Author Topic: Armors and clothing  (Read 242784 times)

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Armors and clothing
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »
But then why bothering with 3D if we wont add any diversity? Just to make everything in 3d so it looks the same anyway?
They won't look the same if you change the texture or color. But adding numerous new differently-shaped armors for every NPC will eventually result in us playing a Fallout-like, looking more like Tactics, not an online Fallout. I like 3D and what it makes possible, but I think the sprites inherited from Fallout should be rendered in 3D as they were in 2D. I wanted to highlight that by changing deeply (more than just the color) for example the BoS scribes' robes, then you also cut the link they had with Fallout - and one day n the future, maybe we'd look around and realize that only the sceneries remind you of Fallout, and we are playing characters and talking to characters that we never met, even in a little different version, in none of the first Fallout games.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:35:38 pm by Izual »
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2011, 02:42:08 pm »
Yes, thats why its very important to make good models (resambling the ones from the game) and be careful about adding new.

But what you were writing about isnt a reason to stay ONLY with what we already have. I mean - they didnt make that ammount of chars cause that was all what should be in game, more cause they didn't have time, were to lazy etc. I wouldnt really see adding new chars and models as cutting the link. Also - if that was true, devs shouldnt actually add ANYTHING new to fonline, like train station, NCR Military Base etc. They also shouldn't add a hatchet, since it wasnt there in original Fallout.

All Im saying is that we need a little changes and diversity, the important thing is to be 100% sure that our ideas fit to the G'Old Fallout setting and not just stay with what we have. At least i think so.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2011, 02:50:25 pm »
I don't think male / female robes aren't a that big problem. First I thought like Izual, but after seeing the actual robes for females, it doesn't look that bad and unfallouty. At least you can see now if it's a male or a female in front of you. :>

« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »
Yes, thats why its very important to make good models (resambling the ones from the game) and be careful about adding new.

But what you were writing about isnt a reason to stay ONLY with what we already have. I mean - they didnt make that ammount of chars cause that was all what should be in game, more cause they didn't have time, were to lazy etc. I wouldnt really see adding new chars and models as cutting the link. Also - if that was true, devs shouldnt actually add ANYTHING new to fonline, like train station, NCR Military Base etc. They also shouldn't add a hatchet, since it wasnt there in original Fallout.

All Im saying is that we need a little changes and diversity, the important thing is to be 100% sure that our ideas fit to the G'Old Fallout setting and not just stay with what we have. At least i think so.

We can preserve "old fallout feel" and add new things to some degree, so I see no problem. If someone is a damn purist who wants only Fallout1&2 stuff - well, no point here as I can just play original games. I want to play it online? There are other FOnline projects with normal sprites.
Sandbox mmo's have one thing in common - they totally need customization and many different things and options. In "Typical" mmo's you have content patches once every few months to make sure people will not get bored. It applies to sandboxes as well. Some people must realize that customization and new options enables/are great addition to other kinds of gameplay(eg. role playing. And I mean serious role playing.)
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2011, 02:57:40 pm »
Thank you, Cheetah, that was a part of my point, I just got a bit retarded when it comes to writing in english.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2011, 03:00:54 pm »
Karpov's model are great and lots of falloutish. I love it and it must be implement in 2238 server and SDK.

If someone prefer old 2D - he should select other server etc.

« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2011, 03:02:03 pm »
Karpov's model are great and lots of falloutish. I love it and it must be implement in 2238 server and SDK.

If someone prefer old 2D - he should select other server etc.

Please, stop writing about SDK in every post.

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2011, 03:03:34 pm »
To Tommy: I'm not saying there shouldn't be new things added. I said in my previous post that the problem was in modifying the current sprites. I personally don't want our robed scribes to be replaced by new ones with visible head or very different model, for example. I however have no problem in adding new locations, new features, new NPC/graphics, etc., as long as these new things do not change drastically the parts of the game that still remind us about Fallout.
Also for the robes I liked that you could be talking to women or men and had to actually talk to the NPC to see his gender. Robes added mystery to these discrete men and women and their large robes :>

To sum up all my posts: add any new content to the game, but don't change that much the sprites inherited from Fallout 1 & 2 :P (Make them 3D, change them a bit but don't change silhouette of the known NPCs - I'll gladly welcome any other 3D change or addition!).
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:41 pm »
I see. So i guess we disagree in one thing only. I believe that female robes were actually supposed to be made in original Fallout. Also, if theres gonna be a version of brotherhood robes, which would fit the setting, I think it would be good to add them. In my opinion it doesnt ruin the Fallout climate at all.

