"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 01, 2024, 12:03:20 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Challenge: A character who can make it on his own  (Read 6456 times)

Tom

Challenge: A character who can make it on his own
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:50 am »

Hey, this is my first post on the forums, but I've been playing on and off since last summer. I come to you with a very important question. I am a player who doesn't really have the time to manage multiple characters or participate in a organization. Y'know, I can have a few hunting buddies and people I traded with more often than others, but no one I can rely on to steadily make ammo/stims for me or lend me equipment when I die.

Imagine if you were like me and you HAD to make a character build who can make it without the help of an org or the resources of another one of your characters. People on these forums are very good at making builds with specific goals (crippling, sneaking, crafting etc.), and I've also seen some newbie builds, but they are more about learning the ropes with ease than being maximally efficient. The challenge here is to make a true wastelander who doesn't rely on anyone, someone with a bit more ambivalence.

Here is what interests me:

-Will you interact with NPCs (trade, slavery, mercs, missions)?
-Which combat skill will you choose (sg, ew, bg, throwing etc.)?
-What specific weapon will you use at low level, at mid level and at level 21?
-WHERE will you pitch your tent? Traveling is very slow since wipe, it's important to have a good location.
-How will you make caps and how will you use them?
-How will you gain xp?
-How will you survive encounters, both PvP and PvE?
-Which attributes, skills, traits and perks will you choose?
-What wil be the advantages and limitations of your build?

edit: FYI: my first character was a tier 3 energy expert who could make a lot of caps but who really wasnt strong enough to defend himself in high-quality mines and still got overwhelmed when he had a plasma rifle and metal armor.  He couldn't really do anything other than kill scorpions and other weaks mutants with laser pistols.
My other noteworthy character was a gernadier who was totally able to defend himself against the lightly-armed muggers that lurk unguarded areas, but demolition profession required a lot of points to be versed into perception, intelligence, traps and all sorts of other skills that had no other use to him. He was pretty successful as a solo character, but he just couldn't do a lot of stuff

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:07:32 am by Tom »
Re: Challenge: A character who can make it on his own
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:23 am »

That partly depends on your preferences.
I would choose for a SG build:

ST 3
PE 6
EN 8
CH 3
IN 6
AG 8
LK 6

Optional, if you can get mentats and don't plan on doing much trading, you could put CH to 1 and put those points in AG.

Traits:
One Hander - does +20% in SG skill, therefore compensating the -20% for the 1 ST shortage for SMG, 14mm pistol and P90c
Good Natured / Fast Shot (for 14mm pistol) / Small Frame

Perks:
3 Toughess / Awereness
6 BRD
9 BRD
12 Lifegiver
15 Lifegiver
18 BRoF
21 AB

For a pistoleer with 10 AP (8 AG + 1 AB), you could take Living Anatomy at level 15.

Tagged skills: SG, FA, Outdoors
I would put FA and OD to 100.
SG 180-200.
Science to 40 to be able to make gunpowder and metal parts.
The rest in doctor if there's a descent amount left, otherwise is SG or FA.

CH 3 is required for trading.
You can't be a crafter build, so trading is needed to get needed stuff.
Science 40 is enough to craft gunpowder and metal parts to make 10mm JHP.
I would start with a 10mm pistol (and gunrunners bonus if possible) and try to get hold of a 10mm SMG asap.
At high level it would be a P90c probably with some AP ammo.

Tent would be around the place I'm planning to level.
So most likely a not to busy place which isn't on normal travel routes, yet close enough to a town to do some trading.
It would also be not too far from a workbench or mine.
With science 40 there's no need to mine in an unguarded mine.

As a loner there isn't that much need for caps, so no real attempts to make some.
Although trading stuff would get me some which can be used in trades with other players.

XP gaining by hunting mutated molerats and from time to time either caravans or raiders, marauders and rogues for the loot.

Big disadvantage would be the 3 CH which means 2 points I could have put in EN or AG.

