"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 26, 2024, 06:25:05 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Hub RPG - canceled  (Read 15981 times)

JovankaB

Re: Hub RPG - Work in Progress
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 08:21:10 pm »

FYI, considering the scope and size of the project, it probably won't start before the end
of the summer. First of all I don't want any pressure, life is stressful enough. Also summer
is the worst moment to start it, because there are other activities when weather is nice :P

will be there possibility of working for someone? like guard of caravans?
If someone will provide such possibility. I try to design an environment where interesting
projects could emerge, with full awareness about limits of FOnline :P

I like it. Great topic to improvise minor incidents on, too. I'm not sure how the Hub's stance on those (and NPC followers in general) is, but maybe mutant and ghoul followers could spark similar tension (or probably a bit more than tension in the case of mutants). Could easily see the case of a player fighting (verbally) for the rights of his trusted mutant sidekick in the face of rejection.

I already decided that slaves will be allowed. It's a large trading town so it needs a lot of
workforce to carry boxes :P The NCR is not a unitary state but a federation of towns
so I think they can have different laws about slavery. The laws of Shady Sands didn't even
extend to outskirts where Vortis operated. It's quite possible that powerful caravans that
lived from trade wouldn't let this law to be passed in Hub. The difference between these
towns would also open some interesting possibilities.

In the project I would like to put ghouls in town and they would have equal rights. I don't
know why there is no ghouls in Hub in 2238. Fallout canon ending says "With your assistance,
Old Harold brings the ghoul population of the Hub into equality with the humans. The two
sides work together, and the Hub prospers.". Considering their longevity they might quite
influential citizens. Maybe that's why they aren't visible :P

I don't like idea of Supermutants wandering around there though.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:23:52 pm by JovankaB »

Wieprz

• Wieprzem Być
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »

Will be there any possibility to Transfer/Rename already existing characters? i mean i would like to use my Hand to Hand character [no heavy handed] to "possibly" learn others in Unarmed arts or Outdorsman for caps

i really want to see this project alive and kicking i have already nice history for my character
*Kwiiiiiinnnn!!!!*

JovankaB

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 09:32:02 pm »

No transfer/rename is possible, if you have a nice enough background story of your character
you would be able to get 10k xp for a start to get to level 5.

Wieprz

• Wieprzem Być
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 09:58:17 pm »

Okay then, i think now i need to wait for start and post [in proper topic if possible] char history

Good luck with Project
*Kwiiiiiinnnn!!!!*

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 01:56:06 am »

I was thinking about the criminal 'underground' aspect of the RPG and thought; what if there is literally an underground?

What if the Hub gets a sewer system, a place beneath the Hub (but still within the confines of the RPG) devoid of law where criminals can start thier own society with its own cold-blooded set of rules?

It could also be a place that the deputized players could try to raid every so often, of course they would be treading behind enemy lines and wouldn't have the hub police for support!

Alternatively if it makes it easier this could simply exist underneath the water works as it makes sense for there to be some sort of drainage system in at least that part of town...

I would be happy to help with the map construction for this if the idea is adopted (or has in fact already been concieved) unless of course more skilled map makers would be prepared to do it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:58:44 am by jonny rust »

JovankaB

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:15 am »

Okay then, i think now i need to wait for start and post [in proper topic if possible] char history

Please wait with new characters, background stories or any activities in game made
specifically for this project. There might be official topic for this, but it won't happen
anytime soon. Because the project is in early conceptual phase, any characters created
now by players specifically for this project could be a wasted effort. Of course if you want
to do anything on your own now and simply join the project when it's ready, then great!

I was thinking about the criminal 'underground' aspect of the RPG and thought; what if there is literally an underground?

What if the Hub gets a sewer system, a place beneath the Hub (but still within the confines of the RPG) devoid of law where criminals can start thier own society with its own cold-blooded set of rules?

It could also be a place that the deputized players could try to raid every so often, of course they would be treading behind enemy lines and wouldn't have the hub police for support!

Alternatively if it makes it easier this could simply exist underneath the water works as it makes sense for there to be some sort of drainage system in at least that part of town...

I would be happy to help with the map construction for this if the idea is adopted (or has in fact already been concieved) unless of course more skilled map makers would be prepared to do it.

Jonny any new server-side content for this project like new maps or scripts to enhance
the roleplay would require each time developers supervision and assistance. Although
2238 developers are extremely nice people, they are also extremely busy people and
relying on their willingness and their time is very, very unwise. Also I would not like any
of the developers to be harassed about anything in this project unless some of them
offered a help personally and got involved in it. I think that we have something to prove
first, considering how the previous large scale Hub project ended. Both players and GMs.

