"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 10:04:59 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (PVE) Random crits are pointless  (Read 5222 times)

avv

(PVE) Random crits are pointless
« on: October 07, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

I've got a report about pve crits. First,here's some pics of me getting pwned by random encounters just to show what I'm talking about.

I've been hunting geckos, ghouls, weak humans and whatnot the past week. The combat mode was real time. It appears that among all the chaos of real time you can still micro yourself somewhat to gain advantage and defeat your npc enemy. It's allright as long as the enemies deal raw damage because then you can keep track on your hitpoints and use first aid, healing ingredients, kill the right target first or just flee.
However it seems that when it comes to crits, your personal microing skill no longer helps. Then it's just about good luck and lots of hitpoints. Worst crits are the ones that cause long knockouts (-20 ap) or massive 3x or 2x bypass damage. Sudden and random big damage impacts or long lasting immobility are both very bad features when it comes to pve (immobility is also bad pvp feature). That's because fighting pve is all about planning and predicting the most likely behaviour of your enemies. You can't plan that you get knocked out or die suddenly, neither can you adapt to the sudden impact because you're either dead or immobile. Fighting should always reward thinking and acting but crits are too unpredictable to expect and their result are sometimes impossible to adapt to.

Because of fear of random crits I simply decided to carry as little as possible, usually just a spear or knife and not even think about armors because of bypasses.
It's a solution, but retarded one since it's the exact opposite a smart wastelander would do: arm himself with the best gear available.

I don't support farming encounters for random crap or making npcs easier but I support the removal of exorbitant randomness when it comes to fighting them.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Re: (PVE) Random crits are pointless
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:51:30 pm »

you want things to not crit in pve? i fail to understand how that could be beneficial. seems to me like you're just bored of leveling solo... if you dont bring a wing man, those knockout/bypass criticals can be deadly.

the solution to this is not to nerf the system but to bring a friend... if you continually choose to go solo then that is one of the risks.

John Ryder

• Problem, Surf?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:02:35 pm »

I think that knockout crits should be removed for small critters as rats, pigrats etc. Come on, how getting bite in a toe can knock you out? The rest should stay as they are.
 - It's intended!
Typical FOnline roleplayers

avv

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:42:11 pm »

you want things to not crit in pve? i fail to understand how that could be beneficial. seems to me like you're just bored of leveling solo... if you dont bring a wing man, those knockout/bypass criticals can be deadly.

the solution to this is not to nerf the system but to bring a friend... if you continually choose to go solo then that is one of the risks.

I know a friend would help, but he probably doesn't want to hang around for dozens and dozens of encounters. Besides it's rather hard to co-operate in the chaotic real time combat. You can't shout for help if you're knocked out. Use mumble of irc? That's just not right because they are off-game programs 
But like I said, I already have a solution: don't carry anything expensive. It just depletes the gaming experience.

I'd rather tone down the crits so that they are more common and deal simply pure -  but lower damage or cause cripples. No long knockouts or 3x bypass damages. In addition armors should have bigger effect on crits.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:48:43 am »

you're first problem is that you are using a knife
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:47:29 am »

And trying it up against Tough Nightkin.  Armor or not you might as well just bend over.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:52 am »

The whole point of critical attacks are that they're unexpected.  That's what makes them critical.  Something can't critically harm you if you're prepared for it, you can't dodge, etc.  However, what's your luck?  Critical hits against you won't be as bad if your luck is higher.  They will still be critical, but not as bad.  A knockdown instead of a knockout, perhaps.
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:29 am »

I have 10 LK and 6 EN, molerats were knocking me out very often, they usually were dead before reach me, but... if they reach me, then it's knock downs after knock downs, or just knock out.
When I hunting junktown scouts, the first shot may knock out me, and then they starting to do with me what they are wish.
Crazies with scavenger skin are 100% all sniper builds, because they almost always crit with thier deagles and smgs, there're more crits than regular shots.
But Raiders and Regulators seems have bad LK, and they shoot me many times and I can't remember any critical shot at all, but it mostly because they, atleast Regulators, don't do aimed shots at all to players, while ghouls and JT scouts always aiming groin, head and eyes.
Well as avv already said, and I doing that myself... just don't carry anything valuable with you when hunting, all I take with me is a smg and some 10mm, that's all, because armor won't protect you against crits, and if it's not crit, then you don't even need an armor, because non-crit hits aren't so painful.
I don't have Stonewall perk, and it's really annoying when I have like 4 or 5 knock downs in a row, some rats may keep you on the same hex and even make you full APs negative by simply knocking you down many times in a row.
But it's just real life luck, and it's ok, even if they won't crit you, I don't see any reason to wear any armor while hunting anyway. Even against master army, bluesuit and smg is enough, especially if they have rocketlauncherer, who will help you to kill his friends. Plus death in bluesuiter with crappy smg, which is farmable at many encounters and you have 34857968 of them is nothing, but spending time to get from respawn point to your tent/base again.

avv

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:47 am »

The whole point of critical attacks are that they're unexpected.  That's what makes them critical.  Something can't critically harm you if you're prepared for it, you can't dodge, etc.  However, what's your luck?  Critical hits against you won't be as bad if your luck is higher.  They will still be critical, but not as bad.  A knockdown instead of a knockout, perhaps.

Sure they can be unexpected, but their outcome isn't rational in terms of enjoyable gameplay. You can always react to sudden loss of more health than expected or cripples but not immobolity or massive lethal damage. If you're immobile or dying, you can't react and adapt to the new situation. In combat the player should always be given a chance to adapt, react and think himself through problems. Until he really is dead ofcourse.

My luck is 6.

you're first problem is that you are using a knife

Doesn't honestly matter. You can gain only very limited advantage from ranged attack a gun provides in real time. After that it's just normal beating and banging and regenerating action points. Especially against humans who run as fast as you do.

And trying it up against Tough Nightkin.  Armor or not you might as well just bend over.

Actually I didn't even want to fight, just run. So I was basically doomed the moment I landed in that encounter.

I have 10 LK and 6 EN, molerats were knocking me out very often..

Thanks for new information Ravenous. I hadn't even thought about enemy's luck.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:22:22 pm »

I don't have Stonewall perk, and it's really annoying when I have like 4 or 5 knock downs in a row, some rats may keep you on the same hex and even make you full APs negative by simply knocking you down many times in a row.

If you find it annoying, the perk is there. Player's descision.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:20 pm »

With changing Stonewall perk to make it useful you also overpowered the basic knockdown/knockout chance, so you are being constantly knocked down/out if you don't have it?
Fail.

Or you didn't do anything to the tables?
Then not fail.

Critical hits against you won't be as bad if your luck is higher.
W00t

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

If you find it annoying, the perk is there. Player's descision.

Boost also quick recovery please! ;p
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 02:41:56 am »

Pretty sure your luck doesn't effect their critical chance.  Since their luck is not factored into our chance to crit them.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 02:51:42 am »

Pretty sure your luck doesn't effect their critical chance.  Since their luck is not factored into our chance to crit them.
True, only Endurance and perks do anythin about crits.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:05:00 am »

True, only Endurance and perks do anythin about crits.
Nope, both LK and EN affects crits on you.
EN protects you from being knocked down and out, and crippling limbs.
LK protects you from being blinded and instakilled.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 18 queries.