"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:59:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some New Quest Ideas  (Read 1726 times)

BenKain

• Independent Developer
Some New Quest Ideas
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »

Alright guys, since the server was down today, I finally started toying with the SDK. I've got Mapping and Dialog scripting down, so all I need now is to bounce some ideas around with everyone here. I harbor no illusions that these will be used in the game, but I'd like to take a shot at it. Maybe I'll crank out enough shit that there is a nugget of gold somewhere.

WestTek Scaver; BoS Faction Quest; Repeatable;
Now that you are an established member of the BoS (must be an initiate and have at least 150% in one weapon skill) Paladin Quevos has an important recon mission for you to undertake. Recent scouting patrols have reported that, with the proper gear and some tenacity, the WestTek facility east of Bakersfield can be safely scouted and scaved, after nearly a hundred years of FEV and Rad contamination. Most interesting to the BoS, the facility is said to contain many working Gause and Power Armor models. After obtaining a few Rad-X and preparing yourself mentally, Paladin Quevos gives you the location of the ruined WestTek facility. The Facility itself is four levels, with stairs down to the next level. It is populated by robots similar to the ones that you would encounter in the Toxic Caves. Constant rad levels are about 1/4 of the Glow. The final level has a "boss battle" against a very powerful robot. With the facility cleaned of enemy robots, you can safely scav the building. You do not find any working models in the facility, but you do find a broken Gause Rifle. It will have to do for the BoS, because everything else has already been scaved or is beyond repair. With no choice, you return to Quevos with the broken rifle. To your surprise, he is excited to see you alive and with something possibly useful. He takes the broken rifle from you, saying in a few months the techs could have a working gun out of it. Quevos congratulates you one more time before giving you your reward and sending you on your way.
Possible Rewards: Caps, One-time BP, HQ Ammo, and pretty much anything else. BoS has access to a lot of goods. XP as well.

Harolds Seed; Open Quest; Non-Repeatable;
Harold has a long and storied past, much of it even he can't remember. Because he has such memory problems Harold often uses items of sentimental value to jog his seedy brain. Unfortunately for him, he lost a very valuable item while he was aiding the Great Exodus from Necropolis to Gecko. The biggest problem is, he can't even remember what the item was, but he is absolutely sure he needs it, and is willing to pay for it's retrieval. His only lead is that he was dropping seeds from his head tree like mad on the way to Gecko. He recommends you start at Necropolis and follow the trail of  FEV mutated tree saplings. You find the first sapling in Necro's Hotel district. Activating opens a quest encounter, just North of Necro with Tribals worshiping the sprouted sapling tree. They attack on sight. When they die, the next Encounter opens a little further north. There are four more encounter locations, each with critters of increasing difficulty. When the player reaches the fifth and final sapling location, they find it literally swarming with mantis. After they are killed, the player finds a battered Vault 13 canteen at the base of the final sapling. This must be the item Harold needed! You return the canteen to its rightful owner, and Harold rubs it affectionately, giving you a brief account of his part in the events of FO1 and how he got to Gecko. After that he thanks you immensely.
Possible Rewards: Caps, XP, A seed from Harold's head used to plant a large fruit tree at your base or tent, Mid-Tier weapons and Ammo.

A Day With Sally Piper; Open Quest; Non-Repeatable;
 (Requirement 6 CHA) During an uneventful visit to the Hub, you come across a orphaned young girl, crying about her lost family. If you choose to help her, she will tell her sad story of her parents being taken by slavers. She will then join your party as a temporary addition, with only the ability to flee. She has one lead, the Slavers mentioned Vault City as one of their drop-off points. You must travel to VC, if Sally dies on the way, the quest is failed. When you reach Vault City, Sally mentions that one of the Guards at the slave cages might know where her parents might have been taken. Asking the appropriate guard will reveal (with a small bribe or high speech) that the Slavers in question moved through Vault City about two days ago on their way to the Den, and Sally's parents were defiantly with them. This then opens an Slaver camp encounter between Modoc and the Den. Entering the encounter, the slavers immediately demand why you are there. Here you may choose whether to buy Sally's parents for 200 caps, or kill the slavers and free the parents. Either way, success means you have reunited a lost wasteland family, something that does not often happen.
Possible Rewards: XP, Nuka Cola and assorted low-level stuffs, and a warm gooey feeling in your heart (may in fact be indigestion)

