"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 03:39:00 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Gathering? Waiting?  (Read 31159 times)

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
Re: Gathering? Waiting?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »

Scypior aren't you afraid that trading will not have any value now that cooldowns for mining are lowered ?

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »

Scypior aren't you afraid that trading will not have any value now that cooldowns for mining are lowered ?

Well, with cooldowns lowered, the solution would be just to recalculate it now (as stated already, it's not done in those prewipe tweaks).

With other solutions (no-cooldown), of course it would have an impact and we would have to make traders so that they would not have insane amount of caps available just to trade for crap item or easily-obtainable resources.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2011, 07:11:31 pm »

trading will not have any value now that cooldowns for mining are lowered ?
Why so? I know many people hate crafting, digging, gathering, you know, all the "settlers" job. Still, I know few crazy dudes, who can roleplay such settlers and provide mates with stuff - why not let them? This could lead to real economy:
- dude A is pr0 PvP ape, he could mine, craft, etc. himself with crafting alts and proxies, but
- dude B is pr0 settlers, he never leaves his cave without a hammer, so
- dude B wanders around mining, gathering, fighting scorpions, crafting fancy clothes and guns he won't use anyway, so he sells them to
- dude A, who is happy to have awzum itanz nao! so he can pwn n00bz instead of boring rides to mine and back, with proxy alts.
Profit.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

Josh

• The Armegeddon Arms Co. is temporarily on hiatus
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2011, 07:22:04 pm »

Why so? I know many people hate crafting, digging, gathering, you know, all the "settlers" job. Still, I know few crazy dudes, who can roleplay such settlers and provide mates with stuff - why not let them? This could lead to real economy:
- dude A is pr0 PvP ape, he could mine, craft, etc. himself with crafting alts and proxies, but
- dude B is pr0 settlers, he never leaves his cave without a hammer, so
- dude B wanders around mining, gathering, fighting scorpions, crafting fancy clothes and guns he won't use anyway, so he sells them to
- dude A, who is happy to have awzum itanz nao! so he can pwn n00bz instead of boring rides to mine and back, with proxy alts.
Profit.
I wish that was how it played out. In my experience as a crafter, Dude A shows up at either mine or crafting table and kills/steals what he needs. In payment he leaves a snide comment.
When you hear people talking about the great leader of the Armeggedon Arms Co., there talking about me. On the flip side when you hear them laughing about the Plague who stood next to guard and died or something else like that, that would be my brother Ben.

Pozzo

• Tim Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »

In my opinion if people have the choice they will craft instead of trade.
This is a Faction Mod so most of players have to be efficient to be helpful in the team. If mining/crafting is more efficient than trading so people will prefer mining/crafting.

Well, with cooldowns lowered, the solution would be just to recalculate it now (as stated already, it's not done in those prewipe tweaks).

Have you ever think about non craftable tier3 stuff (only obtainable with killing PC/NPC or by trading) ?

With other solutions (no-cooldown), of course it would have an impact and we would have to make traders so that they would not have insane amount of caps available just to trade for crap item or easily-obtainable resources.

Well... this is what a post-apocalyptic world looks like ;) (barter instead of money)

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:15 pm »

In my opinion if people have the choice they will craft instead of trade.
This is a Faction Mod so most of players have to be efficient to be helpful in the team.

Even if it was Loner Mod, they would want to be efficient. And every simple solution to that matter will lead only to alting. Unless there is some brilliant idea, I do not have one yet:)

Have you ever think about non craftable tier3 stuff (only obtainable with killing PC/NPC or by trading) ?

There are some upcoming changes for that + higher tier stuff was always meant to be connected with factions scenarios or other end-game activities, which are not there yet, unfortunately:(
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »

Without any sensible way of trade. Which is not present everyone will just hoard stuff the way which is most time efficient. Weather it is stealer and trader alt ol zillion of miner crafter proxies. But the point is taht every person will have to be able to make all the stuff without player trade.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »

Without any sensible way of trade.
What do you mean with "sensible" ?

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2011, 11:54:59 pm »

I think it was already linked in this thread but still:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=17827.msg147325

We need something like pip-boy in-build trading system so everyone can publish his offers there and browse offers of the others. Just like on the forums except that in-game. Majority of players isn't even interested in forums besides in-game system would be much more comfortable and accessible to everyone.
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:30 am »

What do you mean with "sensible" ?

Some way of offline trading so you dont have to actually meet ingame. Like in all other MMOs with auction or market feature.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:14 am »

Some way of offline trading so you dont have to actually meet ingame. Like in all other MMOs with auction or market feature.

