"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 06:54:06 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Increase encounter rate for high level critters  (Read 5666 times)

Increase encounter rate for high level critters
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:29:45 am »

The combination of diminishing xp returns and low encounter rate has made it nearly impossible to level through pve combat. The almost entirely rat and scorpion combat stops being useful by level 5 and higher level critters are extremely rare. I know the encounter rates were lowered to stop people from looting guns, so why not just increase the deathclaw encounter rates and maybe have large ones on the surface. This way it would still be possible to level since you still get 500 xp after the xp reduction has reached its max.

bad modification...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:37:55 pm »

The games because of all the changes is unplayable, too many armed men, too many and we are too few to this level, the groups do that to beat them instead of the fight against the npc We want to return to levels before the latest changes in the current mod is unplayable for others, only the big teams enjoy ..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 04:47:27 pm by Yanok »

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Re: Increase encounter rate for high level critters
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:29 pm »

Roachor since the encounter pool was taken out (hopefully for good), I've found mercs that give 300xp and most raiders give at least 40. If you go out with the intention of picking up some guns, you'll level without noticing.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
Re: bad modification...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »

The games because of all the changes is unplayable, too many armed men, too many and we are too few to this level, the groups do that to beat them instead of the fight against the npc We want to return to levels before the latest changes in the current mod is unplayable for others, only the big teams enjoy ..
I don't get it - when there was only a bunch of scorpions to kill, only whining about boring encounters has been heard. Now, when encounters are at least interesting and worth for people to coming out hideouts - there is whining of how hard they are. Sure they hard, what you expect - horde of raiders waiting peacefully for their turn to be killed, like in old kung-fu movies? Play Sims of some sort.

And dude, who's "we"? Yourself and who else?
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

I must say,  im very happy with new encounter system. Its true that game is tough now, but i like it anyway:) Thanks for that update.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:56:32 pm »

I wrote this before the encounter pool and doubling of npcs in encounters, both great changes. I just wish there was more deathclaw encounters as they still seem pretty rare. Fighting 12 rats is better than fighting 6, but its still lame.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 08:12:31 pm »

Fighting 12 rats is better than fighting 6, but its still lame.
I hate 12 rats two times more than 6. :) Cause I'm not gonna waste ammo anyway, so I just wait twice more before taking my turn of running.
But this change on encounter system is really good! I tried it now and some encounters with armed NPCs were really tough, almost killed me. Before the change they were no challenge at all.
Some folks got 'em and some have not
But these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up
Break down!
..guess who
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:00:03 am »

I hate 12 rats two times more than 6. :) Cause I'm not gonna waste ammo anyway, so I just wait twice more before taking my turn of running.
But this change on encounter system is really good! I tried it now and some encounters with armed NPCs were really tough, almost killed me. Before the change they were no challenge at all.

Yeah I've been taking on gangs and caravans around new reno, combat has become fun again.

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02:18 am »

The encounter system seems largely broken, I think it would be better to have encounters happen based on an average of the party travellings levels. It seems to make more sense then throwing some poor blue suit into a fight with 8 raiders and no chance at coming out alive.
plasma nade your face off!

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 10:22:32 am »

The encounter system seems largely broken, I think it would be better to have encounters happen based on an average of the party travellings levels. It seems to make more sense then throwing some poor blue suit into a fight with 8 raiders and no chance at coming out alive.

It's better for poor blusuit to learn where encounters are safer and when they're most dangerous. Not every zone on the map has the same level of difficulty. So please, don't tell it's "largely" broken, be more specific.

Jimmy King

• Pew pew lasers!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:45:54 am »

Gotta say, i love the new encounters, they made the game only better. KUDOS to devs. Since the update i finally dont feel like a PVE unstopable M26 Pershing heavy tank; finally there are guys with guns that endanger me with their range and im nearly unable to run away so i have to fight, finally there are more creeps in encounters - i've been in encounters where are like 15 creeps fighting eachother (oh the phat lewt), finally ive seen muties! Peace devs!
Fighting 12 rats is better than fighting 6, but its still lame.
Actually i think encountering 5 small deathclaws or 1 big deathclaw is safer than 12 rats. I yesterday really nearly got killed by pigrats (oh the shame) - i stopped to shoot em few times, they all ran around me and i couldnt move, had to literarly cut my way out of the rat-circle. God praise first aid and stimpak :).
Fock! Fock! Give my cow back! Fock!

Aricvomit

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:22:31 am »

by largely broken i mean the only people that seem to be enjoying the ridiculous amount of enemies are people who have 200+ hp and CA MKII along with a complement of incredibly expensive guns. for any normal player running into a band of raiders is a death sentence, there is no way to escape battle even if your in turn based. If its a zone problem then it might be a good idea to remove vicious insane encounters from the paths of main cities to other cities, it seems like your forsaking new players and just saying F You to all the other ones that dont run in a giant group or arent lvl 15+

I think the best way for you to see this would be to start a new character and just try to make it from ncr to modoc without dying.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:27:58 am by Aricvomit »
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 01:30:52 am »

I can take out most encounters without any gear, only time im screwed is the Yakuzas since they have high dmg resist and do insane damage considering the drop combat knives.

Aricvomit

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 01:39:26 am »

Ok well I tested out my theory a lil bit today with a characeter that got killed 8 times trying to get from vault city to san fran back to VC. I did take screens of the offending hordes, the worst of it was when i would spawn and be instantly dead, i tried this in both real time and turn based and there is no way around it.
*p.s. the only thing i was doing in these fights was running away as quick as i could to the grid because im a non combat character.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 04:28:28 am »

Ok well I tested out my theory a lil bit today with a characeter that got killed 8 times trying to get from vault city to san fran back to VC. I did take screens of the offending hordes, the worst of it was when i would spawn and be instantly dead, i tried this in both real time and turn based and there is no way around it.
*p.s. the only thing i was doing in these fights was running away as quick as i could to the grid because im a non combat character.

You just aren't very smart. 2k caps gets you 2 hardcore meele mercs in New Reno. Just play real time and watch them sweep the "armed" enemies before them. Or wait for multi-party encounters to kill each other off and you clean up the rest and loot. In other words?,  use your head for something other than a hat rack.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.