"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 07:29:18 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Loading Screens  (Read 11429 times)

Loading Screens
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »

I like the wallpapers that you can look at while the game is loading but you could use some more. Here are some of my suggestions. They're all available in bigger sizes and look much better in fullscreen.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:17:06 pm by Leapchild »

Surf

• это моё.
Re: Loading Screens
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:59:00 pm »

None of these fit to the other already existing screens.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

None of these fit to the other already existing screens.

The existing ones are even more random and don't fit together at all. Plus these ones look better. Just something to look at while the game is loading. After seeing the same crude drawn concept art for the thousandth time the existing ones are more or less just plain annoyance. Which is why I think that you should add more or replace them with some proper ones. If they fit or not doesn't seem to have mattered at all when you added the current ones so why would that matter now? The important thing is that you have something nice to look at while the game is loading.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:15:49 pm by Leapchild »
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »

If you want loading screens be interesting, then all of them should fit the last 2 in 1st post.
But really loading screens should have tips on them about gameplay +FOnline: 2238 lore. Then you don't need to bother about image, because all attention will go on letters, so original loading screens from Fallout is enough, they just need to add text.
Another problem is that loadings are so fast that you wouldn't be able to read what's written there. Only 1st loading screen, when you start FOnline, can last long enough to be able to read something from there. So loading screens when entering locations should be removed. And while location is loading, you'll see previous image of world map/location where you been (just freeze image), and cursor should be changed to loading cursor from original Fallout, because, as for me, loading screens before entering some locations are just blinking and I can't even sometimes see what screen it was, so there's no reason to put some effort creating those images, because players will see them only for 0.01-0.1 seconds. So only when you run FOnline you'll be able to see that loading screen, and it would be good if there will be text about atleast lore, to know what happened and what happening now in FOnline world.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »

Text isn't going to work because just as you said loading times are too fast for you to be able to read everything. Better looking pictures is a nice idea though.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »

None of these are your pictures - I see some Fallout 3 fan art, Paranoia main menu picture, STALKER (atleast it looks like STALKER) ?concept art? and Fallout 3/New Vegas concept art.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Fizzle

• *Inactive* - Working on a Project.
    • Fizzle's  dreamland of  exploding teddies.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:46 pm »

If you zoom in on the railing you can see who made it, well  a website is there. Between the girl and the nuke trigger. oh and on the one with the girl and the computer on the table/desk side is written on there to.
For those about to die I salute you with Honor and Respect.
If your going through Hell keep on going, no shit i dont wanna be luciphers bitch.
*Accused for tent raping when inactive* - Great.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 07:54:37 pm »

None of these are your pictures - I see some Fallout 3 fan art, Paranoia main menu picture, STALKER (atleast it looks like STALKER) ?concept art? and Fallout 3/New Vegas concept art.

Who cares.

Tin

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »

Who cares.

Erm the person that your stealing art from? The FO 2238 team who could be hit with copyright breach?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:17:55 pm »

Some of the pictures are nice and would look good but as some said you should have ask the owner of the art.
Would you be happy if someone used up your work and wouldn't say a word about you who made it?

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:37 pm »

Who cares.

The people you are suggesting things to do care.  ::)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »

Erm the person that your stealing art from? The FO 2238 team who could be hit with copyright breach?

The current pictures they use are copyrighted.

Most of these pictures are done by the same two artists and they don't mind sharing their work as long as their name is mentioned (which is already there btw).

jan0s1k

• If it bleeds we can kill it...
    • Chosen Soldiers
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 03:10:02 am »

You can "implement" it for you own...

\data\art\splash\splash.lst
default file:
Code: [Select]
#
# Max size 1024x1024
#
#
# Original splashes, in Master.dat
#
splash0.rix    # Please stand by
splash1.rix    # In city, with dog
splash2.rix    # The person in BoS helmet
splash3.rix    # The person in a view of car lights
splash4.rix    # Poseidon oil
splash5.rix    # Monitoring
splash6.rix    # Gangster VaultBoy
#
# New splashes
#
loading1.png
loading2.jpg
loading3.jpg
loading4.jpg
loading5.jpg
loading6.png
loading7.png
#
# old
#
# assist.png
# art95.jpg
# heads.png
# vault.jpg
# prisoner.jpg
# deathclaw.rix
# vault_door.jpg
# other0.jpg
So you have to make splash directory, file splash.lst, put this shit inside of it and then just copy these images to this directory. Next you write EVERY name with extension of copied file to splash.lst (you can see how it's already in this file... I don't need to explain how to add new one..). That's all.

And btw, I rather to make Loading Screens from lolpics, than from "yours"...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:16:15 am by jan0s1k »

Tin

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 01:52:08 am »

I've got to admit, the original ones do suck a bit though. I've been messing with backgrounds and following your instructions, but I've done everything to the word and the game is using the defaults still.

My idea is to have loading screens as kind of propaganda posters for all of the factions (player factions included) but also showing a tip to help the newbs (from http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=15811.0 ).

One I quickly put together:

Tin

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 05:45:35 pm »

Here's one I put together for the BoS, not sure if I'm happy with it yet though!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.