"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 11:13:07 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GECK to upgrade your faction base/ EPA dungeon style area  (Read 1615 times)

GECK to upgrade your faction base/ EPA dungeon style area
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »

My idea is to take the EPA from fallout restoration project and fill it with respawning hostile supermutants that increase in strength the deeper you get into the base, the bottom floor will only be reachable by a well organized group of players. On the bottom floor there will be a boss character that has in its possession a GECK. This geck when brought to the faction base and has science skill used on it will change your faction base, adding trees and fruit/fibre plants. For the cave base it would only affect the outer area, making it look like the wooded cave entrance with some random plants scattered about(Possibly a semi dense forest). The gas station would get a similar treatment and the farm could get some other bonus since it already has these benefits, possibly respawning trees that can be cut.

The top level of the EPA will have tough nightkin with laser rifles, once they are killed the players will have to get through the basement floor by floor, the top ones filled with a mix of supermutants and centaurs and the lower having robots, culminating with a boss battle with a sentry bot.

Surf

• это моё.
Re: GECK to upgrade your faction base/ EPA dungeon style area
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »

This would only work, if the location is an instance, for every group/player seperately. I also smell an exp overkill.
And how should the player base look like with a fully GECK? It goes a bit too far imo.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »

I agree that an instance would work the best, something like this would be best done in turnbased so having that as an option would be nice. Maybe a location that has a 100% encounter chance in the confines of 1 marked square? As for xp overkill, with diminishing xp you aren't getting a good return for the risk. All the enemies I mentioned are challenging for even high level characters and don't really give that much more xp than centaurs and floaters. I can make some example maps to illustrate my ideas. As for it "going too far" I think this is content that would be fairly easy to implement and would have a goal all players would want, as well as fleshing out a pretty barren game.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:56:20 pm by Roachor »

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:59:10 pm »

I know that that would be a good goal for players etc, thats not what I meant with "too far"... ;)
See , in FO2 you're looking for a GECK all over california, there were barely 2 pieces of it. And now every player (if well equipped) can have such a thing? Wasteland would look like fucking utopia in a few weeks. ;) That's what I meant with "too far". Replace the GECK with some kind of other "advancement" for the base and everything would be ok. But still, I won't expect this to build in.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:21 pm »

Maybe the epa was a geck manufacturing facility? It's feasible, it has a huge machine in the basement. Maybe robots were programmed to keep the supply coming and since no one is coming to pick them they just pile up. The mutants that moved in topside would also add to the deterrent for scavengers as well as the still active security system. If I make the maps will the devs at least consider it? It's not we are overwhelmed by new content.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:04:49 pm »

The EPA was more a bilological research facility.  :P
The only thing I could imagine scavenging from there would be seeds for trees etc. But GECKS are still too powerful and would fuck the whole story of FO2. ;)
And why are mutants there? What is their goal to take over the epa?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:07:32 pm »

The EPA was more a bilological research facility.  :P
The only thing I could imagine scavenging from there would be seeds for trees etc. But GECKS are still too powerful and would fuck the whole story of FO2. ;)
And why are mutants there? What is their goal to take over the epa?

Ok so you get a bag of seeds and it does the same thing, adds greenery to your base. Maybe the mutants were trying to find a cure for their infertility, you'd need advanced scientific equipment and that would be a good place to find it.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »

Yeah, that would be something I could live with. :)
Now you have the idea, a little concept and it's good. But I tell you - you still won't see this ingame.
Why? You have to transform the EPA from the RP project into the fonline engine, this alone needs alot of work. You need to write the scripts for everything in there. I don't even know if it's possible making an "instance" for everyone. Then you need new map files for the upgraded base. You need of course new scripts there etc etc. :(

See what I mean? It would be awesome if this would ever see the light of day, but I don't expect it because it's too much work for the devs and they won't tell us which recommendations are needed to help them adding new things to the game etc.

EDIT: Please don't think I want to destroy your idea, I find it good! I just wanted to show that it's not that easy to make as we think.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:18:28 pm by Surf Solar »

Lut7ifer

• Den Militzia
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 10:56:09 pm »

then use it as broken geck and u can chose only one supply add in ur base 4 it junk barrel or wathever

Nyan

• Teehee.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 11:38:10 pm »

Make one geck-thing that will somehow make life of its owners better and people will fight for it instead of shitty town controls. Like controlling the flag
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:58:58 pm »

How different are the fonline map files from fallout 2 ones?

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:39 am »

Thats the problem. We don't know it. I asked in a different thread for clarifications, but none of the devs answered.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.