"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 11:26:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: FOnline as a social game.  (Read 4399 times)

avv

Re: Should be a Fonline social game?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:17:44 pm »

It's not the lack of trust that causes problems. Once you find people you wanna stick to, then they are your pals for long time. Unless you yourself have the tendency to switch groups fast. The actual problem is that the features don't support teamwork enough. They try to force it, but that's not the way to go.

We got these quests that demand more than 1 people to involve with differend chars. You might expect that they increase teamplay. Wrong. They increase cheating. It's faster to do that gunrunners mutant quest alone with dual logs and alts than with friends. I'll explain why:

Max benefit is received if you speedrun it. That means knowing exactly what to do and when and deciding how long you want to do it. If you do it alone, you always know what to do and can decide when to quit. If you do it with friends, you have to wait for them and can't decide how long you want to do the quest. Or they have to wait for you, works both ways.

Farming is also better alone. You get to keep all loot and don't have to wait for anyone.

Base requires multiple chars to get. It's easier and more comfortable to get yourself 3 alts, tag the leader and log off than find 3 pals to help you.

Only in pvp teamwork is actually helpful. That's why pvp will be always the activity that remains when everything else is gone.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:34:27 pm »

I might add to avv's post:

No shared experience gain, only the killer gets all.
This encouraged last-hitting which is against teamplay, if you don't share the kills equal.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:43 pm »

Farming is also better alone. You get to keep all loot and don't have to wait for anyone.

Wrong. Farming is much faster together and i don't mean farming like run around with some buddy and shoot npc's or do quests , that's ridiculous. But to actually farm stuff individually , that is used by all team members and each member farms something. When there were players whining on forum about how hard is to get some stupid ore , i couldn't figure out what i could get because everything was farmed , stockpiled and ready to start a fucking war.

Quests are done faster with actual people too , not dual logs , but players who actually does the same thing to finish it faster - teamwork.

Base can be bought much faster and comfortable with players around you , as well gaining resources to buy/build that base is faster together , now there's only trust issues if they get over that , no dual logs needed.

About these dual logs , i tested once how much time i need to set up a dual log to get a taxi to transport my character from redding to our main base , then i understud that there's no point of setting up dual log because it's faster to walk by foot if i don't have a car nearby. Same shit with all quests and etc. etc. , it takes time while you prepare all characters( most probably will need to make some new , especially for new players) at one place , unless you do that on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:51:35 pm by T-888 »
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »

Both avv and T-888 are right at some points. Big tasks are done much more effectively when the whole group gets involved. But when you need to farm one specific item, it's better if every player does it by himself. Example: Farming VC patrols alone is faster than farming in a group. Really T-888, just try it. Farm VC patrols for an hour with 3 friends then farm for another one hour each player alone. You'll see that amount of items will be higher than in the first case  :)

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »

Both avv and T-888 are right at some points. Big tasks are done much more effectively when the whole group gets involved. But when you need to farm one specific item, it's better if every player does it by himself. Example: Farming VC patrols alone is faster than farming in a group. Really T-888, just try it. Farm VC patrols for an hour with 3 friends then farm for another one hour each player alone. You'll see that amount of items will be higher than in the first case  :)

And which is more fun?  Playing by yourself or interacting with your buddies in epic encounters blasting the shit out of everything.  (Encounter sizes do scale depending on number in party)
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?

avv

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:42 pm »

Wrong. Farming is much faster together and i don't mean farming like run around with some buddy and shoot npc's or do quests , that's ridiculous. But to actually farm stuff individually , that is used by all team members and each member farms something. When there were players whining on forum about how hard is to get some stupid ore , i couldn't figure out what i could get because everything was farmed , stockpiled and ready to start a fucking war.

That only applies when you're in a gang that shares everything. There are various types of players, friends of gang who got their personal stuff, loners who use the help of contacts or friends.
The point with farming alone vs group is that you can decide how long you do it and nobody's gonna weight you down but yourself. If you got a group of guys who stay around 24/7 and know exactly how to do everything, ofcourse it works. But reality is differend. People got to go afk, they might not have the experience what to do in certain situations, they might not have taxi, looter, farmer chars. If you go farming  with group and then calculate the ammount of gear per one person, it will be smaller than if you did it alone.
So can you give some example what can be farmed with group so that the ammount of gear is actually higher per people vs when farming alone. The situation needs to be such that the group is present in one location at a time. Being in teamspeak and doing stuff individually doesn't count.

Quests are done faster with actual people too , not dual logs , but players who actually does the same thing to finish it faster - teamwork.

Really? I think 3 people doing 3 separate quests with duals is faster than 3 guys doing 1 quest one at a time.

Base can be bought much faster and comfortable with players around you

Not if you have to find these people, it can take up to 15 minutes, even longer.

as well gaining resources to buy/build that base is faster together , now there's only trust issues if they get over that , no dual logs needed.

Only if the base is shared. Otherwise it's 4 bases for 4 people. I'm looking from the point of view of an individual.

About these dual logs , i tested once how much time i need to set up a dual log to get a taxi to transport my character from redding to our main base , then i understud that there's no point of setting up dual log because it's faster to walk by foot if i don't have a car nearby. Same shit with all quests and etc. etc. , it takes time while you prepare all characters( most probably will need to make some new , especially for new players) at one place , unless you do that on a regular basis.

