Author Topic: Awareness + 3D = useless... Or maybe not...  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Awareness + 3D = useless... Or maybe not...
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:25:28 pm »
Now. We all know that there was this issue about awareness becoming less useful as you will be able to tell the weapon and armor anyway. I propose when a player doesn't have awareness, he sees things like just in regular game - All CA's look like CAs, all rifles look like a FN FAL, every pistol looks like a 10mm pistol, all SMGs look like 10mm SMG etc. etc. Now, as soon as the player gains awareness, this "client side model masking" is disabled and weapons and models look what they should look like. This doesn't sound simple, yes, we might need changes to the FOnline engine, but hey! It's not impossible, is it?
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
Re: Awareness + 3D = useless... Or maybe not...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »
Your solution seems perfect to me. It might be not that easy to implement, but it definitely worth it. Though I have to note, that this kind of "cosmetics" isn't what needs to be done by the first 3D release. Stuff like that, may come later, when a lot of other things are finished and polished.

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
Nice idea Haraldx :) I would love to see this implemented.

Offline NastyKhan

• One man army: Graphic, music and game designer.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:55:22 pm »
Sounds good to me. After all - it is the client what "decides" what to display, and how to do it. But don't forget about sounds - they can reveal the truth ;)

Nice idea.

You may also click HERE to see my 3d items and weapons.

~ Sorry for any language bugs. Doing my best.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:18 pm »
After all - it is the client what "decides" what to display, and how to do it.
I ofcourse presume the model rendering is fully client side and not server side.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Gray

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:54:02 am »
Isn't HP displaying not enough?
Hiding weapons and armor we loosing most benefits from implementing 3D.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:06 pm »
I think it is better to change the awareness perk. Like, it tells you how much ammo is in the gun, but not what gun is used, etc (because you can see what gun is used anyway).

Offline Gray

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:05 pm »
I think it is better to change the awareness perk. Like, it tells you how much ammo is in the gun, but not what gun is used, etc (because you can see what gun is used anyway).
Brilliant! Aware person is smart enough to count shots or even can see bullets in the clip or something like this.
Hiding weapon is not an option, it's too much work to waste. There are lot of ways to make that perk usable even in 3D.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:40:33 pm »
I agree with Gray and Lexx.
I think showing hp is what makes the perk important. I don't even think showing ammo is necessary. But I wouldn't mind it

Offline NastyKhan

• One man army: Graphic, music and game designer.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:56 pm »
It could somehow inform about character profession. Not sure how though. Maybe something like "He seems to be a skillful gunslinger" if small guns skill is higher than 200%. Or "Something is telling you, that she might be a doctor" if the highest skill is doctor or first aid. Or "You could swear that you saw him before sniping geckos for fun" if sharpshooter perk has been picked.

You may also click HERE to see my 3d items and weapons.

~ Sorry for any language bugs. Doing my best.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »
Something with professions would be cool

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:42 pm »
Instead of hp showing I would prefer if awareness would give infos to similar what NastyKhan wrote.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:22 pm »
i second opinion that making all weapons look the same would just deprive game of what 3d will do for it. and it is retarded ::)
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 05:53:50 pm »
Hiding weapons and armor we loosing most benefits from implementing 3D.
Not true. Since awareness is now a support perk and any half-assed build can get it, even 1 PE melee builds, I hardly think this would make the work go to waste - BGs ussually have 6 PE, unarmed/melee have 1 PE but have 100+ combat skill, snipers have way higher PE. At worst some stupid crafter and miner alts will not be able to get this perk. But then again, the perk is so easy to get it might as well not change anything at all, since you can get it from lvl 1 sometimes.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:14 pm »
you dont really know how awarness will be in 3d era, above that, all what you said is not an excuse.
i still say it is retarded
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)