Author Topic: Armors and clothing  (Read 242749 times)

Offline Luther Blissett

Re: Armors and clothing
« Reply #645 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »
You'll probably need to move those sleeves to the edge of either "short sleeve" or "full sleeve" for it to work correctly with the base model (that's yellow or black bit)

You can download the subset map thing here :

Base Human Male Subset / texture map

1024x1024 layered PSD file, with outline, colour markers and base texture (~4.5MB)
subset map male.psd

If they absolutely need sleeves at a length in between these, it'd need to be a model rather than a base texture (i.e. make the shirt sleeves part of the jacket model).

Other than that, good work and yes - carry on with some of the others :)

[edit] Did either yourself or Lizard get anywhere with those helmet textures?

« Reply #646 on: June 07, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »
Thanks for the praise and help, Mr. Blissett. Well, i promised Lizard to help him with that textures, it's just that i'm pretty bad with texturing myself. The best i could do with texturing is to draw kneeholes.

But i'll make two of helmets tomorrow, when i'm back from work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:29:43 pm by Horatio »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #647 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:16 am »

Remember that however detailed the textures are, they're going to be about this big (well, slightly bigger, but you get the idea) in game, so don't worry yourself too much with thinking you're "pretty bad at texturing" or anything like that. To me, they look fine and look like the guys they're meant to. Note that the fine pattern on the shirt will mostly disappear at in-game size, and the moustache is very difficult to see. I had the same problem with some of the beard/tache/hair stuff I tested recently. Not sure if we should make them stupidly big to make them visible, or just leave them as subtle additions to the models.

If you want to add a little painted on highlight/shadow, then the dodge/burn tools in Photoshop/Gimp are good for this in small places - though don't overdo it like I did with a lot of my earlier textures, as we've got a reasonably good working lighting and specular setup in game now.

When we test them in game, we normally find the "photoshop colour" and the in-game colour are pretty off from each other, so if we're going for matching sprites as close as possible, it'll probably need tweaking in future - so make sure you keep your base / original files.

« Reply #648 on: June 08, 2012, 01:46:22 pm »
Davin, fixed.

edit: Actually, i postpone helmets until i figure out how to make that UV from projection.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:10:13 pm by Horatio »

Re: Scientist suit
« Reply #649 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:37 pm »
Here i come with scientist and have some issues:

download

1. The Scientist has his own bodytype - it means, we have here a scientist with much workout. Should a new bodytype be done?
2. I have no idea if FOnline supports alpha - did receding hairline as PNG on a head piece anyway.
3. The suit may be very tight and shirt may pop through when deforming - have not much experience with rigging except biker to test it.
4. The general stature and pants colour may not match - so i give you the textures as PSD as well to experiment with or tell me what to do.

I think i got a good Dr.Kleiner, but if it's a good Dr. Troy, it's up to your PoV. I need critics, so come at me with it.

@LutherBlissett: i painted some minor detail on texture. About beards, etc - i think it should remain subtle. Also, how do the subsets handle hairstyles as hats? And do we need a female scientist?

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #650 on: June 10, 2012, 12:19:17 am »
Many big replies to many small questions :P

-1. What's the problem you're having with the UV mapping? Would it help if someone else UV mapped the helmets and sent you the files after?
0. Good work (I haven't downloaded and tested yet, but looks fine so far)
1. It's the same for "davin type peasant" and "shi" models as well. We do have body models for these, but none of them are rigged at the moment. We do want all clothing types for all bodytypes though - so build them against one model, then they'll be resized for others later (so peasant body type could be wearing leather armour just as easily as hero body type could be wearing a doctor's coat. As only the hero type is implemented and animated, it makes sense to make them fit this first.
2. It technically does on models, but they don't respond well with shadow and outlines. For the textures, we don't know how to do this yet, but it'd be great if we could (I can think of many uses of being able to overlay partial textures in future). Make the receding hair as a separate hair model. You can probably just "extract" a few of the faces from the head, then extrude them down into a more solid shape. Should kind of work. Alternately, I did some test hair models recently - I could send you these, and you can just edit/alter/delete the bits until it leaves the correct hair line.
3. It does this on quite a few of the existing models. They probably all need tweaking slightly. Don't worry too much about this for now, we can make adjustments later.
4. Excellent
5. I'll have a closer look at the model soonish and see if I can give you some more detailed feedback.

Probably find a nice compromise for beards etc - making them slightly bigger, so they at least show up as a few pixels in game, but not stupidly big :)

There's a "disablelayer" and "disablesubset" thing we can put on a model in the fo3d, so we can say "hair disappears when wearing this hat" or "subset disappears when wearing this coat" etc. Probably something I should write up in more detail at some point.

One of the problems is that you'll get this "hat baldness" you may have seen in other games. Mohawk hair sticks upwards, so needs removing when wearing a hat, unfortunately if you set the hat to "disablelayer 7", it would remove the hair regardless of style - so a long haired character would also be "magically bald". The only thing I can think to solve this initially is to break hair into multiple subsets somehow, so you'd have multiple areas of hair which could be separately disabled i.e. power armour helmet removes all subsets of hair, baseball cap only removes "sticks upwards" subset, allowing "downwards" hair to remain etc. I think it's possible, but don't know how yet.

Yes to female versions for all. If there's not an existing model, you've got a bit of creative freedom regarding the exact shape etc.

Re: female scientist
« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
Hmm, let's first introduce the doctor lady.

download

@Luther: to -1: yes, i would appreciate, if someone else created the texture for helmets. I just can't get this unique leather look to them.
0: Thank you! :) Praise is always nice!
1. I was thinking if there is a more efficient way to resize clothes, like deforming them with armatures, before applying them on a bodytype. As far the other clothes, i'd like to continue on T-Ray.
2. That's sad. I think i'll try other tricks, like background colour or simple geometry. The head piece of that scientist could be painted grey, i think it would be unnoticable. As for extracting pieces of bodies... It worked well for clothing, but not on the arms, where the muscles are rather curvy, so i extracted the loops for arms by myself.
3. Okay, i think i'll concentrate on quantity now and will apply some final quality before someone updates the armor tracker.
4. Will do that further and thanks.

For the beards: will do. Also, for the surgeon suit: is there only dirt on it or is it blood? Should i make it look like some "evil genious" suit?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:30:51 am by Horatio »

« Reply #652 on: June 11, 2012, 09:54:55 am »
These are looking real good Horatio.

Re: surgeon suit
« Reply #653 on: June 11, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »
Thanks, Jotisz!  :)
I thought, i'd answer your praise with some content. This really motivates me.

download

« Reply #654 on: June 13, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »
Excellent work, Horatio! Keep on going, you're contributing a great work here! :)
You will get your truck mod!
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Xisingr Will

• Healing, Healing, and more Healing
    • http://fonline2238.net/forum/
« Reply #655 on: June 13, 2012, 10:58:11 pm »
All of these models are very good.....Cant wait until all of them are done :P
I am a Medic NonCombat Carebear APK Gorgon, get over it.

Re: T-Ray
« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »
I'm still on it... Thanks for the praise, i'll do my best! (looking for the truck modification, btw.))

download

T-Ray is done.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:03:43 pm by Horatio »

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:54 pm »
Um the colors should be a tiny bit darker

Re: darkened T-Ray
« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
Thank you for the constrictive critics, Mike!

updated .PSD
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 06:37:46 pm by Horatio »

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2012, 08:17:43 pm »
The

This guy too should be a little bit darker.