"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 09, 2024, 08:50:32 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: New Vegas: shit or not shit?  (Read 42860 times)

New Vegas: shit or not shit?
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:57:27 pm »

Here You will find trailer:

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/02/04/fallout-new-vegas-teaser-trailer-now-online-watch-it-and-win/

IMHO it is shit, looks like Killzone, only robot is quite nice
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:38:44 am by baaelSiljan »
no Wez no fun...
http://rudo-brody.pl/uploads/2011-12-24_0012.png
everyday my english loose 1point :/

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: New Vegas: IMHO shit
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:41 pm »

I knew it would be just as Fallout "shitty" 3 when one of their devs said "It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3". I wouldn't believe it, but it seems Obsidian team is ready to do exactly the same Fallout as Fallout 3.
And what the hell does NCR flag near Las Vegas ?!
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:00:46 pm »

WHY ;( Why would they do such a horrible thing to me... AGAIN!?

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 07:38:46 pm »

Teaser trailer is teaser trailer, nothing of substance, and I think it's the substance we are interested in...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 07:42:46 pm »

I'm still optimistic. It'll be better than Fallout 3, but perhaps no Van Buren.

I'm not going to dismiss it, though. Just because I've had steak, doesn't mean I'm going to turn down a hamburger.

I just watched it. I'm happy they've moved on with the colour scheme. BLUE! REMEMBER BLUE? REMEMBER ORANGE AND RED? I missed those guys.

I think it'll be good. I'm happy the NCR are there - that puts the whole thing in the context of the shady and aggressive expansion NCR was going to embark on in Van Buren. It won't be what VB was going to be, but I find political treachery where there are no good guys a lot more interesting than YOU MUST SAVE WASTELAND WITH LIAM NEESON AND YOUR BEST PALS THE BOS.

I'm expecting a lot more moral ambiguity and people not being what they appear.

The NCR presence isn't exactly like the BOS moving from coast to coast. The length of the Fallout 1/2 worldmap stretches from southern Oregon to Bakersfield, I'm pretty sure that's shorter than the distance from the Boneyard (Los Angeles) to Vegas. Van Buren was all about expanding into Utah. If we can make it from California to Denver, we can make it to Vegas.

I just hope you're not another fucking Vault Dweller. Why can't I just be a scummy Vegas wastelander?

Goddamn it, now I'm excited. I hate you guys.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:57:28 pm by Badger »
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »

You know, I'm talking about trailer, not game, but trailer can tell us much about game. Look at gameplay, scenario, cuts movies, idea and scenery from original series. Fallout was very very original black humor comedy placed in retro 50's postapocalyptical future. And it was based on classic novels, movies and sketches.

Why to hell such things like this (FO3 and perhaps upcoming New Vegas) are called Fallout? First it is not black humor comedy - this argument is good enough to remove Fallout brand from this games, second it has almost nothing from crazy retro 50's - much more it looks like strict copying characters and design from old productions, but not idea - FO 1/2 was using idea, not so much copying content (they do their own design). Third thing is that people who create FO3 and as I see New Vegas dont feel and dont know what it means "postindustrial wastelands", whole scenery looks like bit thrashcan after explosion. Look at scenery in FO 1/2, it is full of junk covered by dust, sand and mud, cities looks like found empty by some wanderers and adopted to life. In FO3 it looks like people want to live in thrash and dont care about anything else.

It is same comparision like Monthy Python to new stupid teen comedies - both are stupid and without sense sometimes, but it is another level of humor. They do game with Fallout brand, but they dont understand what Fallout is.

Does combat armor look like this?

My point is, they have too much marketing, but not enough ideas and heart in this productions. I can bet FO4 will look like Army of two + Modern Warfare + (4 skills + 6 perks (1kk levels for each))

*two last options are only to use shortcut RPG in game title

PS. i enjoyed playing FO3 and perhaps will enjoy New Vegas, but there was trick to do that - I removed string "Fallout" from logos and cover.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:44:19 pm by baaelSiljan »
no Wez no fun...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »

I see New Vegas dont feel and dont know what it means "postindustrial wastelands", whole scenery looks like bit thrashcan after explosion. Look at scenery in FO 1/2, it is full of junk covered by dust, sand and mud, cities looks like found empty by some wanderers and adopted to life. In FO3 it looks like people want to live in thrash and dont care about anything else.

Does combat armor look like this?

Well said there.

Personally, I think the trailer doesnt reveal jackshit about the game, but judging from the screenshots in the webpage. It looks exactly like FO3, as if this was an expansion pack to Bethesda's shit.
And 1st person view is simply, meh... I wont even bother testing this game when its out.
<[VSB]Lordus> I admire polish bravery during the start of WWII when they attacked the tanks divisions with horse cavalry..

