Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611744 times)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #2010 on: August 03, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »

Everything seems to work as excpected (I used some random filter to create specular map, so that's why it looks like crap), however it seems that it'll be required to have custom fo3d file for specular mapped skins, as it seems there's no way to apply effect only to layer.

I'll do normal mapped version and stealthboy effect the next and meanwhile create some thread with downloads and directions.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2011 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:28 pm »
Looks very promising :)

Have you had any luck with the shadow / highlight on the non-shiny materials i.e. bluesuit?

Offline runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »
Hmm.. that 2d/3d combination looks kind odd (Because of very bad quality background and HD quality character)
But i always think that old Fallout need some upgrades so it's not bad thing :)

« Reply #2013 on: August 03, 2011, 06:27:16 pm »
Hmm.. that 2d/3d combination looks kind odd (Because of very bad quality background and HD quality character)
But i always think that old Fallout need some upgrades so it's not bad thing :)

It's not about HD models on "bad looking background". It's about developing a render which makes these HD models look like the background, aka. Fallout-like and not stand out. Your statement was kinda odd.
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 03, 2011, 06:38:34 pm »
It's not about HD models on "bad looking background". It's about developing a render which makes these HD models look like the background, aka. Fallout-like and not stand out. Your statement was kinda odd.
Well.. i can be wrong too, because i'm not very good with these things (Like modelling or they terms etc..)
Maybe i should leave talking to who really understand about them ;)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #2015 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:55 pm »
Original sprites are based on quite high quality models, so that logically there's need to have reasonable quality of both art and renderer as well to emulate them correctly.
Only difference is that those models have to be as low detailed as possible without losing any notable details.
There're quite a lot new tricks and options not available buck in 90s so that it is possible to do everything realtime, and hence there's no need to render sprites anymore - which would be faster for both client computers and artists, but wouldn't be much of use though, because every single change would still result in thousands new frames required.
Not sure if death animations matter that much as well (all the gore might be still extremly hard to do realtime), and whether there's need for any pixelization (dithering might come useful though, because models would have more colors than enviroments, and can't be done on skins because they have to be mapped on models and shaded before they're ready, so it must have been done after all of this) as it'll be hardly notable outside of magnification, which is currently nearly useless anyway.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

« Reply #2016 on: August 03, 2011, 06:59:27 pm »
Well.. i can be wrong too, because i'm not very good with these things (Like modelling or they terms etc..)
Maybe i should leave talking to who really understand about them ;)

Nah. Do i look like a professional? I just know that, so i stated this and learning never did any damage, nor for me or you. So, it wasn't a "i'm-so-much-better-than-you-better-talk-to-the-hand-statement" :)
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #2017 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:52 am »
Shouldn't that thing rotate that radiation sign ? Also any date when these modells are going to be ready? And when is wipe coming? Lots of questions and no answers :)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #2018 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:31 pm »
Why should I rotate that sign? It's just like it is on the original sprite (check the tracker to make sure). Also, it wouldn't be used as the perlacement for the sprites, so it would look different in the game anyway.

No date on 3d models completion yet, as there's quite a lot work left undone. Can't say anything about the wipe, though.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2019 on: August 05, 2011, 05:06:55 am »
Also any date when these modells are going to be ready? And when is wipe coming? Lots of questions and no answers :)

There's a fairly long answer to that here, which roughly speaking, is still correct.

Since then, there's been progress in these bits :

#1-3 (body types, reshaping armours etc) currently making very good progress.
#4 (rigging / animations) is being looked at by a number of people.
#5-12 are at very early stages.
#14 and 15 (shaders / lighting) look to be making very good progress.

Effectively, it's a "look at the data available and calculate your own readyness date". Nobody knows, really. Lots of people are working away quietly, then suddenly appear to say "I've cracked the secret shader code" or "I've resized all the armours to all the body types" etc. Most of the progress is posted and discussed in this board - so if you read through it, you should have a fair idea of what's going on.

Wipe is absolutely nothing to do with the 3D stuff currently. Maybe the wipe after, or the one after that will be.

« Reply #2020 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:55 am »
I took Surf advice and made it look better from the distance. Progress:

Imho it looks more like tattoos now, so she won't look like wounded girl, next to male tattooed toon.

todo:
-one side of stomach
-thighs/groin
-moar tweaks

+ whole tribal

It goes very slowly, as I don't have too much time :< Uploaded the image as .png because it should look way better than .jpg's.

Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2021 on: August 12, 2011, 03:58:45 am »
MUCH better! :) Took the graphic you uploaded and looked upon it in relation to the normal desert tiles - very good. It looks more like a tattoo than a melee wound. ;) Though, I think it still can be zoomed out a bit. Anyway, you're doing a great job! Loving the progress so far and the ability of you to stand criticism and make things better upon it. I wish I could help with this stuff, but I can only do 2d stuff. :<

Offline Menempo

• Keigoris
« Reply #2022 on: August 18, 2011, 04:57:36 am »
One question: Should the laser rifle be held as a standard rifle?

Bad thing is that the sniper rifle is pretty much the same from long distance

I agree its hard to differ but making the stock more metallic and adding some red hi-light into the Rifle cannon making it look more techie could fix that. Or a white-steam smoke animation if possible to show that this weapon is running on a coolant and its obviously a weapon of hi-tech nature.

and Michael there's a big jump in technological evolution between 1980's and 2077. Or else Power Armor would look steam-punkish XD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:02:15 am by Menempo »
http://i48.tinypic.com/2iiwffo.jpg
Keigoris - "So what?! I'm a Deathclaw in human disguise! that dosen't mean i cannot be an addict to nuka cola!"

Offline jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #2023 on: August 18, 2011, 04:06:38 pm »
Imho it looks more like tattoos now, so she won't look like wounded girl, next to male tattooed toon.

That looks really nice! but imo it looks more japanese than tribal, maybe its a yakuza tat? Looks great!

@Surf, I only learned how do do this stuff a few weeks ago, you should give it a shot!

« Reply #2024 on: August 18, 2011, 04:27:05 pm »
That looks really nice! but imo it looks more japanese than tribal, maybe its a yakuza tat? Looks great!

@Surf, I only learned how do do this stuff a few weeks ago, you should give it a shot!
It actually is Japanese, lol. Irezumi. My tribals look way different and I made them only for males. Don't have screenshots tho'. I posted them somewhere in here.

EDIT:
Here it is. Old screenie;
http://i56.tinypic.com/v7cemr.png
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:30:36 pm by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!