So please do not propose whole new maps for the project. What is possible is:

[1] Modification of existing maps by using item hack: placing items that look and behave
very similar to static sceneries, floor tiles or walls. Ceilings are impossible to create.
Things like new maps in a location, stairs, ladders etc are impossible. This item hack can
only be done by GMs, it is quite tiresome, manual labor, and creating new maps by players
with the mapper would not help with it.

[2] Creating some additional locations around Hub, but they would have to be made from
existing maps and modified like in [1]. Obviously they can't be too complicated because
of the technical limits. I plan to make Hub Graveyard this way.

[3] Creating new graphics for the sceneries made like in [1], but it would require players
to download the Hub RPG graphics pack or all they would see in place of the new graphics
would be red rectangles with question marks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:46:46 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45:09 pm »

What kind of new graphics will it be and who will be in charge making them, JovankaB?

JovankaB

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 12:52:12 pm »

It could be town scenery objects. But I don't know if there will be any new graphics in the Hub.
It's a lot of work and it won't be added just for the sake of Hub looking different, there would
have to be a good gameplay or town theme / story reason for this. IF it would be really needed,
then we can worry to find someone to make it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:56:12 pm by JovankaB »

Wieprz

• Wieprzem Być
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:57 pm »

Will the amount of Houses for "special" characters be Limited? or ecery char will be able to have one?

Also there will be special places to wander off? like unique caves to find someone or something like that?
*Kwiiiiiinnnn!!!!*

JovankaB

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:25 pm »

Will the amount of Houses for "special" characters be Limited? or ecery char will be able to have one?

Also there will be special places to wander off? like unique caves to find someone or something like that?

There will be practically no limits in real estate, a single person could even own all buildings in theory.
But it's hard to imagine such situation. Town will start with all buildings in hands of chars controlled
by GMs (I call them GMNPC). They won't be interested in selling them probably, so you can't just
grind caps and hope to buy something from a GMNPC. If a building will be acquirable, then there will
be specified conditions for this. It may be solving some town mystery for example. Only GMs will know.
Obviously it will require to be present in town often (or a bit of luck), because GMNPC are just normal
chars and won't be available all the time. People running some interesting projects may also have
easier way to acquire some but it won't be guaranteed.

There will be some locations outside Hub that will be part of the project. I didn't think much about it
yet except for the Hub Graveyard with graves of characters that died (forever) in the project
(GMNPCs would die in some cases, players controlling a character also could decide about its death).
Adding a gravestone with description is little work for GMs and it's a nice detail IMHO :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:20:54 am by JovankaB »
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:02 am »

I hope ben kain comes back, he'd could set up gorgon office somewhere in hub.
yeah where is he anyway?
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:26 pm »

i suggest to add fixed outfit (skin) for hub citizens
like :

for male

and

for female

or other various skins

maybe add npc at supply store, which gonna *outfit* male/female 6+ lvl to that *skin*

points is:
bluesuit is not great
citizens in small town know each other - skin there is solution
if all players gonna use lj/clj/ma - no easy way to identity citizen / raider or worst / visitor
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:32:55 pm by Who Killed Bambi »

Let the Force be with You.

Tomowolf

• Cute Kittens and stuff.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:55 pm »

Well raiders can have tatoos, which would identify them as Khan/Slaver/anything.
h

JovankaB

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 03:18:30 am »

maybe add npc at supply store, which gonna *outfit* male/female 6+ lvl to that *skin*
It is impossible because of several reasons, the most important one is in the first post.
The project will be based on interaction between characters not on NPC dialogs / scripts.
Which of course mean it will move forward only when players and/or GMs will be around.
I hope I won't be the only person trying to make the place interesting.

points is:
bluesuit is not great
citizens in small town know each other - skin there is solution
if all players gonna use lj/clj/ma - no easy way to identity citizen / raider or worst / visitor
Probably the convention will be that bluesuits are any kind of underwear. You will have to
help yourself with imagination. Walking in it on street or in a building etc should cause
a reaction proper to the situation - who wears it, where, why and who else is around.
On a street it would be considered inappropriate.

The only exception would be if a character actually WEARS a vault suit item, then it would be
treated like an actual suit from some vault. Such characters would need to have a good,
interesting, logical rp story, then they could receive one such suit when the project starts.
But if they lose it, they can't pretend they still have it. They will have to get some normal clothes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:04:59 am by JovankaB »

codave

• Professional Noob Trainer
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 10:42:14 pm »

yeah where is he anyway?

Last I talked to Ben, he was having some internet connection problems that were preventing him from playing.  Some of the guys on his team might be able to tell you more.

I do believe this is the type of thing he would jump in with both feet, as well.  I hope by the time this gets implemented he's back around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 31 queries.