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:49 am »

Interesting topic. But really, experienced player can manage with most of the combat-efficient builds. Gather stuff alone, succeed in combat in some cases, not always though. You just need to create certain builds, and know the game well.

But I suppose that with this build, you can do all kinds of stuff.

- Charisma 3, minimum for trading and traveling with small groups. Also one NPC follower spot free.

- Small guns in this case.

- Low level = Most of the guns craftable with Small Guns profession level 1. Mid level = Assault Rifle is good in many situations, it's a good overall weapon. Level 21 is still probably Assault Rifle, due to its effectiveness in lots of cases, also P90c if you can afford some of them when you are level 21.

- I prefer to set up a tent around southern cities. You've got Hub, Junktown, Necropolis, various places in Boneyard.

- How to make caps? Trade. Get stuff by killing some critters (won't spoil you which though), trade them for caps. Use caps for professions / bases / mercs / cars / whatever.

- Kill molerats.

- Good tip in PvE is to have vs encounters. Like Unity Patrol vs Rogues, you can easily focus on the unity, and hope you kill them before they kill the rogues. PvP is much different, you can't really have good tactics for it. My tip would be: Use enviroment for your advantage, not his / hers.

- It's in the build, PM me if you want it. But a good overall perk choice is "Toughness". When you take two of them, every encounter will be much easier, and you get a nice resistance against normal attacks from Combat Leather Jacket too!

- Advantages hmm... Good PvE killer, not so good in PvP, just like most builds which are gonna be here. Can make tier 2 armors and tier 2 guns, and materials from them too. Has a decent repairing skill with tool, even better with super tool kit.  Worst limitation here is the lack of medical skills.
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:48:37 am »

^

I played such a build in nearly every "season" so far and was "successfull" imho. You can craft some guns, some armors (Level 2 Armorer&Small Guns Profession), use the stuff you crafted for crafting your own equipment, or to sell it. If you have a hard time selling stuff to NPC, try making lots of metal armors, people always buy them. I amassed a nice amount of caps in the past with this. It wouldn't hurt if you give your character said Toughness perks, and maybe one or two lifegivers. High Intelligence is appropriate, to have lots of needed Skillpoints. Some amount into Outdoorsman is good, some points in First Aid and ofcourse some points in Small Guns. You just need to realize that this character won't be able to compete against other pure combat characters. But it is a nice start for someone in the FOnline world, to make your living a bit easier.

Tom

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:30:36 am »

Interesting build, Hertog, I never thought of starting off a SG build with 3 ST.

I'm running it through the character planner, here are some small changes I made: I took small frame (no need to carry too much stuff if I'm not a crafter), and added the extra point it gave me to my perception. I didn't put it in agility because I didn't want my SG to be over 50 (gunrunners bonus) and because I guess perception is useful too; I got weapon handling perk so I don't have to worry about being unable to use two-handed or 5+ strength weapons. Of course, I'd be stuck using a desert eagle until level 12, but it seems fair to me.

I followed Nexxos's suggestion and decided not to craft. Although making level 1 or 2 ammo would be interesting, with a strength of 3 and a small frame carrying stuff is going to be too hard.  And that way, I don't need much skills points, so I put the intelligence at 5 and the perception at 8 (there is no point increasing the endurance by 1 since it won't give me more hp per level, and all the other attributes don't seem as important)

So:
3ST 8PE 3CH 8IN 7AG 6LU
Small frame - Good natured
Small guns - first aid - outdoorsman
Awareness - Toughness - BRD - Weapon Handling - Lifegiver - Lifegiver - AB
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:00:35 pm by Tom »
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:50 am »

3ST 8PE 8CH 3IN 7AG 6LU

st3 pe8 en8 ch3 in5 ag7 lk6?

