Author Topic: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)  (Read 145809 times)

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Questions and Answers 3D (read the first post before asking a question)
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2011, 01:45:41 pm »
You can have a long answer too :)

I don't think anyone knows really - you could try and calculate a release date, perhaps, by looking at information, estimating time for each thing and adding everything together.

Firstly, look at the three trackers :
3D Graphics Development Tracker
3D Armour Development Tracker
3D Misc Item Development Tracker

That's pretty much a list of everything that needs making, but it's only the first stage.
That's making :
1 ) All body types, and variable skin textures for each.
2 ) Armours and textures for all armour types, to fit all body types.
3 ) Making all carryable objects (e.g. weapons and any other object which can be held)

After that :
4 ) Each body type needs to be rigged to a skeleton, then needs all animations to be produced for it (i.e. run, walk, dodge, shoot, hit, use etc).
5 ) Every armour needs attaching to all body types, and if necessary, with extra animations attached to it (to fit to the animations of body types above, additionally, long clothing 'flying back' when a character runs etc).
6 ) Every object needs sizing, rotating and positioning in relation to the model, and attaching to relevant animations (i.e. how weapon is held in hand, which animations to use when firing or hitting).
7 ) A couple of hairstyles, to be attached to models, resized, repositioned and animated (i.e. long hair man's hair 'flies back' when a character runs).
8 ) Special gory death animations need to be produced. May involve models, animations, particle effects?
9 ) Creating inventory icons and "object on floor" models for any new content
10 ) Scripting / mapping work to replace current people and objects
11 ) Adjusting timings of animations (I'm pretty sure that currently, the shot is fired and enemy is damaged, before the "gun is raised and shot" animation is complete)
12 ) Any other models, animations or textures required to create an equivalent of what we already have - i.e. you can play the game exactly as you can now, except the characters are 3D instead of sprites.

At that point, maybe it will be implemented for testing?

Some other optional things, probably not essential to test it, but would need doing at some point :
13 ) A "pixellation shader" needs to be written, to make the 3D models look more like the original sprites.
14 ) The lighting and shadows on the 3D models needs adjusting - if you stand a 3D man next to his equivalent sprite, the shadows on the right side of arms / legs and underneath the chin etc aren't dark enough.
15 ) If possible, "shiny maps" for the textures. Shiny surfaces don't shine at the moment - so highlighting can only be painted on, which will look wrong from some angles.
16 ) Refining textures or models, to make them better. Ideally with the end result that the 3D model would look identical to it's original sprite (i.e. you could stand them next to each other, and not be able to tell which was which).

So... when I add all that up in my head, I can't come out with a better answer than 'soon' unfortunately. As annoying as that may sound, there's really too many factors to calculate anything more accurately than 'soon'. Like all development on the game, it's done voluntarily, and people have school, or work, or 'fun and normal living' to do as well. It's done on those evenings where you say "Not tonight, dear" or "No, but I'll be out tomorrow night" or "It won't matter if that's done tomorrow instead".

One thing for certain however - we can definitely turn 'soon' into 'sooner' with some extra people helping out - even if it's the "boring stuff", it all helps.

Even for people who don't know 3D modelling or texturing so well, I think there's enough time to learn it, then become good enough to contribute something before we're all finished. People who know how to animate or rig models would probably be particularly useful, as currently every single model goes through Karpov, who despite personally managing to do the work of an entire factory himself, would probably appreciate some help from time to time. For people who don't want to learn such things, there's a lot of text files that need editing (all the guns need rotating correctly - this is literally just typing numbers in), or as always, suggestions, feedback, advice, thoughts etc are always useful.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:20 pm »
Just in case:
Question: Will sitting, laying, crawling and other animations of that kind will be added?
Answer: Yes, they are on to-do list

We will not add Fallout: Tactics movement like crouch-walking, etc. So if such animations will be implemented, it's only a kind of "emoticon" like waving hands and such.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2011, 04:22:10 pm »
Is there any way to "refresh" textures in the SDK, without having to quit and restart? Would help a lot with the "check texture in game, adjust texture, save texture, check texture in game" sort of thing.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2011, 04:52:02 pm »
As far as I know -  no, there's no such thing. At least, in the revisions older than ~170. I've always had to close the client and launch it again, when I've been working on a tribal texture as well as my old combat interface. I have to ask Cvet though. Sadly he's too busy lately.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »
How many armors and all do we have made so far?

Is there a thread with a count or list on how many are done as of yet?

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2011, 11:29:13 pm »
How many armors and all do we have made so far?

Is there a thread with a count or list on how many are done as of yet?
Check Graf's 3D armor tracker.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »
Is there any way to "refresh" textures in the SDK, without having to quit and restart? Would help a lot with the "check texture in game, adjust texture, save texture, check texture in game" sort of thing.

I must admit I've never tried it, but you could try some 3d debug/perf monitor applications that allow you to look into your video device content during application runtime, and manipulate the resources loaded there:

• Pix - it's in DirectX SDK, maybe it's hosted somewhere as standalone app
  • PerfHUD from NVIDIA (not sure if it requires some changes in client' exacutable, though)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:09:48 pm by scypior »

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2011, 10:29:19 am »
Can someone explain to me what's going on with the second model of the APA? For me, the old model was perfect. I hope no one plans to throw out the first model of the APA. Perhaps this new model will be used as the APA MK2? Please clarify because I have no idea what is going on :(

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2011, 11:01:54 am »
If we will have a better texture for the new model, then most likely both models will be used (Gray's version for mk1 and the Darin's one for mk2). I personally like the old model better, but it's always good to have some diversity. Also, please note, that no power armor model will be widely available to public, so you most likely will see it on the Enclave encounters and in Navarro only.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:51 am »
but as will now be able to use two types of models of APA using sdk? The new model is not bad, but I agree with you - first it looks very beautiful. Thank you for your reply. I have another question, as we are working on other models 3d? Is someone doing something or nothing happens? Recently, I have not seen any updates on the wikia.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »
Yes, you'll be able to use both models in your SDK (if it will be finished) and yes, there's some ongoing progress. I advise you to check the topics and wiki more throughly, to get news about all updates. But I have to say, that large part of the people are less active during the summer time, so we are doing less progress in general, than in other seasons. Still, we are moving to the finishing point, rather than just idling until some people reappear.

Offline Senrain

• The strong devour the weak.
« Reply #281 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:40 am »
Forgive me if this has already been asked but I wanted to know if 3D models will affect my ability to play the game.

I noticed Rats and Ants are in 3d and whenever I go into aiming mode. (Pressing A) I get a lot of lag, I've been told that it's just a glitch and will be fixed but I just wanted to confirm this.
Currently vacationing at Chernarus! Where the zombies are hungry, and everyone shoots you for beans!

http://dayzmod.com/

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #282 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »
Is it a lag (latency of the server response to your actions) or the FPS drop? Anyway, Fonline 2238 server and client is currently pretty much outdated, so if you experience some problems it may be fixed after next update.

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #283 on: July 23, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »
Noticed it on my old computer too.
2D critters only: 60fps
3D critters and or no 2D critters: 50fps
3D critters only after pressing A: 25 fps
3D critters with 2D critters: 20 fps
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #284 on: July 23, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »
Noticed it on my old computer too.
2D critters only: 60fps
3D critters and or no 2D critters: 50fps
3D critters only after pressing A: 25 fps
3D critters with 2D critters: 20 fps
I've heard about FPS issues with highlights as well. Not that I've encountered them myself though.
Maybe you could've post your VS/PS versions and Fonline Settings?
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."