Author Topic: Clothes and armor making - the beginning  (Read 19837 times)

Offline NastyKhan

• One man army: Graphic, music and game designer.
Clothes and armor making - the beginning
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
Hail,

I think I already learned enough about 3d (just click here) to begin working on clothes and armors. The point is.. i dunno where to start really :P I think i will need some example models (2 would do the job), human body models, and some hints about general rules. I read that some part of armor and clothes are actually just "layers" on naked model with new textures. The last hing - i have no idea how to make an armor usable. Should i add some "bones" or something?

I'm a fast-learner but i need those informations to start.

Thanks.

You may also click HERE to see my 3d items and weapons.

~ Sorry for any language bugs. Doing my best.

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Clothes and armor making - the beginning
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »
It depends how much you like reading :P

The 3D work has been a pretty open process, as other than a few PMs here and there, it's basically been entirely coordinated through these forums - so if you read the entire of the 3D Development board, you'd pretty much know most of what anyone else does :)

For a smaller level of reading material, I'd recommend looking through the tutorials on here first. These should include some information about the layering and structures, and also some downloads for template files (please tell me if any links are broken). There's a part 2 for the rigging which I should really get round to doing, but you might be able to work things out yourself by looking at what's there so far and then testing a little yourself. If you're able to read Russian, or interpret Google Translate clearly, there's a load of information on fonline.ru as well.

There's a couple of SVN repositories which contain things "done" and "half done". These should be linked in the tutorial thread.

Regarding what models to work on, if you look at The 3D Armour Development Tracker, that's pretty up to date. There might be a few in the suggestions thread, but I'd try and focus on the existing ones first.

I'm currently testing some things with the tribal and vault textures, but if you scroll down a little the male robe model certainly needs doing (unless Pistacja is still planning on doing this). There is a female one which should be tweaked for this. Some of the armours might be tweaked in future (I'd certainly like a 2nd go to improve some of the ones I've done), but essentially if it says "missing", it needs doing. If you can create the look by texture alone then do so. Looking through the existing ones should give you a rough idea of how they've been put together.

If you have time to learn rigging for these models, then that'd be awesome - there's a lot of rigging work that needs doing. As said, it should be a little easier once I write that tutorial, but if you're a fast learner, if might be quicker to follow up until "rigging a hat" and then just playing yourself until you make sense of it. If you don't have time for the rigging, don't worry. Filling those "missing models" is still urgent and important.

Hope that all makes sense to you. Feel free to ask any questions if not :)

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
Ok. I'll need a base human male model (the link is dead), and a texture (i'll grab it myself). This is a model for "Hero" char, right?

<few minutes later>:
Ok, i began working on SDK.

FIX required:
4) Copy the contents of "fonline_3d_dats" into the root of the new folder
Lies! Those files should be put Client folder instead, where Fonline.exe file is located.

Again, the soldier nearby will not even blink. He's seen it all before.
Rolling on the floor rotfling.

<few minutes later>:
Server is working fine.. Hmm.. So there are total 15 layers?? Lots of.

22:30:
Oh.. Now i get it. 153 is top clothes, and 155 is pants, right? hmm..

22:38:
Nope. 153 is just for armors, while 155 is clothes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:39:47 pm by NastyKhan »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »
Yes, it's for the male hero character (and female normal character).

Cheers for reminding me about those links - base models are now here :
CR_HumanMaleStrong.X
base_male_human.obj
base_male_human.3ds
base_male_human.wings

CR_HumanFemaleNormal.X
base_female_human.obj
base_female_human.3ds
base_female_human.wings

These should be the Karpov originals, converted into a few formats.

Also, there's this 3-1 Aligned human.obj. I think this one is rotated 180ยบ from the original. Can't remember exactly why, but for some reason this was needed for lining up models to rig. It's probably something to do with exports from some programs flipping models. Anyway, this definitely lines up for rigging stuff, but I think the model itself is a little broken.

subset map male.psd will contain a base human texture (note the base human texture might change a little in the future depending on "research").

