"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 03:14:14 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Engrish toggle  (Read 871 times)

Mars Sultan

• Mandingo
Engrish toggle
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:45:04 pm »

As we know, Ctrl-Shift switches your English characters to Cyrillic characters, which benefits absolutely no one and is used for a cheap laugh only.

What if there were another sort of "language switch", that of poorly constructed pidgin-english phrases into proper English sentences? I figure this could work as somehow the inverse of making a character with <5 INT, wherein the goal is to NOT sound like a smelly griefer but a upstanding English-speaking gentleman/lady who's goal is to create enjoyable experiences for him/herself and others on the Fonline: English Server. Yes, believe it or not this server was once referred to as "the English server", ahahahaha! Ahem.

I will take a randomly chosen anonymous quote from this forum as an example.

agree that sux and [NAME REMOVED] the only people who will dont give shit and still happy about it will be only 21 characters cos they dont need exp  low levels will be have hell not game becouse high lvl PK will start to kill low lvls only for this that he lose his exp 21lvl even if he die still dont lose nothing important only his stuff think about it

I'd say this is a good start to begin building the formula as in its present form it's utterly incomprehensible. Like I said, the formula is half-there already for <5 INT characters; just reverse it.

1. Pronouns will use proper subject-verb agreement.
2. Missing verbs will be added. In the case of a clusterfuck of verbs (i.e. "will be have"), they will be replaced by "brb killing myself".
3. Missing articles such as "the" or "a" will be added.
4. Negative modifiers like "dont" are a fucking mess and might be beyond repair - just roll with me here.
5. There's probably not a way to add missing punctuation, but in a dearth of punctuation "McDonalds is delicious and affordable" should be adequate as a replacement for the attempted phrase.

Behold, your new-and-improved message!

I agree that sux and [NAME REMOVED], the only people who will not give a shit and still be happy about it will be only the 21 characters cos they dont need exp. Low levels (brb killing myself) will have hell, not a game becouse high lvl PKs will start to kill low lvls only for the reason that he loses his exp. The 21 lvl, even if he dies, still doesn't lose anything important: only his stuff. Think about it.

Think about it!  ;)
Igor Dolvich, Mars Ulrich, Girth Gamer, HOOPWISE98, Bobby Kotick

ARWH. Scummers.
Re: Engrish toggle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:03:48 pm »

Do you understand how impossible would be to make this?
I give a fuck.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »

A fucking AI, that's what you need for this to work.
A simple filter (like the existing IN filter) only cripples other languages, and forces people to repeat sentences. Which you probably don't care about.

As we know, Ctrl-Shift switches your English characters to Cyrillic characters, which benefits absolutely no one and is used for a cheap laugh only.

No, it's useful if you want to type in Russian, which you realize of course, but decided to pretend you do not. Anyway, I don't see any relevance between being able to type in cyrillic and your idea of language filter, so I don't know why did you bring it up.

it's utterly incomprehensible

Apparently, it's quite comprehensible if you managed to transform it.

You can stop being a snob now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:14:40 pm by Archvile »

Mars Sultan

• Mandingo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:33:17 pm »

I was going to follow this suggestion with a suggestion on building a universal telepathic link between players. Better get started!

As far as I know, unless there's some awesome transliteration involved, trying to type English words in Russian with Ctrl+Shift only compounds confusion between languages, no? Unless you're talking about Russian players speaking to each other in Cyrillic, which is fine and dandy. "English server" and all that.

I guess I'm still living in the idealized Fonline 2238 where more than 15% of the most powerful players actually speak English. And less than 100% of them are hell-bent on griefing the balls out of you. but hey, I don't have any hopes and dreams. I'm a snob - I'm LIVING the dream, baby.

so I don't know did you brought it up.
Yes, I did brought it up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:37:01 pm by Mars Sultan »
Igor Dolvich, Mars Ulrich, Girth Gamer, HOOPWISE98, Bobby Kotick

ARWH. Scummers.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:16 am »

Or people could just learn the language in the first place.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:14:02 am »

I use it to learn Russian  ::)

Parowooz

• Maximum Pain
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 09:22:30 pm »

It's international server not english. Too bad you can only speak in one language.
Developers, developers, developers, developers...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.