"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:26:44 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starvation and Dehydration  (Read 5072 times)

Starvation and Dehydration
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:47 am »

ok i have been playing fallout NV lately and i play on hardcore mode and i thought it would be cool if we need to eat and drink water to survive and since food is sometimes expensive how about we make it so it starts at level 5. tell me what you think and i bet this has been brought up before
Re: Starvation and Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:44:03 am »

has been brought up before and its main negative points is in alts, hoarding, just being a little more tedious and annoying. please use the search button next time, it's that little lonely box up top hanging under the bigger Fonline 2238 logo.

I think general opinion was that it would turn game into post apocalyptic food collection simulator. of course i could be wrong but you have added very little detail to deny this claim.

Fizzle

• *Inactive* - Working on a Project.
    • Fizzle's  dreamland of  exploding teddies.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:14:37 am »

I think general opinion was that it would turn game into post apocalyptic food collection simulator. of course i could be wrong but you have added very little detail to deny this claim.

^^ Have to agree on this. Food collection would be a big waste of time.

-- Good thought though.
For those about to die I salute you with Honor and Respect.
If your going through Hell keep on going, no shit i dont wanna be luciphers bitch.
*Accused for tent raping when inactive* - Great.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:20 pm »

There was a nice thread
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=16450.0
And just like I said there I say it here too it would make things nicer and would give some extra realistic feel.
After all it would be about surviving people with good outdoorsman skills would need less supply and dead weights aka chars who have less outdoorsman should die from dehydration...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:35:58 pm »

shortly: this will make game even more annoying.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:46:30 pm »

I don't agree it would give a real harshness to the game it would show that the world died and each day is a fight for surviving a bag of water would be more valuable in the desert then a combat armor since not having water would mean death.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:52 pm »

Agree with Jotisz - the "Crazy Water Bag Idea" thread went into quite a bit of detail on the subject as well and made some nice suggestions. If anyone ever played Burntime, despite its simplicity, it did a pretty good job of feeling like post-apocalyptic survival through lack of water and food - it's wasteland was genuinely harsh (though the king of "wasteland is genuinely harsh" games has to be Visions of The Aftermath : The Boomtown)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there was mention of using food / water as a payment method for companions - so perhaps once (if) that's implemented, it might become clearer how any sort of food/water survival could be included.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:02:38 pm by Luther Blissett »

avv

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »

Food and water should be the resources to fight over in post apo world, it'd increase the wasteland feel. It could even offer something to struggle over cosntantly, which means more action. However if those resources are implemented as items, then they can be transferred from character to another and hoarded, thus making the whole feature just a pointless grind.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

Oh look, it's THIS thread again.

I've never had food-crafting alt yet. Specialized alts - collect them all!
Nie biegaj za stadem.

avv

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

I've never had food-crafting alt yet. Specialized alts - collect them all!

Unless food&water doesn't exist as items.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

I think food & water in meaning of items, would be pointless, and lead only to Fonline the sims.
But idea of food & water in meaning of fuel, which can be filled up only in bars in cities and bases, sounds nice to me. It brings more people to towns, and that means more RP.
For example: Every 4 hours i have to go to bar and eat meal, for 10caps (if i have nothing theres a brahmin pen, so 1 shit = 10caps=1 meal:P). If im logged out, cooldown isnt counting. If im out of 'fuel' i have -1 AP and only 3/4 available HP. So can still play fonline, but it pushes me to visit nearest city.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:59:31 pm by Chrupek »
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 06:01:58 pm »

I think some dev said somewhere, that sleeping/eating/drinking will give some bonus, but not penalty if you don't do that. May be you'll earn more XP while you're fed, etc. So they're going to implement it someday, may be in few years.

jonny rust

• Caravan Dan
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:40 pm »

it wouldn't need to make the game tedious at all.
lets say you need to drink twice a day and eat once.
would that really be such a huge problem?

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »

Once/twice per in-game day or real-life day?

And yeah, we definetely need moar pain-in-the-arse features, like feeding and pooping. FOnlinegotchi 2238 anyone?
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Food system was planned for fallout 2 it got cut out because they couldn't finish it in time.
I like Chrupek's idea it sounds quite good I would only add that the drawback isn't a one time downside but like -for every 10 minutes there is 1/3 hp drop till player eats or dies...
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.