Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611697 times)

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1665 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:39 am »
Sadly I needed to modify some on Karpov's base model so the textures looks different then the ones used there. The new ones could be made to be similar since all char has the same topology and vertex count right now they differ from each a bit. Sadly I couldn't find yet the brahmin, gecko and robot I know I have them somewhere well maybe later I can get them too though I still don't know if its ok to start them before the humanoid critters done. Btw I've been making a model sheet of fallout critters it has a plenty of the critters lined up in all direction. Anyway here are the bodies in the rar I'm at this stage right now ghoul is done as far as texturing goes still if someone want to make other texture I put his obj and uv map in the rar too also as always I provided the blend file which has a badly lighted but good camera setting with the Fallout perspective. (The blend file has Uv seams for each model except the base ghoul which was reworked to look like a ghoul)
And one more important thing hands they aren't mapped good they need correction so keep that in mind if you start to make a texture for any of them.
http://www.2shared.com/file/yb_Nx1Mv/body_types.html

« Reply #1666 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:28 am »
Is there any chance of making the UV maps for the other body types compatible (or at least very close) with the existing one?

I mean like, if there is a texture drawn for a shirt and jeans, for example, that the same texture could be used for the junkie / fat man / dwarf etc - either exactly as is, or with minor changes, rather than having to redraw a full set of everything for all body types?
Have you ever tried to use RTT baking to have same texture on two models with different mapping? This will help I think.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1667 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:07 am »
Unfortunately no, I'm a bit of a 3D noob to be honest. I've used the "render to texture" to put light or shadows onto a texture before, but didn't even realise it could be used for anything else :P

I was kind of thinking if it was possible to rearrange the UV map, so it was head in top left, body in bottom left, legs in bottom right etc, it would be far easier to use or adapt all existing textures to the other models.

I quickly knocked together an example - which is obviously a bit messy (most of it is very misplaced and badly aligned), but it's halfway there just by moving the UVs around the sheet in 2 minutes, without redoing the whole thing. If the body, shoes, groin and hands were remapped, and the legs and arms were resized slightly, it should work perfectly.

Obviously redoing the UVs would be quite a lot of extra work now, but would save a lot of work later on - so you'd instantly have a full set of underclothes from the existing textures, so after resizing the existing armours (like we do already for female / male), you'd have a full set of armours available for each body type, and adding new ones would equally be as easy.

I'm sure some of them would need some slight redrawing, and the ghoul / supermutant would need quite a lot of retexturing, but this could be done by editing the existing textures, rather than fully producing many textures for each set of clothes - and we obviously don't want the situation where they all end up half finished, so you have "fat man can't wear a leather jacket".

I'd happily volunteer to attempt remapping these if needed (after I've finished the models I'm working on now) - of course, if anyone has a clever way of making this even easier, then completely ignore everything I said :)

« Reply #1668 on: May 24, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
Pile of Wood:

Tris: 76 (still too much?)

Download Link

The front sides of those piles look a bit odd if you look closer. That's because its a round texture on a hexaginal model but i speculate that the model will be small enough in game that one won't notice this.

What you think?

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #1669 on: May 24, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »
Pile of Wood:

awesome, but we can make only 1 wood for floor+hand, know what i mean?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:10:15 pm by Graf »

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #1670 on: May 24, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
Pile of Wood:
awesome, but we can make only 1 wood for floor+hand, know what i mean?

fixxed, also ye, maybe just having one piece of wood, at least for when holding it in your hands.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:11:04 pm by Graf »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

« Reply #1671 on: May 25, 2011, 03:42:42 pm »
Alright, here's the single one:

Download Link

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1672 on: May 25, 2011, 04:44:45 pm »
only 1 wood for floor+hand
maybe just having one piece of wood, at least for when holding it in your hands.

Once we'll have a 2-hands animation for carrying heavy items (such as ore or wood), it wouldn't be necessary, though I'll keep both models in case it will be used somewhere else.

« Reply #1673 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:42 pm »
Pile of Wood:

What you think?

I think you're doing just great! One small advice though - if you make those pixels at hex corners not black but a color of adjacent sides (brown) - it will trick human eye a bit easier :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:33:03 pm by Graf »

« Reply #1674 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:30 pm »
Thanks. Actually i used the same wood texture to fill those "black" areas. The picture was rendered without any lights/effects. That may be the reason that it appears so dark. If you open the model and lighten up the scene a bit (with a spot for example) you'll see it :).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:20:05 am by Graf »

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1675 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:38 pm »
Here's what I did recently:

Mega Stimpak (aka Super Duper Stimpak) 190 tris, but it couldn't be optimized without of loss in the model quality, so it will stay like that. Moreover, I'm not sure if it gets in-game.

Download link

Chemisty Journals/Big Book of Science (68 tris)

Download link

and the Cat's Paw magazine issue #5 (12 tris)

Download link

I also gave a try on the electronic lockpick MK1, but I didn't succeeded with texturing, so if anyone wish to texture this model, it would be appreciated.

Download link

P.S. I'm also waiting for more works from you, guys. There's not too many of them left undone.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:59:36 pm by Graf »

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #1676 on: May 26, 2011, 08:36:52 pm »
Hi, It's been a long time. Sorry for that. I'll go checking out the many pages now. .... done

I see a LOT of good stuff. Also new people , that's very good. Some of the textures are amazing.

I'll be checking the other threads....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:00:04 pm by Karpov »

« Reply #1677 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »
Hi, It's been a long time. Sorry for that. I'll go checking out the many pages now.
The king is back! Long live the king!  ;D
Good to see you back on board, mate!
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1678 on: May 26, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »
Woohoo ;D Finally you're back!  :) I'll send all our latest progress asap.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:58:08 pm by Graf »

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1679 on: May 26, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »
Isn't it Karpov himself? Welcome back aboard, mate! Ready to keep this thing rollin'?

Right now making low-poly version of meal, and maybe will give a shot to texture Graf's electronic lockpick.

EDIT: Gaah, I'm not in the mood of modelling today, will do it tomorow.
Also, Graf, can you update the armor tracker?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:29:16 pm by Haraldx »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.