Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611807 times)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1680 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »
Graf, can you update the armor tracker?

I'll do it tomorrow. I'm right now busy with converting all stuff (100+ models) to the both .obj and .3ds file formats.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #1681 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »
Ok, Graf sent me those files already, all I have to do is export them, add them to the list for both right hand and holstered (optional) with the proper scale.

But I have one thing to ask. I was thinking about using the same numbers that appear on the ITEM_PID list.

that would be
1      PID_LEATHER_ARMOR
2      PID_METAL_ARMOR
3      PID_POWERED_ARMOR
4      PID_KNIFE
5      PID_CLUB
6      PID_SLEDGEHAMMER
7      PID_SPEAR
8      PID_10MM_PISTOL
9      PID_10MM_SMG

and so on. I think this way it would be easier for developers.

The problem is that right now the weapons do not follow these numbers. So if I change those, we will have to change the in-hand weapon model by console, because it would not be right. Anyway, some of them do not match the inventory item, even the ones from VB.

So what do you think? I'll try to keep the numbers as they are when possible, but eventually they will be changed.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I have another thing to ask. When I upload the items and weapons, the coordinates for the right hand and holster will be messed up, because I won't take the time to fix it. So, what I am asking is for your help with this. All you need is patience, a text editor, and patience.
I will make a thread with the instructions on this, and where we will post the line with the correct coordinates for each item. After that I will merge them into the master file. Sounds like fun...

However, I haven't started with these item models yet.  ;)

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1682 on: May 27, 2011, 09:03:20 am »
So if I change those, we will have to change the in-hand weapon model by console, because it would not be right.

Is there any way to assign numbers to these models without of changing model by console? Right now it works fine with those models from repository.

I will make a thread with the instructions on this, and where we will post the line with the correct coordinates for each item. After that I will merge them into the master file.

Sounds good. I think we'll handle this.

UPDATE: Trophy of recognition is done

Download link

45 mm ammo (12 tris)

Download link

P.S. It would be nice, if you'll write some kind of short manual, how to make an animation and put it into the game, in case someone wish to try their powers in it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:53:09 pm by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1683 on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »
UPDATE: Trophy of recognition is done
Looks nice! Good job!
P.S. It would be nice, if you'll write some kind of short manual, how to make an animation and put it into the game, in case someone wish to try their powers in it.
Agreed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:38:38 pm by Graf »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1684 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »
But I have one thing to ask. I was thinking about using the same numbers that appear on the ITEM_PID list.

that would be
1      PID_LEATHER_ARMOR
2      PID_METAL_ARMOR
3      PID_POWERED_ARMOR
[...]

I was thinking similarly for the filenames of the models and textures - currently there's no "standard format", I have been particularly guilty of this when naming each file with no consistency, i.e. "ncr10_coat.png, male_cljacket_clothing.png, f_clj_jacket4.png" which has nothing to connect models, textures, in-game codes etc

So was wondering whether we should decide on a sort of "format" to stick to with model / texture naming, for example something like :

001_0_leather_armour_male_body
001_1_leather_armour_female_body
001_2_leather_armour_coat_part_1
001_3_leather_armour_coat_part_2
001_4_leather_armour_helmet
002_0_metal_armour_male_body
002_1_metal_armour_female_body
etc

This is just as an example, but perhaps something similar, which uses the ID number of the object, followed by other numbers / words to clarify everything. Obviously all the items which don't currently exist in game would need new numbers, but if it's consistent throughout, it would be much easier than trying to connect "Armor_male_cmbleatherJacket.X" and "Armor_Female_cmbleatherJacket.X", with "cljacket_texture.tga" and "f_clj_jacket4.png" for example - in a way similar to how the original has names like "HMLTHRCH.FRM", which once you could read the code, made connecting / locating specific files much easier.

I'm aware this may involve a lot of re-exporting work, but perhaps if it was done or agreed upon sooner rather than later, this would only be 100 to re-export, rather than 1000 - and if all future models used this, it could save a lot of work at a later date.

On the other hand, maybe we've done too much already to do this easily, and will just have to cope with our (my) inconsistent naming of files.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #1685 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
Luther, you are right, in fact that's what I'm doing with new weapons. I use "ITEM_" prefix for the textures. But there is no need to reexport, you can assign another texture file to any model from the text file, that's what makes the same hair model to have different colours, for example.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1686 on: May 27, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »
So, if I was to export and upload the finished female gangster suit now, should I use a particular naming pattern, or just do it "as is" and we correct them all later?

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #1687 on: May 27, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
Yes, name your textures with the prefix "ARMOR_". All exported armors and clothing models have this prefix because it was getting hard for me to find them on the folder. Also after that I put Female or male. I never worked much with textures so I did not bother with that, but it would be better if they were sorted the same way.
We can correct the rest later, but from now on we should use these patterns.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1688 on: May 27, 2011, 10:43:07 pm »
Cool. Should I group them as subsections like :

ARMOR_Female_suit_coat
ARMOR_Female_suit_hat
ARMOR_Female_suit_body (the clothing texture on the base model underneath)

« Reply #1689 on: May 28, 2011, 05:28:57 am »
Wow, I reciently heard of this project and I am amazed, not only from the game itself but for the community development, I am completely blown away.

Being a fan of fallout and having some experience in 3d development graphics (and indie mmorpg development as well) I would like to help and provide some models and textures. I have seen the general requirements for the models, but I got lost with the different trackings (I don't even know if they are up to date) and it would be very helpful if someone can point at me which 3D models are more required in terms of higher priority/most needed

Are decorative assets most needed? Weapons or clothings? NPC's? which ones?

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1690 on: May 28, 2011, 07:00:51 am »
it would be very helpful if someone can point at me which 3D models are more required in terms of higher priority/most needed. Are decorative assets most needed? Weapons or clothings? NPC's? which ones?

Hello and welcome  ;) You can see our trackers in my signature, there you can find all up to date info about ongoing progress. Depending on missing items you can deside which model you want to do at the moment. Decorations aren't needed because most likely they wouldn't be used, since developers want to make the game look as it was in F1/F2 except PC, NPC and critters.

If you're good with modeling, you can make this model, since no one started making it - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/NCR_Ranger_patrol_armor
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:09:51 am by Graf »

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #1691 on: May 28, 2011, 08:19:35 am »
as Graf said, you can start by creating armors, like the NCR ranger armor
but first we must tell you why we whant 3D:
we like the game in 2D and we think is way better than 3D, but with 3D we will not have to create over 9000 frames for every animation pic, so it will be easy for us to implement new animations with lower requirements

« Reply #1692 on: May 28, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »
Hi everybody!

Check out my ver of Medical supplies I've just made.

Cheers!

« Reply #1693 on: May 28, 2011, 07:45:20 pm »
as Graf said, you can start by creating armors, like the NCR ranger armor
but first we must tell you why we whant 3D:
we like the game in 2D and we think is way better than 3D, but with 3D we will not have to create over 9000 frames for every animation pic, so it will be easy for us to implement new animations with lower requirements

I totally agree, what I meant with the decorative assets is if some special sprite is required for any special location in the game (like a destroyed car for example). Nevertheless, I will go ahead and make that armor when I can; I have already posted in the 'Repository' thread with a question ;)

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #1694 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:32 pm »
Check out my ver of Medical supplies I've just made.
nice job, but it can be lowered a bit, we can make a box(or a pirate tresure chest) like and the texture to have the vizual efects