Personally i've always hated those auction/market features. Trying to find a buyer is half of the fun of trading (which is even harder for me with my gmt+12).
However I wouldn't object to an auction/market feature in which you have to speak to an npc and pay a percentage of your sale to them. In doing so, it allows those wishing to get rid of there items efficiently to use the auction/market feature, but also allows those wishing to make the effort in finding a buyer sell their items effectively (by not having to lose a percentage of their sales to the auction/market npc).
Crazy88
Simple rule of the wasteland #237
If Eternauta is in a gang, they are alright people. Otherwise Eternauta wouldn't be in that gang.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:34 am »

Personally i've always hated those auction/market features. Trying to find a buyer is half of the fun of trading (which is even harder for me with my gmt+12).
However I wouldn't object to an auction/market feature in which you have to speak to an npc and pay a percentage of your sale to them. In doing so, it allows those wishing to get rid of there items efficiently to use the auction/market feature, but also allows those wishing to make the effort in finding a buyer sell their items effectively (by not having to lose a percentage of their sales to the auction/market npc).
Well you hate it and you wouldn't mind it, kinda contradiction.

Anyway there's like 5% cut in WoW, would it be 30% or whatever, people would just raise their prices, so that independant market will also raise their prices, beucase market will allow them to.
Obviously posting items would better be done in game, but auction itself is big decision and will change things.

Since this project was never supposed to copy successful ideas, but rather come up with something new, players would better handle transactions and stuff themselfs, but should also have bulletins in towns allowing them to add their own records. Like "selling stims for 100 caps/piece, radio me at 1234, available usualy from 3-6pm".
Postal service or multiplayer storage might improve this as well (eg. you get container with numeric combination, so you might just pass the combination and insert item in there, so you will not need to be online to pass the item.
Ofcourse players then might want to scam people so you will likely take 50% of payment first and pay the rest after delivery or whatever, it's just about players.

On the other hand completly automatic auction would make nearly everyone trade, creating real economy. But would feel a little artificial. Again it's all up to developers :d, and I hope they'll chose the best compromise between originality and functionality.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:37 am »

I think auctions can be a good improvement but it will need some restrictions:
-You talk to a npc and give the items to sell and make the offer, and you need to pay the npc a tax, lets say 10% of the offer. This tax is for make the offer available. So auctions will have a cost and trade with other players will be still encouraged.
-You can cancel your auction at any time and recover the item/s (but not the tax payment).
-Possible limitation to high tier stuff, so this stuff can only be tradable from player to player.
-Max duration time for each auction to prevent overload. Lets say after a rl week the offer gets unavailable and you have a rl month to get your item/s back.

So the dialog with the npc will be like:
for sell:
-select item you want to sell
-select amount of items* (can be predefined to: lets say 1, 10 50 or 100)
-introduce offer
-Player pay 10% of the offer and the auction become available
For buy:
-Select item you want to buy
-select amount of items
-display the auction with the cheapest offer (if there is any) if equal offers are available the older gets priority
*For non stackable items only option will be 1.

Also an option/command to check auctions status via radio will be nice.
"Is it possible for man to conquer his own Karma!? Unless we can find a way to defeat the cycles of time, there is no future for mankind!"
-Desty Nova.
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:50 am »

I do think that RavenWolf is on the right track.
I also think that each city (maybe not every city) should have its own seperate auction sight. We don't want an offline auction option where goods magically teleport across the map from buyer to seller.
Having seperate auction sites in each city may also allow those who enjoy trading to take advantage of mispricing of goods between cities., for example brahmin hides for sale in ncr may be cheaper than in san fran.

However, one issue I do have with an auction site through a npc is that people would crowd the npc, and boom, a suicide bomber (or less dramatic, someone staying by the npc and not allowing anyone else talk to them).

Anyway, back to the initial discussion on gathering/mining, would there be difficulties in implementing a gathering/mining scenario based on the ad hoc features, such as the dogs of la quest.
For example, you speak to an npc in a city, who says he saw a mine nearby, and you are then given the location on your pip-boy of somewhere to collect a specific resource. The location could maybe only be accessed the one time, and to collect more resources, you must speak to the npc again for a new location.
The npc could charge people for the location, or it could be implemented into a quest (for example the npc asks for specific item before releasing the whereabouts of the mine).
The location could have animals or npc's that need to be eradicated before mining?
You could also make it a team scenario, in which a group of players entering as a party have the possibility of finding more resources (but more animals/npcs to kill first).

Also, just as a side note.
Well you hate it and you wouldn't mind it, kinda contradiction.
Wouldn't minding, and wouldn't objecting are quite different statements, thus there was no contradiction in what I said.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:20:07 am by Brick »
Crazy88
Simple rule of the wasteland #237
If Eternauta is in a gang, they are alright people. Otherwise Eternauta wouldn't be in that gang.

Fizzle

• *Inactive* - Working on a Project.
    • Fizzle's  dreamland of  exploding teddies.
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »

However, one issue I do have with an auction site through a npc is that people would crowd the npc, and boom, a suicide bomber (or less dramatic, someone staying by the npc and not allowing anyone else talk to them).

-- Good Observation! - Then how would they fix that problem?
For those about to die I salute you with Honor and Respect.
If your going through Hell keep on going, no shit i dont wanna be luciphers bitch.
*Accused for tent raping when inactive* - Great.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.