1st :
Why do u need pe8?
If u're going to use assault rifle, then pe6-7 will do.
Assault rifle single shot 40 range, brust shot 3x range

2nd :
dun use small frame if u want to take stuff form critters
bcoz ST3 with small frame only have 31wg, after bring a assault rife and a metal armor MKII will take near 20wg

3rd :
AG7!?
AG never never be odd number, unless u drink nuka-coke

4th :
weapon handling add 3ST for determing weapon min st.
3ST+WH = 6, why u need 6ST then?

P.S : No offense, but i dun see any good build in this fourm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:58:57 am by DSEX »
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:16:18 am »

Interesting build, Hertog, I never thought of starting off a SG build with 3 ST.

I'm running it through the character planner, here are some small changes I made: I took small frame (no need to carry too much stuff if I'm not a crafter), and added the extra point it gave me to my perception. I didn't put it in agility because I didn't want my SG to be over 50 (gunrunners bonus) and because I guess perception is useful too; I got weapon handling perk so I don't have to worry about being unable to use two-handed or 5+ strength weapons. Of course, I'd be stuck using a desert eagle until level 12, but it seems fair to me.

I followed Nexxos's suggestion and decided not to craft. Although making level 1 or 2 ammo would be interesting, with a strength of 3 and a small frame carrying stuff is going to be too hard.  And that way, I don't need much skills points, so I put the intelligence at 5 and the perception at 8 (there is no point increasing the endurance by 1 since it won't give me more hp per level, and all the other attributes don't seem as important)

So:
3ST 8PE 8CH 3IN 7AG 6LU

You messed up your list of special.

5 IN means no BRoF perk.
3 ST with One Hander equals 4 ST when it comes to single handed weapons like SMG and P90c.
So it's enough for all one handed weapons, no need to use a DE for leveling.
With buffout you get 5 ST, enough for sniper rifle and assault rifle, 1 too short for FN-FAL.
However with One Hander trait you get a -40% on using them.

If you want to take Weapon Handling perk and Lifegiver, take Lifegiver first.
So at levels 12 and 15 to maximize it's bonus.

Nexxos

• o_O
  • O_o
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

bla bla bla

Yeah, the build here was 5, 6, 6, 3, 7, 7, 6. Skills tagged: Small Guns, Repair and Outdoorsman.

Trait: Good Natured, just for a bit higher medical skills, so that they're not in the lowest levels. No other traits.

Perks:

Level 3 - Toughness
Level 6 - Toughness (awesome to take 2x toughness instantly)
Level 9 - More Critical
Level 12 - Lifegiver (taken in almost every case, although with 10 Endurance and no lifegivers, you'll land around ~180)
Level 15 - Lifegiver
Level 18 - Bonus Rate of Fire
Level 21 - You can pick various options for this. Action Boy, Pack Rat, More Criticals, Better Criticals. There are many choices, but I'd go with Action Boy so that you can get 2 bursts in a turn with Assault Rifle.

Skills:

Small Guns - 175%
Science - 100% (for making High Quality Alloys)
Repair - 161%
Outdoorsman - 120%

AG7!?
AG never never be odd number, unless u drink nuka-coke

AG7 is good in most cases, leaves room for Nuka-Cola, and is the required AG for Bonus Rate of Fire. And, if you have low ST for certain weapons, and AG7, you can eat buffout for no AP loss, since it's already an odd number.

I followed Nexxos's suggestion and decided not to craft.

I actually sacrificed the medical skills in my build for crafting purposes. You can even maintain most of your crafted stuff with 161% repair and tool!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:14:00 am by NexxosFIN »
“And we passed through the cavern of rats.

And we passed through the path of streaming flamethrowers.

And we passed through the faction of the blind.

And we passed through the slough of swarm.

And we passed through the vale of tears.