If you did it only once, it prolly took a while. Once you've done it dozens of times it's faster. Personally I don't use taxi chars, slow chars use cars so hard to say specifically.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »

If you ever tested the FO Desert Europe server you would have seen their global chat screen in the pip boy. I could open a chat window and say hello to the entire server. All messages were broadcast everywhere and eveyone could see them without the need to be tuned in to a certain radio channel. I couldnt tell you the technical aspect of such a feature but if they could do it why couldnt the 2238 team? Maybe something like this here could make it easier for people to connect to the game world a bit easier.

Useful,with spam filters an severe bans.
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »

Really? I think 3 people doing 3 separate quests with duals is faster than 3 guys doing 1 quest one at a time.

If the quest requires multiple characters , trust me it's faster with players around who know what they are doing , otherwise each has to set multiple logs and will take much more time overall to organize that individually and complete a certain amount of quests.

Being in teamspeak and doing stuff individually doesn't count.

Oh yes it does count , nothing is more efficient. Group of players want to craft x item , so we divide members to do a specific task , gather necessary items , communicate right when it's done.

Only if the base is shared. Otherwise it's 4 bases for 4 people. I'm looking from the point of view of an individual.

See , this all leads to trust issues. This is a multiplayer game , players supposed to work together how they can , is it through teamspeak/irc or a radio ingame it's irrelevant , if they don't well it's their problem.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:26:02 pm by T-888 »

avv

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 05:02:16 pm »

Oh yes it does count , nothing is more efficient. Group of players want to craft x item , so we divide members to do a specific task , gather necessary items , communicate right when it's done.

But in this case being in same irc channel while guy 1 farms vc and guy 2 mines count as group farming, even though the group isn't even in the same place. They just keep each other informed about how much stuff is being gathered while in reality they are doing the actual gathering process alone in the ground zero.

Group farming which I was talking about is some activity that simply can't be done alone because it's hard or doing it in group increases the ammount of stuff received dramatically. In my opinion such activity doesn't exist. So far all stuff-acquiring methods I've participated in have been much faster to be done alone.

See , this all leads to trust issues. This is a multiplayer game , players supposed to work together how they can , is it through teamspeak/irc or a radio ingame it's irrelevant , if they don't well it's their problem.

It's not even about trust. It's just that having one's own base is simply more comfortable. You get to decide what you bring, where you place it and who comes in.
If players are supposed to work together, I'd say that reaching that state of gameplay has not succeed because everything is so easy to do alone. Some features try to force us to have friends, but they are bypassable with dual/proxy. That's not the right way to encourage people to work together.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 08:25:05 pm »

Current multiplayer quests.. even the (theoreticaly) hardes one, The Glow, is possible to do with one player. Our mate did it alone, with 2-3 alts. He collected what was possible and because of that, rest of other mates did not have reason to go there (alone or together).  So creating another "team quest" based only at more alts requirement without any other obstacle (focusing on own char or death,..) is waste of developers time.

One thing i see is a problem that eliminates interaction is Faction economy self-sufficiency, almost autarky. Once you are in faction with 5-6 or more players (my experience), a faction dont need to trade with others. Of course, you can i.e. sell surplus blueprints, but thats all.

There is not anything like that one faction has long time monopol to one resource (resource, drug, item, BP, ammo), and another faction has access to different one. Every faction has access to everything (soon or later) and faction who has at one moment access to something valuable (i.e. get first BP of CA, like VSB did), has no need to trade or sell their product.

Faction vs. faction economy interaction is one element that is not implemented in Fonline and maybe it could be the easiest way to boost interaction without reworking of other aspects (player vs. player barter,...).
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

avv

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:50 pm »

Current multiplayer quests.. even the (theoreticaly) hardes one, The Glow, is possible to do with one player. Our mate did it alone, with 2-3 alts. He collected what was possible and because of that, rest of other mates did not have reason to go there (alone or together).  So creating another "team quest" based only at more alts requirement without any other obstacle (focusing on own char or death,..) is waste of developers time.

I second this. It was thought perhaps one time that simply putting a demand to have multiple characters to unlock something would increase player interaction and make the game better. It doesn't really.

Faction vs. faction economy interaction is one element that is not implemented in Fonline and maybe it could be the easiest way to boost interaction without reworking of other aspects (player vs. player barter,...).

Trading is lacking for sure, but wouldn't like to see it as demand for everyone. Especially not with current trade system where we search our customers from irc and forum and perform the deals in improvised ways.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:43 pm »

It's not even about trust. It's just that having one's own base is simply more comfortable. You get to decide what you bring, where you place it and who comes in.

It's more comfortable ? It's faster , now that is what's comfortable , i was a loner once too you know.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:59 pm »

My horde of slaves is all the company I need

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:34 pm »

Hello all,
I am noob, but was reeding this past. Do day reily ban peeple on this form for talking opinion?
Yes.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:22 am »

Sadly there will be no good social in this game without large changes.  Because truthfully it doesn't rely on how you act, but on how others act, and the majority of 'others' is a much a lulz seeking power build punks with nothing better to do than blow you away (or steal your shit, or grief you at a vender) rather than talk to you.  I honestly miss meeting good people in towns.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.