"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:22:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Melee/Unarmed vs Ranged DnD-like  (Read 1741 times)

Melee/Unarmed vs Ranged DnD-like
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »

It mostly will suit TB combat, I don't know if it'll work well in RT.

If you are unarmed or have knuckles/power fist or any melee weapon in your main slot and has X% unarmed or melee skill, you'll be able to do Attack of opportunity.
With ~100% (for example) unarmed or melee skill you'll do those attacks in the torso. You can do only 1 attack of opportunity between your turns in TB or 1 AoP per X seconds.
With ~120% randomly between legs and hands. You can do 2 AoP in TB and faster in RT.
With ~140% in the head. 3 AoP, etc.
With ~150% in the eyes. 4 AoP, etc.
AoPs won't consume any action points, they will have animation in TB, don't know what about RT.

Attacks of opportunity done when:
You're facing your opponent in your field of attack (mostly 1 hex, but spears and sledgehammers have 2 hexes) and this opponent:
1. Moves.
2. Attacks with ranged weapon.
AoP done before he moves/attacks.
Facing of your victim doesn't matter, only you need to face him.
This way, if someone will try to run away from you, you'll have a chance to stop him.
If a a guy with minigun will try to burst you or sniper will shoot you in point blank, you'll have a chance to KD/KO him before that if you're facing him.

If gameplay will be changed and players will die a bit.. slower than now, then TB fights would look like fights in Heroes3 where melee characters making ranged characters to not shoot or run away from them.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
Re: Melee/Unarmed vs Ranged DnD-like
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

Basically a counter-attack. I like that idea. However the chance shouldnt be too high, and spears-slegdehammers should be from 1 hex too. This will give meele that small boost that he really needs.
Just one question: those Attacks of Opportunity will be again ranged only, or versus meele attackers too?
It would make sense that it goes also in meele, however that way you should confront the meele weapons/unarmed of your opponent against your, and the result will be your chance of making it.
Quote from: Grommok
Chi si ritira dalla lotta
E' un gran figlio di mignotta!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »

Actually this idea won't work, because game won't recognize enemy from ally. And you'll:
1) Attack random people in guarded towns who just ran near you.
2) Attack your allies who shoot and you were near them.
So this thread can be junked, sorry. ;p

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:27 pm »

If it resulted only when someone actually shoots you from the appropriate distance it could possibly still work, in retaliation, like Grommok said.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:06 pm »

So you want to collect 3 junks and PvP like a boss?
There already ARE some planned perks helping meleƩ.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:34 pm »

No I want to make melee characters play thier role in fight, melee shouldn't kill ranged 1v1, but group of pure ranged vs ranged+some melee should have problems, the only problem that players are dying in seconds and melee characters simply won't run to ranged anyway.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »

However it was a good idea. Maybe by adding an ally system the idea would be added.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:35 pm »

I always charge with my melee character, its in his nature, and, occasionally I win against ranged players in current system.

Grommok

• Desert Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:17 pm »

Its a very rare thing. I wont only one time that way: when the opponent runs out of ammos.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:01:22 am »

First for all, melee coupled with thrown don't require that much skill to be devoted in it. Additionaly melee are going to get some good perks helping them with survival.

I despise idea of melee ever getting chance to succeed in current usage - everyone just get spiked knuckles and start killing. No armor, no ammo, no gun.
Surely the fact you lose equipment on death makes charging with it much less popular, so this is the place where melee needs as much help as possible, and not by making it competetive without risking anything.

If some random melee in BA with megapowerfist charges guy in leather jacket and 10mm pistol, melee deserves the best chances to win. As well as guy with BA and avenger don't deserve to die to some bluesuit with spiked knuckles.
Problem is to make melee wear gear.
"This is your forum."

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:33 am »

First for all, melee coupled with thrown don't require that much skill to be devoted in it. Additionaly melee are going to get some good perks helping them with survival.

I despise idea of melee ever getting chance to succeed in current usage - everyone just get spiked knuckles and start killing. No armor, no ammo, no gun.
Surely the fact you lose equipment on death makes charging with it much less popular, so this is the place where melee needs as much help as possible, and not by making it competetive without risking anything.

If some random melee in BA with megapowerfist charges guy in leather jacket and 10mm pistol, melee deserves the best chances to win. As well as guy with BA and avenger don't deserve to die to some bluesuit with spiked knuckles.
Problem is to make melee wear gear.

I agree that melee should never get overpowered and the risk is why I like to play melee, but what additional war gear do melee fighters need? Super power fist, or ripper isn't already a good enough loss for a killed melee fighter? Melee fighters can already use the same armor as an any one else.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:54:06 am »

WTF? Point is not what they can, point is what they should have. Not sure if you understood that.
"This is your forum."

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:45 am »

woops, I read 'war gear' :P

I wear exactly what I wear with any other kinds of fighting character, it just depends on what I am doing. However since melee chars aren't as likely to win against ranged players you won't catch me taking the same kinds of risks as frequently with my melee character and so I won't be wearing the nice stuff as much. If the scales were balanced more in my melee characters favor then I would risk the good stuff with him more often.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »

I see one serious problem in current system. Imagine situation: You standing amongst allies some of them of course not tagged green because thats fuckingly uncomfortable feature. One of them close to you shots or runs and you strike them of oportunity?

This might be solved by some switch turning oportunity attacs of and on which must be hotkeyed to be usable in the heat of battle.

Otherwise if properly tuned out this mechanism might be quiet fun and can give valid battle role for meele chargers.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:54:45 pm »

It's DnD not Special, simply enough to let it go.
HtH evade/In your face/etc. will give them chance, not something pulled out of completly different ruleset.
"This is your forum."
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.988 seconds with 21 queries.