players, not npc.

Have it so that when accidentally or purposefully shooting a town npc, only he will be agressive towards the player, no other npc joins. Wouldn't even be bad if the npc wouldn't even react, none of them drop any loot or give xp so it's not abusive in any way. Get rid of unsafe town reputations aswell, it serves no purpose.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
Re: Change the way town npcs behave
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:50 pm »

i agree. i accidently hit a bum in commerical last night and half of all commercals npcs went ape shit on me. made me rage hugh because the guy i was trying to fight got away. forever mad npcs and shit like that needs to stop.
Roaming the waste again.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 06:38:03 pm »

Why not make NPCs be frightened a little of the player like in fallout 1/2.
For instance in Fallout 2 you hit a junkie in the den or he goes crazy because of the jet and attacks you either way combat starts,so if he sees you with a leather jacket and a crowbar he will attack cause he thinks he has a chance to kill you.But if he sees you with a minigun and combat armor he will run or if he is hit to much he will try to bail so he doesn't die.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:03:25 pm »

Personally, i would much prefer if those npc had better weapon and hp, so you won't mess with them.

Now, these npc basically works as scenery... They have near zero impact on the battle. Combat tactics never include them. When someone shoot one of them, he is just annoyed a few seconds, instead of being afraid and struggling for his life.

Better make them stronger, than more and more like living scenery... (or instant dying scenery)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »

Have it so that when accidentally or purposefully shooting a town npc, only he will be agressive towards the player, no other npc joins. Wouldn't even be bad if the npc wouldn't even react, none of them drop any loot or give xp so it's not abusive in any way.

What about quest- and perkgivers?

avv

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

Personally, i would much prefer if those npc had better weapon and hp, so you won't mess with them.

But the problem is that nobody wants to mess with them. They just accidentally get hit and then the whole city turns against the player.

What about quest- and perkgivers?

What about them? I meant the rule should only apply in unsafe towns.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »

What about them? I meant the rule should only apply in unsafe towns.

Same here.
Maybe I misunderstood your proposal, but I'd hate having Miss Kitty dead everytime a leaderbuild visits Reno.

avv

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »

Same here.
Maybe I misunderstood your proposal, but I'd hate having Miss Kitty dead everytime a leaderbuild visits Reno.

If someone wanted to kill her and keep her that way, it's possible even now. But nobody does it. Problem is not that people want key/random npcs dead in unsafe towns, but that they do it accidentally.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:18 pm »

who cares about pvp players
add more npc please

Let the Force be with You.

Kool-Aid

• Unjustfully banned
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:51 pm »

Who cares about you.
Remove bambi.

I don't know why this hasn't been proposed earlier. I can't remember how many times I was raped in reno in solo fights because a swarm of angry mobs surrounded, thus blocked me because one bullet from my avenger missed its target.
Ever wondered why some guys enjoyed massacring the whole NPC population of Reno before/while PvP takes place  ? Here's your answer.
Go to Hell, infidel
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:05:43 am »

Now, these npc basically works as scenery... They have near zero impact on the battle. Combat tactics never include them. When someone shoot one of them, he is just annoyed a few seconds, instead of being afraid and struggling for his life.

Better make them stronger, than more and more like living scenery... (or instant dying scenery)
Agreed with you 100%, and having them as a force to look out would change pvp strategic drastically toward a better one in my opinion. Since it would make players to look out for the surroundings instead of just mindlessly bursting.

avv

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:22:55 am »

Agreed with you 100%, and having them as a force to look out would change pvp strategic drastically toward a better one in my opinion. Since it would make players to look out for the surroundings instead of just mindlessly bursting.

It would make things a lot worse. We don't need a new type of militia that randomly gets mad at people because they get hit accidentally. Bluesuit trolls would hide behind these npcs and try to make people shoot at them, that's already done with for example marcus in BH. Currently it's sometimes necessary to burst the whole town to freely walk there, it would be much worse if these town npcs were also dangerous.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:52 am »

If you kill an NPC it will remember you for months. The worst part is that other NPCs will help this NPC and you get surrounded. The solution could be simple, once a week (day?) the NPCs' memory should be erased so they don't attack you every time they see you, because it's terribly annoying.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:56:01 am »

Accidental hit is if you get the message "oops Y was hit instead of X" and if you look at it at those times nobody turns (turned) aggressive. Remember the "shoot him he is unpro" trick from NCR?
It has worked even on NPCs. Bursting with a weapon is different then single shots although rarely you can get the "oops Y was hit instead of X" accident message but most of the time the game consider its an intended attempt at killing your enemies. And although if we look at it from the way "hey he was hiding behind that girl so I either let him kill me or kill both of them" it may sound plausible answer in a city after some post-apocalyptic situation. Governing forces would probably shoot both. The resident that is trapped and the person who hides behind him with a weapon. But Reno ain't run by players so we shouldn't be able to go around and kill the residents there for our heart content just because someone run and hid behind them. Ofcurse they shouldn't give a shit about players killing other players. Would be quite bad if all town would be guarded it would remove tc from the game which wouldn't be a good since then only Hinkly would be left for as a fighting ground.
A good solution to avoid players hiding behind NPCs would be to give them a similar AI like the encounter ones have. Though with a different dialog something like "Hey pal you are standing too close I suggest you step back before I make you"

avv

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »

Remember the "shoot him he A good solution to avoid players hiding behind NPCs would be to give them a similar AI like the encounter ones have. Though with a different dialog something like "Hey pal you are standing too close I suggest you step back before I make you"

And when the npc tries to "make" the player to step back, he bursts the whole town.
In many situations players just have to stand next to npc for a while.
Think about it like this: if tc towns and reno were made to have pvp in them why should there be features that hinder the pvp activity? Don't let npc mess with players in situations where players don't want to mess with npc.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.