"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 09, 2024, 09:14:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A New Folk Here  (Read 3060 times)

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
Re: A New Folk Here
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »

Vic, even if you were the only good-guy here, imagine the outstanding challenge of fighting against nearly all other players who are wholly tyrants! Okay it's not that bad, but i hope you'd play it a while even if it was.

Also do you know about the build planner? http://www.nitue.net/#fcp/index
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 12:38:14 am »

Avoid NCR like the plague.  Also if anyone comes to stand next to you run away as it will probably be a thief wanting to take your 3 caps.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »

Avoid NCR like the plague.  Also if anyone comes to stand next to you run away as it will probably be a thief wanting to take your 3 caps.

NCR can be fun if your bored
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »

The wasteland is like a third world country, people are desperate and will kill you for your shoes. Trust no one.

JovankaB

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »

Almost isn't all.  Jeez is everyones view so warped?

No. There is a lot of people who won't shoot unknown people on sight, including people doing PvP, but
if you start doing it you have guaranteed that they will remember you and shoot you. Or even hunt you.

The idea that you can't afford not shooting unknown people on sight is total BS and just a poor excuse.
Also bad advice for a newbie IMO. Getting into fights and making enemies won't help you before you
learn how to play.

Still, you shouldn't trust anyone you don't know.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:32:20 pm by JovankaB »

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 08:52:00 pm »

Hi nice to see new players.
Here is something everyone should know when starting this game:
It's not that the game is actually hard, but there's no difficulty curve, so the biggest challenge for a new player are actually the first few days. A fix to the difficulty curve  afaik wouldn't be established by handing out freebies, but by gating areas that introduce progressively difficult situations and concepts, which flies in the face of what the game is.

In fact I'd argue that difficulty isn't an obstacle, but information or rather lack thereof. As is, a new player is thrown into the same gameworld/circumstances as an experienced player with several L24 builds. Since the former isn't forced to pvp the latter, this isn't so much a problem in itself. What is a problem, though, is that a new player not only has no clue what to do, but often comes from a background, where the only possible expectation for Fonline can be "Fallout MMO", which it is actually quite a bit removed from. Throw in the unexpected possibility of pvp anywhere due to basically no safe zones, which often results in distrust in the player base and you basically get massive frustration. The big problem here imo is not so much difficulty, but how to convey a few essential points:

• You're not the Chosen One.
  • There is no difficulty curve. Your first few days are your trial by fire, it will be easier after that.
  • Other players can and will abuse you. Anytime. Anywhere.
  • Until you figure some stuff out, you'll fail constantly. Even after that, get used to death and loss. Just accept it.
  • You're not the Chosen One. And in fact you never will be. The game doesn't revolve around you and doesn't give a flying shit to begin with. Deal with it, at least it's not going to get harder.

The reality is, as is, the mod will never be big. And that's fine, the game experience itself is simply too niche. What I did observe however, is that practically every new player expecting a Fallout 2 MMO is raging like crazy and, if no intervention happens, quits a few hours/days in. However, new players without expectations or with the mindset of not having everything handed to them are doing perfectly fine or at least as fine as can be expected in my experience. Granted, sometimes it's just sheer luck, if an experienced player decides to show you the ropes, you will have a much smoother start than on your own. But in the end they're all facing the same starting conditions and those with the appropriate mindset fare exponentially better than those that aren't prepared to be treated by the game like an intruder. Which is basically the piece of information we ideally want to be able to convey to every new player.

Senrain

• The strong devour the weak.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 07:55:23 pm »

No. There is a lot of people who won't shoot unknown people on sight, including people doing PvP, but
if you start doing it you have guaranteed that they will remember you and shoot you. Or even hunt you.

The idea that you can't afford not shooting unknown people on sight is total BS and just a poor excuse.
Also bad advice for a newbie IMO. Getting into fights and making enemies won't help you before you
learn how to play.

Still, you shouldn't trust anyone you don't know.

I'm not encouraging him to kill all the people he sees, I'm just telling him how much he will die and how easy it is to just turn to the dark. I'm sitting on the fence myself, helping bluesuits but acting with extreme caution around anyone who is well armed.
Currently vacationing at Chernarus! Where the zombies are hungry, and everyone shoots you for beans!

http://dayzmod.com/
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.