And we came, finally, to the ice caverns.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:05 am »

AG7 is good in most cases, leaves room for Nuka-Cola, and is the required AG for Bonus Rate of Fire. And, if you have low ST for certain weapons, and AG7, you can eat buffout for no AP loss, since it's already an odd number.

its not a good idea to suggest a new wastelander to take drugs
and if he want a char. that can make it on his own, then ag7 is definitely not enough, especially at RL mode

Tom

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:59:38 pm »

You guys are a big help. I'm trying to find a balance between all of your suggestions, but I'm not sure if by trying to find common ground I'm just making everything worse. Take a look:

*As per DSEX's suggestion I'll knock off Small Frame, not sure why I chose that, 31 or even 38 kg is way too little.
*Hertog, I wrote 8CH and 3IN, but it's meant to be the other way around, I'll edit that in my post.

Following mostly Nexxos's build, here is what I have come up with:
*I won't do the 1-handed thing Hertog suggested because it really limits the amount of weapons I can use properly; in this build I have 4 ST to start with anyway, which can also be compensated with weapon handling later on.
*I decided to craft because it's only 1ST point away, but I wouldn't be able to go past SG tier 2 and armor tier 1.

4ST 6PE 6EN 3CH 7IN 8AG 6LU

At level 21 I can have 199 HP, toughness x2, more critical, lifegiver x2, weapon handling and action boy. Approximately 179 SG, 99 FA, 80 Sci, 153 repair, 90 outdoors

Not as much health as Hertog's build, but with crafting skills and more weapon choice.

Also: I cannot get both BRof AND action boy if I'll want to get weapon handling. Of course, I could just increase my ST instead of getting that perk, but lowering other attributes will either weaken me too much or remove the prerequesites for BRoF anyway. My choice is either getting BRoF+AB OR having decent
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 12:43:47 am »

4ST 6PE 6EN 3CH 7IN 8AG 6LU
At level 21 I can have 199 HP, toughness x2, more critical, lifegiver x2, weapon handling and action boy. Approximately 179 SG, 99 FA, 80 Sci, 153 repair, 90 outdoors

max ST required for sg is 5 (h&k caws its the only exception), so take small frame and put ST in 5. you dont need to take weapon handling. if you want more carry weigth take pack rat instead and you will have more capacity than with 4 ST.

more criticals in this build is almost usseless, take BRoF instead. so you can make 2 aimed shoot with pistols or 2 burst with rifles/shotguns.
"Is it possible for man to conquer his own Karma!? Unless we can find a way to defeat the cycles of time, there is no future for mankind!"
-Desty Nova.

Fridge_Man

• The Guardians
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:38:06 am »

Your build should be either burst or crit based, and for your purpose i would suggest burst.
First thing, 4 strenght is perfect as its the requirement for SMG and P90c, your weapons of choice.
The only reason for 5 STR could be Assault Rifle's requirement. It is a good allround weapon, but i would
not waste 1 special point because of that. More then 4 STR or weapon handling on a SG burst guy is just wasted.

Second thing, you should drop more crits and maybe 1 toughness too, and try to get a bonus ranged damage
and bonus rate of fire. That will help u way more then a single more crit perk.

Another good thing about the burster is that u dont need to skill up SG as high as snipers have to. 160 should be fine.
So dont stop at 80 Science, go for 100, its required to do HQ alloys and also helps when you want to dismantle crappy loot guns.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:45:41 am by Fridge_Man »

Tom

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:11:41 pm »

More then 4 STR or weapon handling on a SG burst guy is just wasted.

Nope!
If I have 4ST as opposed to 5ST I won't be able to get Small Frame (38kg is not enough), so I won't actually get any attribute points by lowering ST. I'll follow RavenWolf's advice.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 03:17:50 pm »

38kg is not enough
Nioh, nioh, nioh!
its not a good idea to suggest a new wastelander to take drugs
and if he want a char. that can make it on his own, then ag7 is definitely not enough, especially at RL mode
You sure are an unexperienced player.

Fridge_Man

• The Guardians
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »

Ok if u want to wear a Power Armor 38k might be not enough ;)
But a BA plus P90c, 140 rounds 10mm JHP and 2 Superstims is 18kg,
still enough room to loot some stuff or doing a minerun until cooldown.

You will be able to make sg3 profession too, all you need is 1 Buffout.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.