<%Mr_Perriack> Events seem to be like throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping for art.  It's a Picasso sometimes.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:59 pm »

I trust in Sawyer. The story - really - CANT be bad.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:15:44 am »

Holy shit that does look like killzone. The whole vegas concept is pretty ridiculous too, las vegas was built in a desert, without pumping stations it would be gone in about a decade. As much as fallout 3 pissed me off with its shitty writing and insane amounts of bugs its still better than most console games and I really hope obsidian mountain will do a better job. It'll never be what we want because we came from a generation of pc games where developers weren't afraid of complexity, companies these days just want a product that will appeal to the lowest common denominator. The combat system was really shit in fallout 3 and they screwed it up even worse trying to fix it in the expansions. Shirtless hill billy can take more damage than a guy in power armour and does 4 times more damage than you do with the same gun? Yeah that makes sense.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:18:20 am »

I don't like it.

Original Fallout style is best.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:18:57 pm »

PS. i enjoyed playing FO3 and perhaps will enjoy New Vegas, but there was trick to do that - I removed string "Fallout" from logos and cover.

Ditto. I liked Capital Wasteland too, a nice FPS spinoff.

Also, i'm relieved that they left Colorado alone. There's still hope for VanBuren.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:55 pm »

Yeah, the vanilla combat bugged the shit out of me. Taking down the Enclave with your hunting rifle was just plain silly.

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 11:49:47 pm »

wow, lemme put on my fire suit for the impending flame. anyways, i think the trailer looked great.
 i think the problem with people saying its not fallout its not fallout is realizing that theres an entire world of untapped and "DIFFERENT" potential, not everything in the world is going to be the same.
you gotta figure Fallout 1 an 2 both took place on the west coast so your going to have to realize some things may just be specific to that area. its like looking at the difference in architecture throughout the untied states. i lived in new orleans and illinois and its drastically different.
 what about the rest of the world? thats the thing, the world as a whole is only really touched upon breifly in the fallout games, the most we hear about the world in this situation is stuff about canada and china. i mean if you figure theres an entire world out there whats to say some places wont be different.
I guess people are just gonna have to wait and see but the hope is there, they are bringin it back to the west and in turn fixing alot of the issues people had with 3 about stuff like jet and crap that shouldnt really matter to anyone.
remember this simple fact, the only reason fallout has endured and grew to where it is now is because of interplays initial screw ups and not bringing out van buren.
what if, mind you just what if van buren sucked ass. if van buren had come out and bombed most people would have forsaken the fallout franchise and written off future games,
stagnation is the worst thing that can happen to a game, look at tomb raider, critically acclaimed for a few games and then pure crap for the rest.. thing is the game formula didnt change, we consumers did and we got tired of the same old thing. so FTW lets see some new ideas and content breathe life into an old franchise.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:53:46 pm by Aricvomit »
plasma nade your face off!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:49:36 am »

I'm not talking that it will be bad game, I'talking that main point of Fallout is it idea, humor and atmosphere. Something what was lost in FO3 - not beacause of it first person, graphic or place, but because story, freedom and humor. Yes, this trailer isn't bad (if You really can say anything about this short movie) but where to hell is Fallout here? In Poland we speak "jedna jaskółka wiosny nie czyni" - "one swallow doesn't make a spring" - and only one in this trailer what has something connected to Fallout is NCR flag.

First time I played Fallout was some demo from games magazine, I didn't like this game, later I've seen when my friend was playing, so I bought it to try... after 2 months of vacation (every day of playing FO) and some time when I've heard about FO2 I was first in shop to buy it. And this was magic - i totally fall in love with this game, I then was about 17 year old. I waited for Fallout 3 for a long time, and when I saw Van Buren I tought it was some kind of joke. I really think that Van Burean is not even close to Fallout, but I hoped Troika will make good successor, and what I have seen in their tech demo was what I was waiting for. But way Bethesda choose (and dont tell me that Obsidian do something else, cause I'm sure Bethesda PR people and directors will influence in every single detail of this game and make it as much similar to FO3 as they can) is in my opion way of creating totally different game, only branded Fallout because of its value. Really it is not even close to RPG, and it is cutted to minimum because of "we consumers did and we got tired of the same old thing" and "we consumers really dont like to think, make arrows how we have to play" and "ooo here is too much text must i read it all" and "omg u n00b stfu i kill u" and "omg this needs more keys than game pad have!" and "omfg this is too hard" and "lets make some game who is famous and earn some $, than lets make some expansions from stuff we already have and earn some $, if we buy some well known brand with big enough world we dont have to think about it, it will sell itself, everybody will buy it because of name", and what is most painfull for me personally "what to hell is monthy python, and why do I have to read
any books (A Canticle for Leibowitz for example) to understand what is Cafe of the Broken Dreams or Maltese Falcon?"

You know, greatest thing in whole Fallout is for me that it takes a lot of good things from good and classic masterpieces, this make it very unique. also it is way old games was made, before marketing guys get it in their dirty hands and low profile thinking.

oh shit, i have a flameboy mood today :) no offence

BTW. i have same feeling about FO3 when there was a news that Bethesda will made it.. and i wasn't wrong.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:03:45 am by baaelSiljan »
no Wez no fun...
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 02:27:49 am »

Although to be honest I think we remember fallout through rose tinted goggles. There wasn't really that much dialogue, the combat system is half done and pretty simplistic and shit is pretty ugly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.