Author Topic: FOnline SDK - Question  (Read 147957 times)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: FOnline SDK - Question
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2012, 10:31:47 am »
The outcome of your work is the thing that counts, not the tools you use, my master.

So that means yes, I'll guess, my minion.

Well, if you like to do a million useless clicks and stuff, go for it. I am using the thing since 4 or so years and it's one of the most basic and rough mapping tools I've touched since ever. Doesn't matter if you can work with it or not, when it comes to usability, the thing just sucks.

JovankaB

« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2012, 10:51:43 am »
What counts in case of creative tools is the time you need to get shit done.

Mapper doesn't help here a little bit except maybe that it has crude copy/paste.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:58:39 am by JovankaB »

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:43 am »
The real problem is that there is almost no tutorials for mapper or good how-to-make-a-map guides.

That's pretty much true and the current ones are outdated. But to be honest it's not so hard to use it took me about 1 hour or so to get the hang of it. I started easy by modifying the available maps. Maybe added some NPC's of my own or something. Easyer than that it can't be. I think the creator of mapper wanted for it to be much like the one Black Isle made for Fallout 2, you know to make it have that falloutish feeling of the good ol' times.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:05:47 am by Gob »

JovankaB

« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:50 am »
Falloutish feeling in editors?  ::)

I think the reason why original commercial game development teams often have crappy editors is because it may take more
time to make a good one than finish maps with what they have before game release.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »
The only reason why the mapper has a "falloutish feeling" is because I've edited the interface long time ago and made it resemble the BIS mapper a little bit (so I would get used to the switch over easier). Other than that, the two programs are quite different.

« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »
So that means yes, I'll guess, my minion.
Sorry to disappoint you, mister, by your guess is wrong. I've got my own tools for mapper and it still doesn't have anything to rewriting the whole thing. Better to make maps than waste that time on reinventing the wheel.

Quote from: JovankaB
What counts in case of creative tools is the time you need to get shit done.
SDK mapper is quite time efficient if you got used to it.

Quote from: Lexx
Well, if you like to do a million useless clicks and stuff, go for it. I am using the thing since 4 or so years and it's one of the most basic and rough mapping tools I've touched since ever. Doesn't matter if you can work with it or not, when it comes to usability, the thing just sucks.
It sucks for you, it doesn't for me. Ever heard about opinions?

As always, I admire your vast knowledge on the subject and infinite experience.

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »
Mapper is fine as it is.

EOT.  :)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »
SDK mapper is quite time efficient if you got used to it.

If you use copy&paste. A lot. Besides, I never stated that the tool must be rewritten or something.

Ever heard about opinions?

No, please tell me everything about it.

Man, I almost forgot what a douche you are. Thanks for reminding me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:27:42 pm by Lexx »

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:49 am »
The only reason why the mapper has a "falloutish feeling" is because I've edited the interface long time ago and made it resemble the BIS mapper a little bit (so I would get used to the switch over easier). Other than that, the two programs are quite different.

Falloutish feeling in editors?  ::)

It was a joke  :P

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilema here. I don't understand how calculate the position of the buttons in the main menu. I'm trying to make an interface of my own for my client and I want the buttons to be in the top right corner and the login box in the middle. Can someone explain to me how it's done?

JovankaB

« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »
Ok, I'm in a bit of a dilema here. I don't understand how calculate the position of the buttons in the main menu. I'm trying to make an interface of my own for my client and I want the buttons to be in the top right corner and the login box in the middle. Can someone explain to me how it's done?

Interface is defined in Client\data\art\intrface\default.ini

Unfortunately it is a bit tricky, there is no WYSIWYG tool for this, so you have to position elements by editing ini file.
And descriptions in the file are in Russian, as usually with FOnline.

To edit main menu, check out variables that start with "Log", they should be near the top of the file.

For example when you have something like this:
LogName                = 80  141 225 158
It's login box. First 2 numbers is (x,y) of top-left corner and 2 last numbers are (x,y) of bottom-right corner.
This is not graphics, it's only invisible object that you can click and type there. Graphics is one background image.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:13:56 pm by JovankaB »

Offline Gob

• The Good
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
Thanks for the help JovankaB  ;)

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »
There's also attempt for english interface documentation - WIP as hell, but it's still worth to link (in case some deadly bored modder check this thread :>)
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:22 pm »
[...]In fact, simple parser can be done just for practice, without deep knowledge about chosen language. Displaying given object graphic isn't much of a problem too (many .frm loaders around, (including this one ;p)), so all you has to do is stick to the current format.

Slightly off topic, but your description makes this sound almost simple - is it feasible that someone could make some kind of really basic "model checker" thing? Something to put one of our 3D test models in a tiny scene, but with the engine lighting etc, next to a 2D comparison sprite, then with the ability to reload / refresh textures?

I imagine it's a little more complex than it sounds by this description - but if it really is a fairly easy little process, this would help a lot with testing the 3D stuff.

To be honest, even a "refresh texture" command in the main game would be a massive benefit.

« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
i have a few questions on sdk.
1. How do i make npc's run in real time combat  .
2. how do i prevent roll back.
3.how do i make enemies i want hostile.