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »
Darn. This thing is much MUCH more complicated than i though..

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 01:04:57 am »
Ok. I just crafted my first testing skin, the Uhlan clothes (just for testing of testing)
http://screenshooter.net/0805776/uwraehc

So.. Now i have to figure out, how to test it ingame.

Edit:
It works! I'm an Uhlan! http://screenshooter.net/0805776/vqcfpcc

Edit:
Ok, twas easy. What about model armors? Let say.. how to make a metal armor? I mean - i know how to import male human to blender, and make a model of armor + texture it. But what next?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:40:46 pm by NastyKhan »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:29:09 pm »
Cheers for spotting the error in that (now corrected). By your screenshot, I assume you managed to follow the rest successfully - nicely done! :)

If you're following the rest of the tutorials, let me know of any other errors. If it all seems to work, I can copy them onto the Fonline wiki, and maybe sort of finally get round to actually doing the next tutorial :)

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »
I edited my post just the moment you replies, so i will ask again: How to make new MODELS works?

Edit:
Question 2: If i make a clothing-texture for a male hero model. Will it be compatible with other male models? Weak, Normal, Heavy, Mutant?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:47:35 pm by NastyKhan »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:33:31 pm »
1) Rigging. There's a basic bit covered in the tutorials, which should cover making a hat, rigging it and making it appear on the character in game. I haven't written beyond that (i.e. for more complex armours), but the process is much the same, and you can probably work it out yourself quicker than I can write the next tutorial :)

2) Basically, yes :
UV alignment stuff
Some textures will need adjusting slightly, but most should be pretty usable as is.

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:53:42 pm »
Rigging sounds scary but i will try.

About skin adjusting - are there somewhere downloadable models for the rest of characters? I'd like to begin making clothes for weak NPCs and it seems that it would be hard to work on HERO model. Plus - i see no way to test it.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »
NastyKhan, i admire your enthusiasm! :) Go for it, that's the spirit we need!
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:20:46 am »
As Lizard says, admirable enthusiasm :)

The other body models were downloadable somewhere, but I think it was all on megaupload. If you can't find them on the forum anywhere, I'll try and upload the ones I've got.

Currently, there is no easy way to test them in game, as the characters themselves are not rigged. I was actually thinking about exactly this during this afternoon. I think I could do something with this, but it's not going to get done over the next few days anyway.

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:58 am »
Thank you guys, but we will not build a game on enthusiasm only ;)

Luther - get the new models working in game (and testable) as fast as possible. Especially "weak male".

Lizard - as soon as i can i will begin producing new armor models for "Hero body". Your goal will be to teach me, how to make it work. I saw your tutorials, i know you can do it.

and Graf, as the one responsible for tracker lists will help me finishing remaining items.

I will also need the list of "Hero model" CLOTHING required. Not armors but just clothing (textures). I will do that in the meanwhile.

Let nothing stop us, Comrades!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:34:32 am by NastyKhan »

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:49 am »
Wow, Nasty great work. I hope you make many great clothes for characters. Keep up good work.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 02:18:27 pm »
Hold on easy rider.
"Luther - get the new models working in game", how does it sound? "Luther - i could need your help with working models in game" would sound more appropriate.

I can see you're burning with enthusiasm, but that doesn't authorise you to chuck out orders.

So. Luther will need results as textured models and then you ASK him to help you. So let's get down to business. Also, i want to know what my padawan can and what not, so maybe i'll help him. Because, as you say, i can.

Here you have body types as Wavefront and the list of armors

I want to know if you can select multiple faces, duplicate, scale, mark edges and seams, projectionpaint, and if you have knowledge in Photoshop - if not i'll learn you everything i know except for Photoshop, because i'm not proficient at texture creation.
Wasteland is a tricky business.