"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:27:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

Should we have more skills/items/perks allowing to raise armor class and resistance?

No, it's fine as it is
- 2 (16.7%)
Yes, a bit
- 3 (25%)
Yes, a lot
- 6 (50%)
Don't really care
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More defensive options?  (Read 1350 times)

More defensive options?
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

As the title said, I was wondering why we don't have more possibilities to raise our characters armor class and resistances. As it goes about everyone have a 95% chance to hit in about every situation.

Obviously that'd be an important change to pvp balance, this need to be discussed as well. Please note this is a purely personnal point of view, gladly open to discussion, and in no way i pretend having greater or better knowledge of how to make a "better" pvp.

Basically, I think that, as a guideline, a maxxed up character for accuracy, with the best combination of skills,stats,traits,perks,gear,drugs and in the best conditions, should not have more than 66% chance to hit a maxxed up character for defense with the best combination of skills,stats,traits,perks,gear,drugs and in the best conditions( IF, raising accuracy and defense were to cost the same to max up).

What we could do to give possibilities to raise defense:

-raise armor class with the skill unarmed, as this suppose a better and more agile use of movement and body(even with an active weapon!)
-raise armor class with the skill stealth, as this suppose a better use of movement and available cover
-add a new class of items: shields. of two kind, the junk shield (think a bin lid, roadsign....) and the riot shield. when in active hand, it raises AC and resistances. could work with the skill unarmed or melee.
-add/enable perks that raise defense

open to discussion!

edit:added the part about the 95% chance to hit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:05:56 pm by yougart »

Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
Re: More defensive options?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »

Dude but its possible to raise AC and dmg resist gosh...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »

The problem is mainly that virtually everyone get 95% chance to hit anyway because of the much much bigger amplitude of accuracy buffing.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »

More IRL luck in game is not a good idea.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

avv

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »

skills,stats,traits,perks,gear,drugs and in the best conditions

All of these are passive features and non-related what you do in the actual pvp scenario. The game desperately lacks skill-related actions that players can perform to outmatch each other.

Having possibilities to enhance one's defense would really provide additional strategy but if it's only done with additional perks and equipment, the nature of pvp won't change much. It's too reliable on your build and equipment leaving actual skill little room.
A skill dependent defense-boosting action would be Take Cover button. You go next to an object and press the button, you lose some aps but receive a bonus depending on the nature of your cover and the direction where enemy is shooting towards you. For example a window in a brickhouse would provide very good bonus when someone tried to shoot you through it.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 08:13:27 pm »

A skill dependent defense-boosting action would be Take Cover button. You go next to an object and press the button, you lose some aps but receive a bonus depending on the nature of your cover and the direction where enemy is shooting towards you. For example a window in a brickhouse would provide very good bonus when someone tried to shoot you through it.

This is actually a good idea, already suggested I think and too hard to be implemanted. But it would be cool.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »

I suggested it a Looooooooooooooooooooooooonnngggg time ago but it was too hard to implement sadly so moving on...

I really think the shield thing could work, as long as the weapon you have isn't two handed having the shield in the 2nd inactive hand will give  +2/10 damage resist or more?
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 08:26:54 pm »

Agree with avv, it'd be generally better to have options allowing to use tactical skills during combat, but it looks more complicated to implement.

Adding more build/gear defensive possibilities is just strategical but better than nothing, no?

avv

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:36:06 pm »

I suggested it a Looooooooooooooooooooooooonnngggg time ago but it was too hard to implement sadly so moving on...

Did a little searching and only place where hard to implement was noted was when cover was mixed with additional stances like crouching.
I wonder if it's that hard for the game to check the surroundings of our chars.

Another way would be that running horizontally past the shooter would reduce his chance to hit but mostly at longer ranges. Running straight forward wouldn't change the odds.

However this would require running have some tradeoff, like the one I suggested this page or having stamina bar like Sarakin mentioned in the same thread.

I really think the shield thing could work, as long as the weapon you have isn't two handed having the shield in the 2nd inactive hand will give  +2/10 damage resist or more?

Shield is just an item, a passive feature. Here's also some crap about irl: the actual tactical shields can only withstand low powered firearms, rifle rounds go straight through. There are heavier versions but they are on wheels.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

If they've been able to make power armor they surely could have improved the riot shield we know.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.