Raiders being Raiders; Raider Faction Quest; Repeatable;
 Now that you are an accepted member of the raiders, they have an important task for you. A small settlement south of Redding has failed to pay it's "protection fees" and your being sent to collect, either skins or caps, your contact doesn't really care which. A small tent encampment encounter opens. When you arrive, you are greeted fearfully by the "Mayor" of the small settlement. Cha 8 or higher allows you to "coax" the money out of him without any trouble. Otherwise, or if It just strikes your fancy, you may choose to slay the inhabitants of the small camp, making a fine example of them. Either way, your Raider contact is pleased, and rewards you accordingly.
Possible Rewards: Caps, XP, Raider Rep +,

Enclave Shakedowns; Enclave Faction Quest; Non-Repeatable
Now that you have become an accepted member of the Enclave Remnants, they divulge to you that their influence has been waning of late. Armed with a badge and a gun, your Enclave contact sends you out to gather intel on the rapidly growing NCR, and report back to him. You must travel to the NCR, and meet with an inside man, a ranger undercover for the Enclave. He gives his report, leading you to believe the NCR is preparing their Ranger teams for some sort of combat operation. Not wanting to leave anything out, your Ranger contact gives you directions to an NCR staging ground, just East of San Fran. Fearing a strike against the Enclave from heavily-armed Rangers, you travel to the camp for more intel. When you arrive, instead of finding a combat outpost with rangers and soldiers, you find a large trade convoy and learn that the NCR is simply trying to open trade relations between the Shi and the Hub. You return to the Enclave base to report your findings. Your Enclave contact is both shocked and worried. Trade between San Fran and the NCR would cripple the Enclave's power-base in the area. He sends you back out to interrupt the agreements. He offers you two ways to go about this: Either kill the traders protecting the convoy or convince Ken Lee (or applicable NPC) that trade agreements would go against Shi law (6 Cha). After effecting one of the two options, you return to your Enclave contact who happily rewards you for your time.
Possible Rewards: Caps, XP, EW BP, Or High-Tier energy weapons

I have more ideas to come, but these are the ones I've started mapping for. Any constructive critics would be greatly appreciated! 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:06:48 pm by BenKain »
Re: Some New Quest Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

Nice quest ideas.

Small suggestion about the Sally Piper quest:
Killing the slavers should have the same reputation consequences as killing slavers in random encounters.
Buying her parents freedom could result in some positive rep with all the same npc groups as killing slavers, but no negative rep with other groups as you don't kill slavers.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »

Good point, Slaver rep should defiantly go down with Slaver killings and the poorer inhabitants would revere you either way, increasing rep with places like VC courtyard and Hub Citizens.

Harold's Seed should also provide small reputation gain to the BH, Gecko, and Necro ghoul groups.

Enclave shakedowns should increase SF and Enclave rep and drop NCR and Hub rep.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:16 pm »

Quest ideas.. they are pretty useless to suggest, if you are lucky though someone maybe could make you whole quest.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:28 pm »

In case you missed it, I'm making the quests myself. I'm just looking for feedback on the story ideas.
Also seeing if anyone wants to script events, I can certainly learn as I have my C++ certs, and Angel apparently is pretty similar, but I'm a lazy bastard. Plus mapping and writing are more my forte.   
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

this proposal I like, mainly BOS quest. add quests is a very good idea, but contented himself with the fact I had completed the task that is already in the game. more quests = more fun for solo players.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:56 am »

Interesting. More quests is always positive (even the "go to location X, kill Y" ones, imho), especially if they are well thought like these ones. Moar Fallout! :P

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:55 am »

I like the Enclave quest a lot, since the faction has nothing to offer ATM and i think some repeatable scouting/raiding/trading/blackmail quest would be really welcome.

BenKain

• Independent Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:24 pm »

Weird that this got necro'ed, but I actually have a lot more like this. I can post them here if anyone can prove to me the they will be read :P
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »

its a lot of work to map all these things properly , and even more work to script it and do some dialogs ...

but the ideas from the sratch are looking good ...

i was planning similar things some time ago , but only thing that is left is some inclomepete entrance map ...

idk if it is compatible with your mapper , but if u wish u can use it / modify it ... heres the link :

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/82775089/file.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:34:19 pm by FrankenStone »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.