"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 16, 2024, 01:06:21 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: 2238 is simulator of waiting  (Read 31710 times)

Re: 2238 is simulator of waiting
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

Wow, this thread is weird as hell.

First it started from critic, that there are too many cooldowns on everything, and traveling on map is way to slow.
Then people started to whine about everything else (including weapon nerfs/buffs)
Then they started to criticize eachother for type of gaming they like
Then it started useless disscussion about RP...

And all I have to say is: Traveling on world map is way too slow and it has nothing to do with RolePlay nor with anything else. Its just pure annoying stuff. Also some of cooldowns could be changed/deleted.
- crafting/gathering CD should stack up to 40 minutes
- No cooldowns for repair/dissassemble
- More kinds of loot from NPCs (not too much. Just Xander root/Gunpowde etc. from time to time. It would have to be rather rare, so people wouldnt go just farming)
- Farming should give you MUCH LESS items than crafting. Right now if you want to save your time, you just go and farm on caravans. Crafting is too much time consuming if you compare it to farming.
- All of above should have reasonable proportions. You should get stuff not so fast, and not too slow. Basic stuff (leather jackets, lame pistol & basic ammo) should be fairly easy to get, but more advanced stuff (Metal Armors, Some better guns) should be provided MOSTLY by skilled crafters.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:45:13 pm by Kirkor »
 Guitar Hero: Fallout
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:51 pm »

And all I have to say is: Traveling on world map is way too slow and it has nothing to do with RolePlay nor with anything else. Its just pure annoying stuff.

Maybe it should make cars usable. Vith car travelling is quiet fast and confortable even for PvP character. And u can have 10 brahmin hides in your trunk to park safely anywhere or some tents around cities.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

Maybe it should make cars usable. Vith car travelling is quiet fast and confortable even for PvP character. And u can have 10 brahmin hides in your trunk to park safely anywhere or some tents around cities.

Agree with that.

Now the map is much bigger than before (thanks to the slow down of walking speed).
And the cars really make sense now.

If you have difficulty to buy a car, I suggest you two things:
- try the train (you can do some carrying work at the Hub for instance to earn your 200 caps and buy a ticket).
- try to find some taxi cab ( I know some wastelanders do that kind of job for a small amount of caps/items)
TTTLA for a New World Order

« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »

Agree with that.

Now the map is much bigger than before (thanks to the slow down of walking speed).
And the cars really make sense now.

If you have difficulty to buy a car, I suggest you two things:
- try the train (you can do some carrying work at the Hub for instance to earn your 200 caps and buy a ticket).
- try to find some taxi cab ( I know some wastelanders do that kind of job for a small amount of caps/items)

Well, you know, for newcommers it's hard to get these 'few caps' at the beggining. And in Fallout Universe there wasnt much cars (in FO2 there was only ONE car which was a big event when you came first time to each city. In New Reno they stole it. In NCR guy wanted to guard your car etc.)

So cars are quite expensive for someone who don't know much about FOnline. Its realy big deal for someone, who don't even know how to earn money or have own tent. It would be different case, if in each city were plenty of quests, so you wouldn't have to travel so often.

So travel speed should be increased imo. And cars should be luxury for rich then.
Oh, and car should be LUXURY not NEED-TO-BUY-OR-DIE-OF-BOREDOM.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:09:48 pm by Kirkor »
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

Uh hello! It seems that I found out about Fonline at worst possible moment. I'm new player and I don't know how much will my opinion matter but I'll leave a few lines here anyway  ;) I've read some tutorials on how to begin but none of them dealt with level of frustration this game can cause to a new player.

Cooldowns, slowass travel system and fool loot don't go hand in hand really well IMO. I can afford precious few hours a day to play the game but when I have to spend that time dieing, starting from zero, traveling, dieing again in endless loop I think to myself WTF am I doing. The only thing that keeps me around is love for fallout, but then I log in and see a big sign "Masochistic Paradise" written all over.

Here's something that doesn't need extensive Fonline experience, just a touch of common sense. First thing devs should ask themselves is: "What part of waiting and trillion of cooldowns make the game fun?" and start developing from there. No hints required, I hope.

Peace
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »

Uh hello! It seems that I found out about Fonline at worst possible moment. I'm new player and I don't know how much will my opinion matter but I'll leave a few lines here anyway  ;) I've read some tutorials on how to begin but none of them dealt with level of frustration this game can cause to a new player.

Cooldowns, slowass travel system and fool loot don't go hand in hand really well IMO. I can afford precious few hours a day to play the game but when I have to spend that time dieing, starting from zero, traveling, dieing again in endless loop I think to myself WTF am I doing. The only thing that keeps me around is love for fallout, but then I log in and see a big sign "Masochistic Paradise" written all over.

Here's something that doesn't need extensive Fonline experience, just a touch of common sense. First thing devs should ask themselves is: "What part of waiting and trillion of cooldowns make the game fun?" and start developing from there. No hints required, I hope.

