"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 16, 2024, 12:10:58 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Molotov Cocktail Afterburn  (Read 1899 times)

.WarChanges

• Billions of blue, blistering bluesuits!
Molotov Cocktail Afterburn
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

When I first started FOnline (which wasn't that long ago) I came across a merchant and I was eager to see the types of weapons on offer. I came across a Molotov Cocktail and I became instantly excited, everyone has a budding pyromaniac inside. Now I don't actually recall seeing a Molotov in Fallout 2 so I was eager to see the effect that such an item would have on an enemy.

It wasn't long until I got to test out my new little toy. A few minutes later i was surrounded by rats and I was smiling as I thought about what effect the infamous Molotov would have on them (do you like your rats toasted or fried?) I clicked the target and with a might swing of the arm my character hurled the flaming, petrol filled bottle into the air. It seemed to soar for ages and when it hit the ground it exploded...

It just exploded.

Now where is the fun in that? I expected to have a huge inferno engulf my enemies, or at least a small campfire... It was extremely anti climatic. I brushed off the 'old' Fallout 2 and decided to see whether Molotovs actually featured in it, yes they do. And they still have that awful effect.

What I propose is that Molotovs have some sort of burning after effect of the ground they hit. I know what your thinking... OVER POWERED much? But think about it. I believe it could be balanced (being a weapon that is sold for a little over 50 caps) by modifying the damage and the area effected. As for animating such a thing I'm not particuarly sure... Could possibly replaying the explosion animation over and over again suffice for a flame? Would do it for me! I think it would be feasible, I'm sure that Molotovs don't simply explode and disappear and even more sure that standing in the vicinity of a thrown molotv would cause a little bit of damage.

It may even add even more tactical elements to the game. Blocking the entrance to a building by chucking a molotov or creating a wall of fire to stop melee fighters (or those pesky thieves). I suppose the problem is that they would be easily spammable, but that can be solved by decresing the area of effect or modifying the damage.

I suppose another issue is the transistion between Real Time and Turn Based. I'm no programmer but considering FOnline uses a completely different engine, would it be possible to make the Molotovs burn for say 5 turns in Turn Based and then 15 or so seconds in Real Time?

It may not be actually be possible to implemented but if it could it would be a nice design feature and a variation between the startling similar thrown explosives (sometimes it feels like Interplay didn't focus as much on the explosives as much as they did with the fanatastically designed Big Guns).

So what do you think?

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Re: Molotov Cocktail Afterburn
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:25 am »

I haven't used molotovs in forever, but they need splash damage if they don't have it already. And I'm sure there's some kind of fire animation that could be scavenged and expanded to cover several tiles. About continuing to burn, it sounds good, but what about the differences in TB and RT? Would they burn for x seconds in RT and y turns in RT? That's the only issue I can see with this.

.WarChanges

• Billions of blue, blistering bluesuits!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 09:31:01 am »

Yeah the difference between RT and TB is the only issue that I could see. But I have absolutely zero skills in programming...

Mabye it could be calculated through analysing the amount of AP for attacks?

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:16 pm »

This was already suggested by Roacher.

Devs said they couldn't do it.  :(
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:00:04 pm »

Devs said they couldn't do it.  :(

Not exactly... It might still be possible.
It wasn't possible back then. I don't know if it is now.

But even if it isn't, it is still just a suggestion. One day, it would still be possible to change the engine or whatever it is that prevents them from changing it to Fire-damage weapon. I mean, anything is possible if you work hard enough to change it, right?
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 10:12:43 pm »

Just chance pyromaniac perk to give additional 15% critical chance and 15 roll and stack with better criticals.
So molotovs will be used as critical grenadiers, and flamers will be more useful as critical BGers.
Don't need that boring noone need damage over time.
Also I think it's possible to add aditional variable like poisoned and radiated.
Make this variable hidden and work in the same way like poison but faster.

Cultist

• The face of God with an impostor's features
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 11:02:32 pm »

This was already suggested by Roacher.

Devs said they couldn't do it.  :(

Roachor said they should be fire damage and not explosive so that pyromaniac would give it a boost.
The pervert, the pathological, the prophet
I'm the second coming, the Anti-Christ, the final conflict
Who got nuclear weapons and a suicidal doctrine?
The cult leader, and I'll never stop until I got you locked in

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

Roachor said they should be fire damage and not explosive so that pyromaniac would give it a boost.
I believe Lexx meant that aswell although I was specifically pointing at AfterBurn Damage.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 18 queries.