"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:22:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Train stations revealed on character creation  (Read 12270 times)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Train stations revealed on character creation
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:46:50 pm »

Seems it wasn't officially suggested before, so...

With the current moving speed (which is great) the game needs to promote the other transports modes. Cars are fine, except that they could be sold somewhere else than in a pkers' nest, but train needs to be more used. Yes, it needs to be improved in some ways, but for now one simple thing would make it a lot better and more used transports mode: to reveal the train stations automatically. It makes no sense to have to do a quest to see them, and this is one of the things that make the train a forgotten feature.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
Re: Train stations revealed on character creation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:39 pm »

This is very true.
As this is a rather new feature it should be testable right from the start, to make people wanna know how it is. At the moment i dont give a damn about this because i dont wanna do a damn quest that gives me a location i dont really know what it offers to me.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »

They should be leaving the stations twice as many times as now and maybe a station should be added to Redding.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

I see no reason why players should get everything from the very beginning without doing anything for it.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:17:58 pm »

Damn, our great plan was discovered. Now we cant get everything without doin anything.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 02:18:48 pm »

By this logic you should do a quest for a Fixboy to apear. This feature could be realy great but this way its a wasted potential.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:10 pm »

I see no reason why players should get everything from the very beginning without doing anything for it.

I agree.
Since the wipe I see more people using trains than before, so people already know about it.
2 out of 4 train station locations can be acquired easily by level 1 characters by accepting a quest close to their starting location (Boneyard, VC).
Only NCR's rail line quest is too hard for low level alts unless they do it in groups.

There should be more places to buy cars.
SF, Boneyard and Junktown make sense.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »

Trains are a good idea, but keeping stations hidden unless you talk to specific doctors is bafflingly arbitrary. How the hell could you miss a train station attached to a town? It's not a super high end gear manufacturing base you're keeping hidden from players, but basic world travel - and now world map speed is much slower.

I understand why they're not revealed - "players shouldn't get anything for free", but there's not a lot of logic behind the quest path. It's like having to find out about a medical facility from the Modoc tannery. Let players see the location and then be told they need to do the quest to obtain access.

Players should have to use their initiative, sure, but they shouldn't have to be psychic. Or playing with a wiki printout.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:28 pm »

Let players see the location and then be told they need to do the quest to obtain access.

That would be nice.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 05:30:39 pm »

Trains are a good idea, but keeping stations hidden unless you talk to specific doctors is bafflingly arbitrary. How the hell could you miss a train station attached to a town?

As you can see on the worldmap, the circles are extra and not attached to a close town. Also if people would read the dialogues, they would know why a) there are just a few train stations, b) they aren't known a lot and c) not everyone is yelling about it.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:39 pm »

But they are not hidden. And I'm not mentioning the railway all around the wasteland :P
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:40:07 pm »

But they are from gameplay point of view. Else ever hidden location makes no sense. A big gang hideout with lots of stuff and buildings around is hidden somewhere? Doubtful.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:47:28 pm »

Something can be hidden even if it is noticeable, for example if it is down a cliff or in the middle of nowhere. I like hidden locations, like Sierra or Toxic Caves. I think more should be, like Mariposa or Vault 13 for example. But it's not the point of this suggestion; hiding train stations serves no purpose. Especially if the only way to see them is to talk to a doctor or something like that.

Players should have to use their initiative, sure, but they shouldn't have to be psychic. Or playing with a wiki printout.

That's why I like how Sierra is revealed (talking to someone in a random encounter), and why I dislike the way Train Stations are revealed - and I think they shouldn't be hidden at all.
My Youtube channel.

- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »

The point is that trains aren't halfway near as popular as they could and should be.

It's too basic a feature to force players to travel to the Boneyard or Vault City. It's not intuitive gameplay. I'd be fine with a quest that originated from the stations themselves, because that would make sense. That way, from the start, players would be aware that trains exist and that there is a way to get them running. You want to get trains, you go to the train station. You do the quest at the train station to get trains.

But having to look at the game's wiki page to discover that the quest, or even trains exist, is poor design. You can't expect players to go talk to every NPC in every town on the off chance they have a quest at this stage in the game, as there's just too few around.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 06:20:13 pm »

I don't have a problem about that. When I do the quest and finally see the stations, I feel like I have achieved something and can finally use these trains. Sorry, but in my opinion they are fine as they are.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.