"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 06:43:16 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Speech skill  (Read 1794 times)

Speech skill
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »

Yes, I know, alot suggestion was about speech skill.
I've used "the Search" and watched EVERY topic with word "speech" in it.
So, there's no special topic for this skill in "Suggestions" board.

So what I've found:

Extra Mercs from Speech isn't a bad idea at all. Change it to (Ch/2)-2 and an extra merc per 50% of Speech.

Ch 1+2 = No Mercs, cant talk to Merc traders either (So no mercs even with good speech)
Ch 3+4 = No Mercs
Ch 5+6 = 1 Merc
Ch 7+8 = 2 Mercs
Ch 9 + 10 = 3 Mercs

50% = +1
100% = +2
150% = +3
200% + 4
250% + 5
300% + 6

Perhaps would could have a few "free" mercs in encounters, so that you don't count the first two mercs for scaling purposes.

I also think we will probably see Merc use more in the new TC system too.

Back in Fallout, charismatic/speech characters could work miracles. They could talk the Master into giving up his world domination. In FOnline, they're kind of a wet blanket. Their strengths apply to the number of followers, mercs nobody buys, and that's it. So, here's my plan:

Having someone of significantly above average charisma, say 7 or above, combined with a decent speech skill (80%?), as leader of your party has a positive effect on the rest of the team. The higher the charisma/speech the bigger the benefit. Much like the 'leader' perk in Fallout Tactics where they gain bonuses to agility and armour class. These guys would improve their team's rolls - to hit, maybe even a small bonus to critical chance/critical strength, that kind of thing.

So, as you can see there's ALOT things what speech can do.
I know, there're other problems now, and there's no time for making codes and formulas in game for this skill, but I just want to create special topic for this skill, so you can see what it can do and add something new, because this skill can be really useful.

1) Speech can be used not only for with charisma for max. mercs. Also charisma can be used on max mercs' strength you can afford. I mean, 1st level character, with 10 CH can have 4 muties with rocketlaunchers. So.. you'll need high speech for muties.
2) As you can see too. Speech need for leaders, but also, as vedaras mentioned about "Team Player" perk:
in lets say 8 hexes distance around you
So, your speech skill will affect your party members (if you're a leader), if they're within N hexes from you.

So there's suggestion about How to make speech skill useful and not exploitable by Speech-Alts, I mean, they must do anything else, except for just standing. Party Leaders shouldn't sit in a corner of a toilet roon in battle, or thier speech skill won't affect his members. Even opposite, if party leader is too far away from his party members, they can suffer very small penalty. And if a party leader have very low speech, again, party members can have some penalties, 'cause of uncertainty of his leader, who can't normally explain why are they here and what they need to do.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Speech skill
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:59 pm »

why there was no reply here for over 120 days?

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 04:39:28 pm »

Why don't you try to reply something of value?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:47:17 am »

Well I think digging up this thread wasn't that bad I definitely wouldn't have come up with an idea like this would it be possible to make a check in the mercenary leader's dialog a similar one that happens in fallout when the dialog checks for skills and player stats, as I heard the scripting language is different but the approach should work.
Something like this as a check in the dialog (first two is overwriting the system since min 3 ch needed for followers but i think everyone should have one dog or brahmin and unarmed melee guys should take up the fallout formula ch/2 ignore it if not possible)
ch 1 speach >0 dog and brahmin
ch 2 speech >50 unarmed and melee fighter
ch 3 speach >80 small gunner
ch 4 speach >100 big gunner and energy
ch 5 speach >80 supermutant unarmed
ch 10 speach >150 supermutant bigguns and energy
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.