"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:32:32 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Modify Sneak and Steal system  (Read 935 times)

Modify Sneak and Steal system
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »

Hello,
As far as the Wiki page states, "Up to 3 hexes from opponent, your character is always visible, regardless your sneak skill," unless any of this has been changed with the wipe.

I have wanted to play a thief character, and while I know thieves are despised enough already, I think a skilled thief should be able to sneak away with loot undetected after a successful Steal. Stealing while being seen completely takes away the fun of it for me, and I feel like it is a slap in the face to the players being stolen from.

While the current system may be acceptable for stealing from NPC's, I think the only way to steal from other players should be when they cannot see the thief. Because let us be honest, it is silly to just stand there as we see someone going through our pockets, and we should not allow that to happen.

That is why I think that when one's Sneak is high enough, they should have a chance to reach another player undetected. It would all be dependent on the opponent's perception and peripheral vision (which way their character is turned), and of course the sneaking character's Sneak skill.
That way, the limit could stay 3 hexes away in the opponent's field of vision directly in front of them, but as one's Sneak is being improved they could be able to sneak up to an opponent 2 hexes away from behind, then perhaps 1 hex from behind and 2 hexes from the sides, and eventually if their Sneak is quite high, they could stand in the hex directly behind another player undetected, and within 1 hex away from the sides or 2 hexes from the front.
(Maybe later on they could sneak up directly from the sides as well or even the front when Sneak is 300, but the details could be hammered out later.)

Still, if they attempt to steal and the steal is unsuccessful, it would make the opponent detect them.
On top of that, perhaps stealing could be made 'hardcore,' and the only way to successfully steal from another player would be in Sneak. Any Steal performed on a player while not sneaking would automatically be unsuccessful, and any unsuccessful steal would automatically break Sneak. To make things even more complicated, there should be some kind of a system to prevent thieves from just repeatedly trying to steal from the same player over and over until they get lucky. Perhaps a time limit during which the thief would always be visible to the player, even in Sneak. Or perhaps the thief would at least have to exit the current location and come back. As for stealing from NPC's, I guess the current way is fine since it is not as big of a deal to steal from them, but again, that is something that could be decided on later.

I think this would make a thief character a lot more challenging but also a lot more fun to play for dedicated thief players. At the same time I believe it would reduce the amount of 'troll' thieves waiting in towns to rob players speaking to traders or just wanting to peacefully go about their business. One would not have to automatically get nervous and jittery for fear of being robbed whenever another player runs too close to them.
The only thief they should fear is the one they cannot see. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:47:20 pm by Matej »

Kombajn

• Ciśnij pompki, paziu.
Re: Modify Sneak and Steal system
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:45:48 pm »

As far as I remember everybody were trying to nerf sneak skill as it was to overpowered. Know you wish sneaker to be invisible from one hex behind (if sneak skill reach 300).
Even if there will be possibility to boost sneak skill only with steal skill this is not good to make thiefs so powerful.

If you are being visible from 3 hexes you still got quite a chance to steal something. And you wrote also that you wanted to play a thief character, so create such a char and play a bit, then you will see if any of your suggestions are correct.

And watch this, maybe you will learn something :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hboPd9GzJxg
Currently retired.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »

Stealing is allready too easy, by making sneakers invisible you would make this OP as fukk. I am highly against this.

+ good pickpocket IRL is not the one you never see, it's the one you never notice. You see this guy standing right next to you but you just wouldn't expect him to steal anything from you. Same should go for FOnline pickpockets  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:22:14 pm by Vincenzo »
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:21:41 pm »

Stealing is allready too easy, by making sneakers invisible you would make this OP as fukk. I am highly against this.

+ good pickpocket IRL is not the one you never see, it's the one you never notice. You see this guy standing right next to you but you just wouldn't expect him to steal anything from you. Same should go for FOnline pickpockets  ;D
Actually, stealing would become more of a rare occurrence, since once the thief is caught in the act of sneaking or stealing, they are pretty much out of luck and cannot attempt to steal from the same person again for a while, since the person will be 'keeping an eye out for them.'

As for your pickpocket comment, if that is the case, then I think that when a character has a high enough combination of Sneak & Steal, the character animation for stealing should not be used. So a great pickpocket could be stealing, yet the character would appear to just be standing there, instead of fidgeting with their hands in one's pockets.
Of course, the successful chance to steal could be nerfed to compensate for this.
And either way, I believe one should be limited from just repeatedly attempting to steal from someone until they get lucky. Once they get caught, they would have to find a new target, at least for a while.

Also, I think it would be nice if eventually more ways for thief or any non-combat characters to gain experience are implemented.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:31:26 pm by Matej »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.765 seconds with 27 queries.