Peace

you found fonline at a time when new players have it easier than ever. a hardcore full loot game is not for everyone, and that is why there are no full loot mmorpgs with commercial success besides eve.

its a very hard game and losing everything you own frequently is how you learn to hold onto your shit in the end. you should ideally be trading your belongings for NPC kills so that you can slowly level up.. but chances are, you're not, you're getting wrecked by pk's and dumb encounters.

as a new player you can go kill a centaur for 1000 XP by level 6. use a laser pistol and aim for the eyes, hope you get an instakill. this wipe i killed centaurs and floaters with bullets from level 4+ in the boneyard, and made 21 in record time. (2.5 days)

some people can level faster but they also dedicate 8 hours a day into playing.

your biggest problem, right now, i can assure you, is that you're in a bad area for new players. the areas with lots of players should be avoided until you can defend yourself and your belongings. there are literally thousands of encounters across the whole map. they are seperated by the squares.

get yourself 10 hides. make sure to craft BB ammo for vendor trading loot. then, find a good square where you don't think players are going to be... and kill. kill, kill, kill. when you get bored, take some mediocre gear to NCR and chat it up for a bit before you get robbed, bombed, or both at the same time. when you get bored of THAT, level up some more, or take your gear and start looking for other new players.

show them just how hard fallout can be.

if you don't have a PK mindset, then this game doesn't have much for you, yet. many non-PK-oriented players do thrive and survive in the harsh wasteland, however, they came to terms with the loss of items a long time ago.

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2010, 03:14:24 am »

im mexican
i waste 2hours of my life, dying,dying and...dying. ¿why? for PK, for rats, for NPCs, for my assoles friends making bursts.
after a waste 8 hours of my life clicking on the map, cliking on loot, cliking on death people and cliking for craft.
after i waste 6 hours of my life waiting for respaw, for fisrst aid, for weakened, for craft, and for peeing.

and one day, being level21, i found a guy, an i say "hi" and he say "hi im new in the game, and i try to find some brhmin hides" and i know how he is suffering,
AND I KILL HIM
this is fallout
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:16:27 am by Reiniat »
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2010, 10:07:16 am »

if you don't have a PK mindset, then this game doesn't have much for you, yet. many non-PK-oriented players do thrive and survive in the harsh wasteland, however, they came to terms with the loss of items a long time ago.

Oh it's not a mindset I have problems with.

I don't mind killing or getting killed, it's those dumb cooldowns that make me pull my hair out. Why why ffs why do I have a cooldown even when I fart in game? How is waiting fun? How is this a "right move" for game with 150-ish population?

I also don't mind full loot if I can quickly gear up and get back to business as usual. But that's not the case.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:33 pm »

Oh it's not a mindset I have problems with.

I don't mind killing or getting killed, it's those dumb cooldowns that make me pull my hair out. Why why ffs why do I have a cooldown even when I fart in game? How is waiting fun? How is this a "right move" for game with 150-ish population?

I also don't mind full loot if I can quickly gear up and get back to business as usual. But that's not the case.

Because it's meant to stop the flood of equipment coming into the world.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

John Ryder

• Problem, Surf?
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »

Yes it stops flood. For the first month after wipe. After that, people have carpets made out of miniguns and whatnot. So there is no point in cooldowns as flood of items will happen anyway.
 - It's intended!
Typical FOnline roleplayers

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2010, 04:15:35 pm »

worked very good...

Why not make it much harder to get items, but stay away from cooldown. so the actual playtime is spend on getting the items you need to craft / acquiring the desired item instead of waiting or doin the so called "alternative gameplay options" if i want to make ammo nonstop i should be able to do ammo nonstop and not beeing forced to do something else or wait.

TheGreenHand

• TGHGWC
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »

You guys realize the CD represents the time it'd take to actually craft the items.  And it's probably low, even with converting to in game time.  Crafting 50 bullets in an hour?  (or 7-15 real minutes?)  That'd be difficult.
Maybe instead of cooldowns you'd rather have a progress bar.  "Combat Armor is: 20% complete, come back in 56 minutes to resume gameplay, or cancel."
I think the cooldowns work fine.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04:21 pm »

Yes, I don't see the need to whine about cooldowns anymore. In fact, I expect we will relax them even further, yet the flood of equipment will be less than now.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2010, 07:06:51 pm »

Yes, I don't see the need to whine about cooldowns anymore. In fact, I expect we will relax them even further, yet the flood of equipment will be less than now.
Flood of equipment is NOT from crafting. It's from farming, which is better, less time consuming and more fun way to get items.

IMHO there should be no cooldowns, BUT crafting should be made this way, that you just can't bring 100000 HQ in no time. Maybe those mats would be much heavier, so you would have to take like 2-3 HQ at a time (that is if you are strong)... Or something. At least it would decrease amount of mining alts and other bullshit.
I would just prefer it to be 'real time' consuming, not just stupid timer (but then it shouldn't be overdone. Not TOO MUCH of time consuming, coz then it would be even more pain in the ass ;p )

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »

No crafting cooldowns, no gathering cooldowns, but mines with (hq res) should be full of respawning critters (depends on quality of materials).
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.