"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:34:05 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Disable Cyrillic alphabet for naming characters  (Read 8764 times)

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Disable Cyrillic alphabet for naming characters
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2010, 11:24:29 pm »

Well, it's not a new suggestion and we would have done it already, if we would be able to do it.
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:52 pm »

Oh and Floodnik. You're not russian and can understand it. Great. Can you understand chinese (I guess you're not) ?
Hm, Lemme think how many Chinese players are on 2238. 1? 0?
Plus, cyryllic is a feature that's already in the game. Chinese would have to be implemented.
Plus, cyryllic is 27 letters. Chinese is around 5 thousand characters. Can you see the difference?
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30:22 pm »

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah...

Author of this suggestion was talking about removing player NAMES which are writed in cyryllic and this is what we supposed to talk about. It makes sense because its hard to recognize players.

About yor offtopic conversation: It doesnt matter is they will write in russian using cyryllic or latin alphabet. If you don't know russian you won't understand it anyway either in latin or cyrillic alphabet. Same goes with any other language.

Let's focus on topic.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 11:54:03 pm »

Well, it's not a new suggestion and we would have done it already, if we would be able to do it.

Well, end of the line I think ;p

Floodnik: it's funny, I guess you don't read my post (and even other ones), just watch 2-3 key word to reply. Or maybe you're just dumb, I am not sure.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 11:58:50 pm »

Yeah, it's funny. I told you what I think. Since there are many Russians on 2238, I am for leaving cyryllic in nicknames. And if it's really a problem for you, you could just learn these 27 letters.
You didn't contrargument these from what I see. So what should we do now?

Dziubek

• The Dark Brotherhood, Akatosh1
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2010, 12:04:04 am »

Disable it
TDB aka CS
Akatosh1

Schwartz

• Killed by death.
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2010, 12:08:49 am »

There are many russians on 2238, let them name they chars in cyrillic.

Stop always comparing Lemmy to God.
I mean...he's cool & stuff, but he's just not Lemmy.
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2010, 01:59:28 am »

I don't mean to be ignorant, racist, intolerant or simply rude... but I am... so that's the way it comes out: we should disable it

and that's just because we can't tell the difference between one name and another, and we tend to recognize all cyrillic nicks as potential pks, thieves and other wasteland scum... and that is very, very wrong.

disable it so we can once again be toletant and all-peace-full-like and stuff like that, because nicks would no longer  cause a bad first impression
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:03 am »

If Name colourizing would be enabled this wouldint be a problem...

Anyways, i am unsure about this, the cyrillics ingame chatting doesint matter though(but you should be able to disable the lang switch command totally for yourself, i accidently click on the "change languge" button every third day... and i know others are doing too) people are speaking diffrent languages anyways.

Without name colourizing i think the cyrillics in names are not working properly, (name colourizing acted instead of situational retelling the players name, recognizing players by their name) you cant remember or read cyrillics unless you know what they mean in most cases.

With name colourizing like pre-wipe, i think its no problem though.

I would for other, disable symbols like: -

Edit: Or, you can have a button that when you press it down it translates from Cyrillics to Latin, although, i am not sure if its possible languge wise, dont know Cyrillics.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:09:42 am by kttdestroyer »

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2010, 03:16:11 am »

Seems like this topic is solved, but I need to react to few posts

Some of you argued, that there are a lot of russian players, even majority (sources please ?) - apart from Rogues, SOT to be accurate, I dont know any other bigger gang on 2238. Same thing goes about chinese players, you cant know how many active chinese players are playing atm - they have their own subforum, so I dont think its 0-1 players.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2010, 03:20:47 am »

Nope. We can do that. It's called transliteration.
then it should be done automaticly to english clients ( players with latin charset used and option to do this turned on )
that would be win-win situation
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2010, 07:57:27 am »

then it should be done automaticly to english clients ( players with latin charset used and option to do this turned on )
that would be win-win situation
Heh :) As some gm's like to say to every second suggestion: "this would require engine changes". And since no one of dev team are able (or willing) to do this, this will be never implemented. Which was proved by  Lexx.

Seems like this topic is solved, but I need to react to few posts

Some of you argued, that there are a lot of russian players, even majority (sources please ?) - apart from Rogues, SOT to be accurate, I dont know any other bigger gang on 2238. Same thing goes about chinese players, you cant know how many active chinese players are playing atm - they have their own subforum, so I dont think its 0-1 players.

Sarakin, there is more Russian gangs than you mentioned, maybe you just don't know all of them. Here is just a few I can clearly remember: Mukhosransk city (it was really big pre-wipe, like 50-100 players or so), BBN (Banda Untitled) and of course SoT (which unites a few smaller gangs). I'm not even speaking about small gangs, but only these three had like 150 or more people totally. 

Pryszczu666

• "And if you gaze for long, into an abyss..."
    • Fonline: Wasteland 2155
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

Burn and disable

wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2010, 09:50:45 am »

Wow, 5 pages, and the sugestion is pointless since a engine change is needed and only the 'ruskies' know how to do it.

Maybe there's a chance to edit the font used for a client side hack to replace cyrilic with latin characters?

Anyway I'm still for Unicode.
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 09:55:54 am »

Now that everything important has been said, this thread can sleep peacefully now.

Locked.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.