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:46 pm »
I also like looking behind the scenes. The process of rendering of the NPCs , turn them to sprites and divide the animations must have been very difficult and slow. Also the size of all  these sprites toghether was already too big, if they had added more NPCs , then they could not have put the game in one CD. So perhaps, many of NPC concepts were discarded, like the shady sands costume, or the tire armor, and who knows, maybe the scribes were meant to have another shape.  I think that now, we have the opportunity to do all the things that the original developers wanted to do in Fallout, but could not achive for any reason. Of course, we can't know exactly what were these things, or if they discarded for some other reason.

About the known NPCs. Well, It's true that you empathise with the characters, of any game, and specially this one, of course, because we all love it. But, if you think about the new NPCs in Fallout 2, you realize it is just a matter of getting used to it. First time play FO2 and you see those ( Mobsters, Vic, San Fransisco people), you think "what? they are ugly!", but after years and years of playing it over and over again they start to blend and you end up not noticing them at all.

That's what I think.
And I can't make the girl turn into a man when she wears the robes, so don't ask me to do that.  ;)

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2011, 07:10:09 pm »
(I'm replying but only to correct one thing :P I think it's all settled, as I had the opportunity to explain my point of view etc. ; but this is quite on-topic as this is the "armors" thread.)

About the known NPCs. Well, It's true that you empathise with the characters, of any game, and specially this one, of course, because we all love it. But, if you think about the new NPCs in Fallout 2, you realize it is just a matter of getting used to it. First time play FO2 and you see those ( Mobsters, Vic, San Fransisco people), you think "what? they are ugly!", but after years and years of playing it over and over again they start to blend and you end up not noticing them at all.

Hehe, I quite agreed with everything you said, except this: as I keep repeating, I'd love to see new armors, new models, new versions of existing armors or even totally new stuff like this tire armor. However, I think a huge part of FOnline's awesomeness is in the fact that you recognize some known places, you walk inside Sierra and say: "I've been there!", you walk into Lost Hills bunker and you are amazed by being able to go here, in a multiplayer game, and see NPCs as if you just had left them 10 minutes ago in Fallout 2. I'm not saying nothing should change, but removing current look of NPCs to add a new one would be, in my humble opinion, removing at the same time a little part of FOnline's charm. Doing this only because "otherwise they are clones" is not good, I think. On the other hand, if new models are amazing too it's only a matter of getting used to it.

tl;dr: go make another friggin' tremendous model instead of reading my useless paragraph :P
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer

Offline runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »
It just look ugly if only player got 3D model and NPCs got old ones.
And i understand very well that it take too much time to change NPCs/Critters 3D, but.. it would look much better than 2D/3D mix.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2011, 07:37:20 pm »
Please, stop writing about SDK in every post.
I'm really bored play 2D sprites players for ~11 years so I want 3D players. Why you don't like it? huh?

Offline runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
Why you don't like it? huh?
He is just old Fallout fan like i do, but i want to see some changes.

Offline Gray

« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »
I think a huge part of FOnline's awesomeness is in the fact that you recognize some known places, you walk inside Sierra and say: "I've been there!", you walk into Lost Hills bunker and you are amazed by being able to go here, in a multiplayer game, and see NPCs as if you just had left them 10 minutes ago in Fallout 2. I'm not saying nothing should change, but removing current look of NPCs to add a new one would be, in my humble opinion, removing at the same time a little part of FOnline's charm.
AFAIK, true-Fallout multiplayer mode is TLA. 2238 is positioned as a Fallout-style MMO. It's only a server admin's choice: to use or not to use 3D critters. As for me, I like to play with some zoom-in (160-200%) and I'm bored to see that pixelized figures.