maybe
- 9 (14.3%)
I dont think so...
- 4 (6.3%)
no.
- 24 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: thirst and hunger system.  (Read 10111 times)

avv

Re: thirst and hunger system.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:12:11 pm »

This was just a rough draft, I'll try working on it some more later.  btw:

Could you first explain what is the whole purpose of food & water? There's no sense adding more features just for the sake of it.

Trying to achieve everything and anything is a grind, in a game you grind to kill all the enemies, you grind to gather loot, you grind to craft, you grind to get a quest done....... etc.  I guess it just depends on how fun that grind is whether it's stamped with the "Grind" symbol.

TC isn't grind. You can't grind players because they adapt and change. Neither can you grind one time quests.

Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »

Could you first explain what is the whole purpose of food & water? There's no sense adding more features just for the sake of it.
Its the wasteland, it never felt complete without such a feature...  its not really survival, you could just make a character and you've pretty much won at surviving because nothing will happen to you if u sit at your tent all day or even the first place your spawn in registration...
TC isn't grind. You can't grind players because they adapt and change. Neither can you grind one time quests.
How is TC not a grind?  You constantly grind against enemy militia to take towns, you grind to keep towns from being taken, you grind to buy militia, you grind to get equipment for TC, if anything TC is one of the major grinds on fonline.

You can grind bluesuits.

You can grind one time quests with alts.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

avv

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:05:52 pm »

Its the wasteland, it never felt complete without such a feature...  its not really survival, you could just make a character and you've pretty much won at surviving because nothing will happen to you if u sit at your tent all day or even the first place your spawn in registration..

Well that's an alright reasoning but in the end having food wouldn't change our playing style towards survival because surviving is about staying alive, not only getting food. What I mean here are suicide bombing, suicide bursting and all sorts of ridiculous activity that gets your char killed.

You can't call grind-based food system survival because it doesn't encourage surviving. You grind for some food and then go blast yourself to pieces.

How is TC not a grind?

When 2 gangs meet in pvp, that is not grind. Surely we grind for militia & equipment but once you actually fight against players that moment is not grind. You can't farm for example VSB the way you farm Hub Patrol.

You can grind one time quests with alts.

If the quest only provides experience or +rep, it's not worth grinding with alts.

The point was that if you can grind for food, you can amass it. If you can amass it, you can share it with alts and others and do whatever you want. It won't change anything, just force us to gather yet another resource. And in the end, it's not even about survival anymore if your tent is stacked with food.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 11:55:34 pm »

This would make outdoorsman more than just avoid encounters and faster travel on the worldmap but as for a profession hasnt someone put up the idea of a scout or survivalist/hunter?? (which would make just another alt unless you make food untradable).

1. The food cannot be transferred between chars.
2. It is mainly received from npc factions, getting food alone without help should be very challenging or limited to certain builds (fe. only outdoorsman chars)
3. It is mandatory for everyone
4. Being malnourished quarantines your char from most ingame activities (crafting, fighting, looting, skill usage)

The reason why these four rules have a chance to alter our gaming style is that number one makes alting more difficult. The number 2 gives us some rules to follow, making it not recommened to just kill everyone. Number 3 prevents players from total anarchy and from choosing unfalloutish playing styles. Number four means that if player doesn't respect the world the game is set, or his character he is isolated from the world while still giving a chance to recover but not fool around.

You could still kill everyone if cannibalism is an option, just not within i town i suppose so everyone is fair game out in the wastes as food ( and water? i mean if you want to drink your victim's blood.)

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:45 am »

This would make outdoorsman more than just avoid encounters and faster travel on the worldmap but as for a profession hasnt someone put up the idea of a scout or survivalist/hunter?? (which would make just another alt unless you make food untradable).
I believe it has but until thirst and food is implemented such profession would be useless.  One step at a time.
You could still kill everyone if cannibalism is an option, just not within i town i suppose so everyone is fair game out in the wastes as food ( and water? i mean if you want to drink your victim's blood.)
 Not even in ungaurded towns.  then it'd be fine.  You'd have to hunt down your victim  ;D.  (Oh, and I'd prefer to keep it to eating players.  but if it must npcs too.  (Because then it'd be WAYYY too easy)
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:15:52 am »

yeah you are right about not being able to cannibalise npc's and when i said towns i meant all of them otherwise it'd be too easy to camp bluesuits to chomp away at if they are brave enough to go into unguarded towns.

Y0ssarian

• incredible
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:39 am »

100% support the idea but here's the main flaw:

with the playerbase will it pass?
power

avv

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »

then it'd be fine.  You'd have to hunt down your victim  ;D.  (Oh, and I'd prefer to keep it to eating players.  but if it must npcs too.  (Because then it'd be WAYYY too easy)

Cannibalism would be awesome. They would be the outcasts of fonline, shot on sight by everyone. Perfect role for pks of today because then they'd have a reason to kill someone.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »

Cannibalism... sounds good :D
Enemy deserve death and be eaten.
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

Cannibalism... sounds good :D
Enemy deserve death and be eaten.

what enemy? if you are a cannibal then all you see is food   :o

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »

what enemy? if you are a cannibal then all you see is food   :o
...Say true Cannibal :D
But anyway there is simple way to get Cannibalism.
1. Perk for it.
2. Change killed body to bone sprites when you use "Cannibalism" to body.

avv

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »

But anyway there is simple way to get Cannibalism.
1. Perk for it.

Not really necessary. Once you make the decision to become cannibal, there's no way back.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 09:35:53 pm »

Like i said it could be a trait.

You are a carnivore of your own kind, you have learned to eat humans, yet you feel weakened after each meal.  You are rejected by almost all.  You sick bastard.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:23 pm »

I am not against this, but the water and food system should be done by some entertaining way.

I.e. you should be able to drink water at base, from some kind of supply tank, that should be refiiled by water caravans...

So this would add another ingame mechanics like water merchants (driven by players) or something else. But if the concept would mean only that you will have to do necessary thing (find water, food) to do another neccesary thing (leveling), without any other benefit, i am against.
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

yay another thing to grind

Just no
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 25 queries.