"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:58:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Actions shouldn't launch instantly in RT  (Read 2052 times)

avv

Actions shouldn't launch instantly in RT
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:13 pm »

Don't you think it's rather silly that your well-aimed sniper shot is launcher instantly when you decide the target. After this you spend ~7 aps because it takes long to "aim". The way I see it, you should first wait for the action points to charge up in 7 aps and then you fire.

So I suggest that when you enter in combat mode or start moving, your action points will be zero. Everyone must first collect the action points before they can perform an attack. The weapons could vary, for example a minigun and flamer could start shooting at 2 aps and spend the remaining 5 aps firing the gun. So that your dude actually shoots the minigun for the time it takes to generate 5 aps and does damage all the time.

This would make combat much more interesting because right now it's just about having lots of aps to be able to cause as much damage as possible in the beginning of the encounter.

Basically this way combat would have much more dimensions and potential for more interesting options in future. For example a player could launch the attack even when it was charging, but it would be delivered with worse accuracy.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
Re: Actions shouldn't launch instantly in RT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »

This would made the game horibly slow I think. Also, what if your target go out of range before the end of ap regen for your weapon? Something that need less AP could just go out, shot, and go in without any risk.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

avv

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »

This would made the game horibly slow I think. Also, what if your target go out of range before the end of ap regen for your weapon? Something that need less AP could just go out, shot, and go in without any risk.

You must mean sniper shots, well you don't just get to shoot anyone in the head with sniper if he sees you aiming him. Better aim somewhere less ap demanding area. Besides you could be able to release the shot any time but with less accuracy. That would demonstrate a hazy aiming. To get perfect shots snipers would have to resort to stealth and flanking. And I don't mean goddamn pressing sneak button and being invisible but unexpected firing angles and situational awerness.

First of all, aps could regen faster. They regen too slowly even now, especially for low agi builds which is unfair. Everyone should be able to prepare aiming at direction they choose. You just select a prepare aim action and choose a direction, you spend the aps required to aim with that and anyone who crosses into that chosen direction gets shot faster because you already spent the aps to aim. Differend guns could have varying size of aiming sector. Snipers would have narrow aiming sector because it is scoped, shotgun had wider but less range of course.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »

great suggestions, it would make combat much more interesting and realistic

+1

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:52:56 pm »

Don't know. It seems pretty lame - you want to make a shot to a thief but you have to wait 4 seconds because of this system. I don't really want it.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

avv

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »

Don't know. It seems pretty lame - you want to make a shot to a thief but you have to wait 4 seconds because of this system. I don't really want it.

This system would make whole combat much more interesting and all you care about is shooting thieves? Besides, I already said that you could launch it any time with less accuracy. From point blank range most guns would hit anyway.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »

I see nothing interesting in that snipers have to wait 7 seconds, while bigguners in these 7 seconds can run up to you and burst you in point blank. Still not want.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »

I like this idea a lot.
I would just change that, while moving your AP don't regenerate, when started walking the AP you had is cut to half, when started running, it is cut to 0...

This would make many tactical opportunities, not like now where it is still best to run all the time, and walk is good just for the looks.

About speed of AP regeneration, it should vary according to your total AP amount, but not as much as now.
It would need careful balancing so that 12 AP BRoF guy with P90 just doesn't pwn all...

Haraldx: the BGers would then have to wait few seconds too to burst you then, when they come in front of you.
Anyway it shuldn't be 7 seconds, but like 2 max.

avv

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »

I see nothing interesting in that snipers have to wait 7 seconds, while bigguners in these 7 seconds can run up to you and burst you in point blank. Still not want.

I stated that aps should regen faster. I also stated that players could be able to prepare their aim at chosen direction, that way they wouldn't have to wait as long because they are already pointing the gun at enemy's direction when he enters your line of aiming.

So if the system worked perfectly, the big gunner would be shot almost instantly when he enters your prepared aiming sector. If he ran next to you, he'd have to wait for a while. You could even change weapons to shotgun if you know he's dumb enough to come close. If you always compare new suggestions to current settings we'd never get anything done because some current broken setting is going to ruin it anyway.

I would just change that, while moving your AP don't regenerate, when started walking the AP you had is cut to half, when started running, it is cut to 0...

Yeh the fact that you have already some aps when walking would make sense, because it would demonstrate the better alertness your character has. If you run, you don't necessarily notice things as perfectly and running person can't just instantly stop and deploy his sights on the enemy.

About speed of AP regeneration, it should vary according to your total AP amount, but not as much as now.
It would need careful balancing so that 12 AP BRoF guy with P90 just doesn't pwn all...

You know I'd make it dependent on gun type. For example when charging aps for big guns, your strength would be the one that decides how fast you shoot. When shooting long ranged shots, the modifier would be PE. Close-medium ranged shots with small guns would be dependent on AGI. STR could always have a little meaning when it comes to aiming, because honestly - if you're strong dude, handling guns is much easier. Assault rifle weights around 3kg, but if you hold it in stressful aiming position for 5 mins it really starts to weight.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:31 pm »

Apart of my opinion of that idea, it would need a whole lot of a balancing, hell of a lot. Total overhaul like that would take weeks. The effort should better be spent on adding some content into the game, pvp is relatively balanced right now.

avv

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »

pvp is relatively balanced right now.

Balanced for powerbuilds.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 01:40:49 pm »

Balanced for powerbuilds.
No, the answer is balanced. What does it mean "balanced for powerbuilds"? Ofcourse the powerbuilds have better chances to win against ordinary builds.

avv

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »

No, the answer is balanced. What does it mean "balanced for powerbuilds"? Ofcourse the powerbuilds have better chances to win against ordinary builds.

Not every char who pvps is powerbuild. Just because someone picked certain perks, stats and skills he doesn't deserve instant victory over another player. This is because making a powerbuild doesn't take cleverness or particular skill so the creator doesn't deserve achievements which are normally received with cleverness in  games. And by these achievements I mean victory over another player.

But balanced or not, this system would make combat more interesting nonetheless.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.