"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:16:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Starvation and Dehydration  (Read 5078 times)

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
Re: Starvation and Dehydration
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »

Once/twice per in-game day or real-life day?

And yeah, we definetely need moar pain-in-the-arse features, like feeding and pooping. FOnlinegotchi 2238 anyone?

in game day, and as AVV said; it would enhance the post-apocolyptic RP. its a new thing to fight over, scavenge for and trade for. ESPECIALLY trade for as, like you, some people wouldn't want to have to bother gathering food in which case they can buy it off the folks who do gather it.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 10:21:28 pm »

How naive, kind sir. No one would bother buying single crap from some random dudes, if he can make an alt and provide himself necessary items. And this is how Amazing Roleplaying Improvement Idea of Great Food System will end here.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:32 pm »

It will be funny if you put every drug on food sell it and the player gets addicted from jet and other drugs :D

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 01:12:59 am »

How naive, kind sir. No one would bother buying single crap from some random dudes, if he can make an alt and provide himself necessary items. And this is how Amazing Roleplaying Improvement Idea of Great Food System will end here.

getting fruit and making/filling water bags is something any character can do, you don't need to make an alt with high fruit-picking skill.

this would likely be a kind of 'job' for new players trying to make a few caps selling food in bulk to players with more cash who can simply afford not to do it themselves, or to merchants who in turn sell to players with caps who can afford it.

The idea that you need an alt for every little thing I'll never understand. Why even bother crafting everything under the sun when you can craft (or even simpler, farm) 1 thing and with that afford to buy everything else. Alting is the biggest waste I never want to partake in, but if it's your thing then I guess just keep on keeping on.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:17:46 am by jonny rust »

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 05:39:22 am »

An alt at the very least provides a guarantee you wont get trading with some random stranger in town.

Also at least drink twice and eat once per in game day? enjoy doing that every hour.

no food and water? ok let's go trade... you've got one hour to satisfy for the next hour or bulk up goods for more hours of super happy funtime. So you'll buy from shop, what if faction alts just camp and buy em out? so you'll trade with new players or random ones, what if they only have enough for themselves and wont trade? so you'll just get it for yourself, here we go on a different farming trip where you will have to grab enough to not worry about it for at least a couple of hours.

bunch of players in town shouting "buying food and water" or new players banging on about why do i need to collect food and water only to be killed by other players/critters this game sux etc. food and water gathering simulator alright.

i wonder why people would make an alt for food and water? hmmm i wonder.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 05:51:14 am »

An alt at the very least provides a guarantee you wont get trading with some random stranger in town.

Also at least drink twice and eat once per in game day? enjoy doing that every hour.

no food and water? ok let's go trade... you've got one hour to satisfy for the next hour or bulk up goods for more hours of super happy funtime. So you'll buy from shop, what if faction alts just camp and buy em out? so you'll trade with new players or random ones, what if they only have enough for themselves and wont trade? so you'll just get it for yourself, here we go on a different farming trip where you will have to grab enough to not worry about it for at least a couple of hours.

bunch of players in town shouting "buying food and water" or new players banging on about why do i need to collect food and water only to be killed by other players/critters this game sux etc. food and water gathering simulator alright.

i wonder why people would make an alt for food and water? hmmm i wonder.

once an hour you stop off at a bar, order a glass of water and rat burger.
problem solved, bitching cured.
Oh wait, now people will bitch cause they need to stop off at the bar every so often and just make barfly alts to horde all the infinite bar food...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:55:24 am by jonny rust »

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 06:11:47 am »

unlimited food and drink at bar, no need to fight over it, no need to gather it. let us just hope they dont meet an unexpected death.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 10:23:09 am »

jonny rust - you still don't get it, do you? Whole "food system" will hurt loners and newcomers as usual, organized groups could take care of their itanz/food/resources/supplies anyway, no matter what restrictions, cooldowns or limits will be implemented.

You are saying you won't play using alts. Well, I have to add - "yet". For quite long time I was also shouting and raging about playing one char only, but it has no sense. Except your own satisfaction there is absolutely no advantages or pros to do it.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 01:44:24 pm »

what is the advantage of alts, when only way to get food is fill up food meter in closest bar? what is the advantage of gangs? They will organise hummer transports to the nearest city?;]
There is no need to force players to 'craft' food, because there are TOWNS in fonline. And there are normal peasants and NPC farmes and we can imagine that, they're supplying bars in food. So only thing you have to do is go to the bar and simply order a meal. How can you abuse that system?
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

sure it can be bought from NPC's through diolog. No issues with supply, no need for alts.

But i would need a tent next to every damn city to take off all my gear i was hunting with so i can go bluesuit with my 10 caps.
Why would i bring full combat hunting gear into bar where i would get robbed/bursted by waiting players?

People in towns with current mechanics is stupid, unless you intend to shoot everything that moves or trade and bail as quickly as possible then there is no reason to enter towns in gear.
This is just one issue with this food and water mechanic,

Also, it would get old really quick.
DrWorm

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

sure it can be bought from NPC's through diolog. No issues with supply, no need for alts.

