"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 02, 2024, 10:54:43 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The fuck with lockpick  (Read 5515 times)

Re: The fuck with lockpick
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58:48 am »

I don't know if the engine supports this, but I doubt it.  :-\
Otherwise all this stuff needs to manually restored by some GMs...

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but I don't know if a simple script could handle this.

Why not make random encounters out of them? That could work.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:38 am »

Well. It should be obvious, that this is a bug. If not, then I can't help.

What I wonder the most: If everyone knows that stealing, lockpicking and sneaking sucks... why everyone is still doing and afterwards raging about it?

Well after some updates (old updates, even before wipe) reputation loss from stealing was changed completely, from -100 constant to dramatic like this, just change it back.

Why everyone is doing that? People want to rollplay. Why ragging? because of current system they cant rollplay.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 12:27:00 pm »

Oh please... don't come with roleplay. Nobody is really playing a role. And stuff like lockpicking, etc. is just an alternative in gaining a few things:

a) Getting loot
b) Stuff to do for players
c) Fun for players

See, I don't write that it increases roleplaying, as it doesn't.

We can't simply revert the reputation loss from stealing, as it's a big construct and not only "stealing == -1000 rep". The bug needs to be fixed and not workarounded.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 01:06:29 pm »

Oh please... don't come with roleplay. Nobody is really playing a role. And stuff like lockpicking, etc. is just an alternative in gaining a few things:

a) Getting loot
b) Stuff to do for players
c) Fun for players

See, I don't write that it increases roleplaying, as it doesn't.

We can't simply revert the reputation loss from stealing, as it's a big construct and not only "stealing == -1000 rep". The bug needs to be fixed and not workarounded.

Common its not fallout 2, you wont see a thief with big guns tagged, or a lockpicker sniper. If people play as thieves they tag lockpick steal and probably sneak, what other role than thief you can play with these skills? And as i said now you cant even play as thief, cause you steal 1 bullet and then you can say goodbye to this town since your reputation is fucked.
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »

cause you steal 1 bullet and then you can say goodbye to this town since your reputation is fucked.
Give back my .44 magnum FMJ bullet! Oh, wait, I spent more on you when you was running away ;p

Little suggestion: What about making stolen items, like in TES: Oblivion, - "hot". So no any NPC will buy it, except for thugs in Hub and someone in New Reno. And, I know it's almost impossible to implement, make reputation restored again, when you sell stealed stuff for thier regenerated caps (like you do it in normal town), so if you're good thief (have good steal skill+can run away from an angry guy with a gun from the city) you can restore reputation and steal again.
*NPCs, who buying "hot" items restore your reputation for thier caps only for "hot" items, not regular.
**After selling "hot" item to such NPCs they become "sold hot (or don't know...)" items, so if you resell them, you won't get any reputation boost, and you still can't sell them to normal NPC traders.
***Stealing "hot" item already from someone is 100% success, regardless of Steal skill, and it's safe (like stealing from unconscious).
****Selling "hot" items to NPC restores your reputation only lost by stealing, not killing or faction or something else.
*****I know, it's impossible to implement.

Edit: Damn, I only now saw that this isn't a topic about stealing.
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:21 pm »

"Hot" stolen items requires a gov't and police force that has enough power to control the wastes. How the hell is someone in the next town going to know whatever you have is stolen, and even if they did why would they care? Murder and rape is common place.

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »

"Hot" stolen items requires a gov't and police force that has enough power to control the wastes. How the hell is someone in the next town going to know whatever you have is stolen, and even if they did why would they care? Murder and rape is common place.
Because it is an interesting game mechanic allowing thieves to be useful again. Who gives a fuck about if it involves magic. You reported it on radio or something.
Either don't complain about game not being fun or complain about game not being realistic.
<Izual> Let's crash server

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 06:55:08 pm »

lol i stole 4 stimpacks in ncr, with 210 steal and pickpocket perk, but i got -2k karma for that and guards killed me. Talk about stealing...
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »

Because it is an interesting game mechanic allowing thieves to be useful again. Who gives a fuck about if it involves magic. You reported it on radio or something.
Either don't complain about game not being fun or complain about game not being realistic.

I don't see how that suggestion is either, this is less about realism and more about maintaining an atmosphere of lawlessness.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

lol i stole 4 stimpacks in ncr, with 210 steal and pickpocket perk, but i got -2k karma for that and guards killed me. Talk about stealing...
If you want I can give you some caps, you'll buy some stims or bullets.

I don't see how that suggestion is either, this is less about realism and more about maintaining an atmosphere of lawlessness.
Realism? Omg... where you see realism? I just suggested how to solve reputation by stealing, but not making it too easy/abusable.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 09:39:05 pm »

If you want I can give you some caps, you'll buy some stims or bullets.
Realism? Omg... where you see realism? I just suggested how to solve reputation by stealing, but not making it too easy/abusable.

man i dont want stims or bullets, i want to be thief!
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 04:52:12 pm »

I think, that lockpicking should be treated in the same way as steling is. You try to pick a lock, guard sees you, you are not protected any more.

As for cars, how about this:
When you buy a car, it has just ordinary 150% lock. Quiet easy to pick, but you can ask lockpicker to make much better lock for you. Then you could just left that car in NCR a laught about those < 300% lockpickers who are trying to pick your 380% lock.

I admit, that this would work only when skill would affect the chance to pick much more, than luck or something else.

I like the idea of people in towns locking the doors of their houses for night. And they could screem and call for guards, when they spot you robbing their home. There does not have to be any great reward. Just some ciggaretes, few caps, some food, condoms and cats paw in the locker next to the bed. (May be some houses could tell some story about people living there?)

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:22 pm »

this is grave dig, and now the curent sistem is good(i think)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.