"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 28, 2024, 10:40:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Over Powered Plays Treat New Players  (Read 6756 times)

How Over Powered Plays Treat New Players
« on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:34 am »

I'm new to the game and community and was hoping to enjoy a game that was at least fair. I was questing and made my way to do the quest 'Bring Little Jesus Mordino's briefcase to Metzger' for the FOURTH time, yes the FOURTH time. Every time I make it to The Den, I was met by a person named Kucharek who killed me with his Power Armor and Mini-gun every single time and just right when he saw me he shot. You can't even quest in the game without being killed by assholes who just want to steal your leather armor that you just got for the fourth time. I don't even see how you gain new members if they have to deal with bullshit like this. I spent hours going all the way from the Hub, to the NCR train station, to New Reno, to Redden, and all the way finally to The Den, only to be killed four times in the same god damn place. He was right there, right there next to the quest giver as well and he just mowed me down. This really disencourages me, and most likely other new players from playing this game. And before you say, 'lol go ragequit and uninstall' I probably will, and good luck gaining new members.

Edit: And if you didn't know, you can't repeat this quest if you lose the briefcase, therefore I have to make a new character to re-do this simple quest.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:07:36 am by Stoned Frog »

Tin

Re: How Over Powered Plays Treat New Players
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:16 am »

I'm new to the game and community and was hoping to enjoy a game that was at least fair. I was questing and made my way to do the quest 'Bring Little Jesus Mordino's briefcase to Metzger' for the FOURTH time, yes the FOURTH time. Every time I make it to The Den, I was met by a person named Kucharek who killed me with his Power Armor and Mini-gun every single time and just right when he saw me he shot. You can't even quest in the game without being killed by assholes who just want to steal your leather armor that you just got for the fourth time. I don't even see how you gain new members if they have to deal with bullshit like this. I spent hours going all the way from the Hub, to the NCR train station, to New Reno, to Redden, and all the way finally to The Den, only to be killed four times in the same god damn place. He was right there, right there next to the quest giver as well and he just mowed me down. This really disencourages me, and most likely other new players from playing this game. And before you say, 'lol go ragequit and uninstall' I probably will, and good luck gaining new members.

Edit: And if you didn't know, you can't repeat this quest if you lose the briefcase, therefore I have to make a new character to re-do this simple quest.

To be honest, your just learning how cruel the game is. The games not really about questing, if thats what you want I really wouldnt bother. And if your just doing the quest for its reward... then it aint even worth it.

It can be pretty frustrating at first, but once you realise its just a game and the stuff your losing is just worthless ingame items, you'll be fine. You can craft guns/ammo yourself just by collecting easy to get items, I'd suggest getting enough to make a few guns/ammo, keep spares at your tent for when you die, and go kill some critters to get your level up.

Keep your chin up and welcome to the wastes :D
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:17 am »

ya dude i make a good living in the game 15K caps a day and i dont die much and i havnt done 1 quest forget about quest scavenge
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:55 am »

if you want me to teach you a good tactic to get caps just ask and ill tell
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:20:14 am »

To be honest, your just learning how cruel the game is. The games not really about questing, if thats what you want I really wouldnt bother. And if your just doing the quest for its reward... then it aint even worth it.

It can be pretty frustrating at first, but once you realise its just a game and the stuff your losing is just worthless ingame items, you'll be fine. You can craft guns/ammo yourself just by collecting easy to get items, I'd suggest getting enough to make a few guns/ammo, keep spares at your tent for when you die, and go kill some critters to get your level up.

Keep your chin up and welcome to the wastes :D

A game is meant to be fun and entertaining, there's no real point in playing a game that you're constantly frustrated in. I mean that guy has been there for at least two hours while I've been remaking my characters.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:27:40 am »

if you want me to teach you a good tactic to get caps just ask and ill tell

I pm'd you, it'd be nice if you could reply? :)

Tin

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:39 am »

A game is meant to be fun and entertaining, there's no real point in playing a game that you're constantly frustrated in. I mean that guy has been there for at least two hours while I've been remaking my characters.

Thats what I mean, it's frustrating at first because its not like other games, constantly losing your stuff, getting killed etc. Once you come to realise that it doesn't really matter, thats when the frustration ends. Remember, anything goes in the wastes :)

Stration

• Get off my lawn.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:34 am »

for the FOURTH time

Not too bright, are we?

If someone kills you at a given unguarded location, it's probably not a very good idea to come back to that location the very same day (unless, of course, you have sufficient means to defeat the guy(s) who killed you at your disposal).

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:56:43 am »

I have to make a new character to re-do this simple quest.
no you dont,just ask someone to take the same quest and give you the briefcase,or make alt just for that...
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 11:03:00 am »

the guy got you 4 times doing the same thing, shame on you for not learning to try something other than doing that one quest there is other content in the game although it is limited. also modify your posts instead of posting multiple times after yourself.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:13:57 am »

the guy got you 4 times doing the same thing, shame on you for not learning to try something other than doing that one quest there is other content in the game although it is limited. also modify your posts instead of posting multiple times after yourself.

I wouldn't expect him to stay in the same place for so long.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 11:19:01 am »

As much as we've all got used to it, realised it doesn't matter etc, you have to think that he does have a valid point - if you've come from playing Fallout 1/2 etc - quests are the important thing in that game - essentially the main bit, the interesting bit. It makes sense that you'd do the same to get yourself started here - so you get killed -  and you try and do the quest again.

When you're starting out, getting xp, caps and a weapon IS important. Getting that first tent can be tough. Once you've got a tent with 20 of your chosen armours, 20 copies of your chosen weapon etc, then yeah - you don't care if you die, because you just pick up a new set of weapons and armour, and off you go again.

In a situation like this with a new player, and a person clearly being an arsehole for "lulz", it seems a little weird to blame the new player, doesn't it?

"People being arseholes is fine - that's playing the game properly. You're doing it wrong by trying to do a quest".

Tin

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:03 am »

As much as we've all got used to it, realised it doesn't matter etc, you have to think that he does have a valid point - if you've come from playing Fallout 1/2 etc - quests are the important thing in that game - essentially the main bit, the interesting bit. It makes sense that you'd do the same to get yourself started here - so you get killed -  and you try and do the quest again.

When you're starting out, getting xp, caps and a weapon IS important. Getting that first tent can be tough. Once you've got a tent with 20 of your chosen armours, 20 copies of your chosen weapon etc, then yeah - you don't care if you die, because you just pick up a new set of weapons and armour, and off you go again.

In a situation like this with a new player, and a person clearly being an arsehole for "lulz", it seems a little weird to blame the new player, doesn't it?

"People being arseholes is fine - that's playing the game properly. You're doing it wrong by trying to do a quest".

I've been here for about 4/5 days or so I think, so I'm in the same boat. Like I said to him though, he needs to realise its just a game and not get frustrated. If he doesnt like it now, he isn't going to like it when the same person kills him again on the 100th quest try :P

Anything goes, which is a good thing not a bad thing imho
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »

So what is stopping him from attempting a different quest? or if he really needs to complete this quest why not postpone it and attempt a different quest in the meantime.

I wouldn't expect him to stay in the same place for so long.

Anyway sure you wouldn't think people would camp a certain area for several hours the first time you play a game but now you know it does happen, particularly in unguarded areas. I just hope this experience doesnt make you jump onto the suggestions board and want some sort of newbie protection from the big bad experienced players who beat down on anyone/anything not in their faction or known to them.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »

Another whining topic have we made, huh?
Please, have mercy.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 16 queries.