But i would need a tent next to every damn city to take off all my gear i was hunting with so i can go bluesuit with my 10 caps.
Why would i bring full combat hunting gear into bar where i would get robbed/bursted by waiting players?

People in towns with current mechanics is stupid, unless you intend to shoot everything that moves or trade and bail as quickly as possible then there is no reason to enter towns in gear.
This is just one issue with this food and water mechanic,

Also, it would get old really quick.

If you have been hunting I imagine that you have a bunch of loot which makes me think you are probably going back to a tent or town anyway to drop it off, right?

As far as entering a town with 10 caps goes, are you talking about unprotected towns? I hang around in protected towns all the time and short of watching for thieves and the occasional burster they aren't really as scary as you make them sound.

You are saying you won't play using alts. Well, I have to add - "yet". For quite long time I was also shouting and raging about playing one char only, but it has no sense. Except your own satisfaction there is absolutely no advantages or pros to do it.

I don't bother with alts because its a waste of my time. There is no pride or ideal attached to it. I play this game for fun, not so I can have another set of chores. Now, I know what your going to say; collecting food/water is another chore.

Well I love fallout because the of it's setting. It IS an RP setting, filled with great ideas and concepts and thats what drives the whole game. Nobody loves fallout because of the turn-based combat, or the fact that in this incarnation you can spend your whole day crafting trillions of things which you can then sell for fake money until the wipe inevitably comes and takes them all away (ahem, time to get out of the house).

I like this idea because I think if it's done properly it will enhance emersion into the setting, and lets face it... We all love the setting.

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »

I totally agree with you Jonny_rust, but i can just see this implementation not working for the whole community.
I think it would make shops and bars more busy, but not more alive, people would walk in, do there bit, bail back to what they where doing with there facton "Sorry guys lame food bar cool down, can we meet at etc- ill be 10 mins"

its a mechanic that would get in the way. I really like the idea of trying to populate towns, playing the entire game in town preview and world map is lame.
Also i was speaking from experience as a thief, when banks where used they where the funnest place to troll (never really for profit) because you knew there would be marks there coming in and out. Also same with a guy in CA, every troll in town will target you (including myself) just because its the biggest grief payoff. Maybe i make it sound more harsh then it is, but i would never suggest to anyone to bring valuables to NCR for example. Also, with OD speeds so slow, new players without cars may not be able to get to there one tent etc.
And what if you live near a unguarded town, each time you eat you gotta do potential suicide runs just go get some mash and peas? Or walk insane amounts with whatever penalty for being hungry (special decrees? ap? all these seem very harsh).

tl;dr Many other mechanics would have to change to allow this idea to co-exist, there must be another way to populate citys and add environment and setting other then punishing the player into submission.
DrWorm

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »

I agree that there is a lot to consider with this suggestion past its face value, but I don't think that means it should be dismissed so easily.

the funny thing about this forum is you suggest something that will make the game easier and everyone screams "NO, Wasteland is harsh!"

then you suggest something to make it harder/more realistic and everyone screams "NO, thats too harsh!"

:)

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »

Jangling i see your point. But you altough miss one thing. When you come to protected town to bar, you should pass main gate, bazar, whatever. This means you met people, who can for example shout their trading offers etc. Im not saying that this idea will bring hundreds of players, but lets say that crowdly towns, even if players are just passing by, is definately nicer view, and could provide some RP behaviours.

But being opposite, because towns are full of thiefs is sensless. Thiefs and bombers, are different problem, and i believe that devs will solve that at some point. However this doesnt mean, that we should stick out of towns. There are still safe places (towns) where u can hang around. and i think that is 'Falliutish', trying to stay with other wastelanders, not to stay away from towns.

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:48 am »

Visiting towns is already pain in the ass. Try getting to NCR's workbench. Run for 5 minutes, stop in the meantime, holster your weapon, run another 5 minutes, open 5 doors that will close automatically for no reason, FINALLY YOU REACHED IT. It would be the same if the food/water weren't items, running to scumm pit in Junktown in hope it's not closed again isn't my kind of thing. If you want more RP feel and struggle for survival, firstly improve trading. It's crippled atm. Why trade with anyone if I can make an alt that will provide me with anything I need?

This will also start yet another shitstorm of newbies crying how they can't obtain a loaf of bread and they keep dying from starvation.

what is the advantage of alts, when only way to get food is fill up food meter in closest bar? what is the advantage of gangs? They will organise hummer transports to the nearest city?;]
There is no need to force players to 'craft' food, because there are TOWNS in fonline. And there are normal peasants and NPC farmes and we can imagine that, they're supplying bars in food. So only thing you have to do is go to the bar and simply order a meal. How can you abuse that system?
So what's the point of this system? Nothing of value will be added to the game. No new activities, no one will make food money, no farming food, no hunting. Just visiting towns for the sake of it?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:57:14 am by Senocular »
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.