"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:18:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Disable Cyrillic alphabet for naming characters  (Read 8763 times)

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
Disable Cyrillic alphabet for naming characters
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:14:35 am »

As in subject: using Cyrillic font in character name should be disabled. Why? Since not everyone is able to read it, and since its English speaking server.
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
Re: Disable Cyrillic alphabet for naming characters
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:52 am »

(...) using Cyrillic font in character name should be disabled (...)

I say: disable cyrillic totally, it's ancient TLA legacy that should be removed long time ago.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:42:27 am »

This way it will be a lot easier for non Russian speakers to remember the name of the Russian who just PK'd you.

Now seriously, I don't think I can personally agree with this. After all, I always bitch about not having this letter in FOnline.

skejwen

• BBS AKBAR!
    • Brahmins rox
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:48:08 am »

I would say no to disabling it totally. Its easier to read Cyrillic than its transliteration to Latin ;)
"Moo-OooooOO! MoMoo.. MmmmoOoo.. Moo!", translate from brahmin to English: "Two things are infinite - brahmin shit and human stupidity! - Brahminstein"

wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:34:49 am »

UTF-8 or bust!
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:34 am »

Absolutely agree.

I thought that nobody will want agree with it, but as i see it was mistake.

Totally removing cyrillic is a little bit much for me, but we will see.

So yes, disable for naming characters !
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:39:28 am by Hololasima »
Avatar: Equality of rights for ghouls!

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:56 am »

Disable it from server totally or even name creation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:41:58 am by runboy93 »
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:07 am »

I am against. How else could you recognize pk now? Cyrilic name = PKs cyrilic speech = PKs. With no client colorizing or server colorizing everyone would look just even more similar. And we would lose many jokes in cyrilic on radio 0 which we cannot read. xD
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:32 am »

I am against!!!!

There are many russian players that preffers 2238 over TLA or other fallout online modifications. This step would be step back. Even russian TLA server enable latin and cyrilic, and they are even TRANSLATING russian texts (even quests) into english so more players not from russian speaking countires could play that game. At moment, when server is fighting battle for individual players this would be capitulation to russian part of community.

Second thing is, that is hard to remember nicks in cyrilic. But there was solution, very elegant, but it would need to enable old colourizing system and we are at the endless discussion if colourizing kills or helps server community.

So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:10 am »

I am against. How else could you recognize pk now? Cyrilic name = PKs cyrilic speech = PKs. With no client colorizing or server colorizing everyone would look just even more similar. And we would lose many jokes in cyrilic on radio 0 which we cannot read. xD

And how you can now recognize 3 almost same nicks in cirillic ? So what is harder ? Recognize 3 nicks in latin(RaiderAB, Fucker01, SexyBitch) or 3 nicks in cirillic(привет, иветпр, еирвпт) ?

Lordus: Topic is about "Disable Cirillic for naming characters", not for whole cirillic alphabet in game, then i am too against, it will be step back if they will turn off whole cirillic alphabet, but again, its not case of topic.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:48:41 am by Hololasima »
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:44:41 am »

Disable it
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

And how you can now recognize 3 almost same nicks in cirillic ? So what is harder ? Recognize 3 nicks in latin(RaiderAB, Fucker01, SexyBitch) or 3 nicks in cirillic(привет, иветпр, еирвпт) ?

You dont need to recognize cyrilic names. They are all same: just very dangerous NPCs. :P
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Lordus

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:52 am »

You know we had succesfull system of implementing cyrilic nicks into colourizing. So there was solution.

It is always battle of principles, ideas. Whats more important?

Recognize player names or prevent to knock out this server by major cutting of from russian fallout online community?

I answered not only to first topic, but even to others, about eliminating whole cyrilic. To check how many players are using cyrilic, tune radio to channel 0 and look at cyrilic text.. At moment, when i was still active, there was half to half texts in cyrilic and latin. Every measure against russian players is step back, even i know there are mostly PKs,... . But look at number of playing players right now. This will not help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:49:54 am by Lordus »
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »

You know very well, same as me that they dont want, for some reason old colorizing back, i want it too.

Skejwen suggested that it wil not be possible to have characters with cirillic letters, and its usefull thing for recognizing players without colorizing. And as said Skejwen, not everyone is able to read it + i dont see any reason why russian testers cant have nicks in latin same as others, like chinese, africans,mongols,north koreans,brazilians and etc

If someone want disable whole cirillic from server then i am against.

And i dont think that massive wave of russian players will leave server because they cant have nick in cirillic alphabet.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:10:43 pm by Hololasima »

Lordus

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:09:46 pm »

I dont know if i will start play on server where i can not use name in my language..

Maybe solution could be, that there should be some kind of translator from cyrilic to latin and you should be able to turn in on or off. So you will see their names in latin. But every step that could lead into lost of russian community is bad, because there are not many players they will replace them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.