"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 03, 2024, 03:09:23 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Methods to encourage people not to make alts for everything  (Read 1409 times)

Methods to encourage people not to make alts for everything
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »

Trading alts:
Remove the 1ch thing from traders
If you want to restrict some traders just make it so you for example can't talk with them if you have -1 (or lower) reputation with their faction
I was sort of expecting something like this:

I'm against removing the CH trade limit. if you have 1 CH than you're a mutant freak without the stat boost. you're one of the ugliest things in the game.

Well.. the idea RP wise isn't bad, but this is also an online game, so people will just make a char lvl 1, share a tent or base and use it for trade, and nothing good comes out of the 1ch limit

Maybe making so 1ch get targeted on NPC encounters more often, even if not that player doesn't have bad rep with the faction

It would add some challenge to the 1ch players but wouldn't force them to alt just for trading

Crafting:
Main reason is that you need high science and repair, and brings no improvements to combat, so maybe making the weapons of that profession det much slower (since your character knows how they work better) or a small increase (5% ?) on the chance to hit

Ofc there will always be alts, blablabla spare me the copy paste type replies.

The point is, people focus on combat, making professions give a small boost on combat makes people re-think it
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:54:14 pm by drypoothe »
Re: Methods to encourage people not to make alts for everything
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:57:34 pm »

crafting system will be changed soon to only level 2 professions and blueprints for lvl 3 so that will be a big improvement, then crafter can spent skillpoints on fighting skills plus have 2 full professions on one char. i think this will limit alting alot. agreed with you on the charisma and trading thing, i allready made a suggestion on it but i doubt we will see this ingame.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »

The problem is you cant really pack everything on to one character. if you want to lower alting than make an account system and check the IP's. for people switching accounts. to use two different sets of characters.

I'm against removing the CH trade limit. if you have 1 CH than you're a mutant freak without the stat boost. you're one of the ugliest things in the game.

As for having crafting prof's give you a stat boost when you buy them. that could work i think. if limited.

-Ulrek-
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »

... if you want to lower alting than make an account system and check the IP's. for people switching accounts...
-Ulrek-

they allready do this, thats why you have to wait 10 minutes before u can relog with ur other chars, but the problem is its very easy to change your ip address, you just need to switch your router off and on.

avv

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »

It's been hinted by a dev that fitting profesions and pvp capabilities under the belt of one char will be made easier, thus hopefully reducing alting. It's not clear whether this change will take place in the next wipe however.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »

from what i understand alting, even with the anti alt improvements, will still be a much better option, because how can a hybrid combat/crafter hope to defeat a full on psychopath character in this game in the first place?  The psychopath has EVERYTHING put in combat whereas the combat/crafter has to spread his skillpoints/perks out in different direction.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:51:04 pm »

The idea RP wise isn't bad, but this is also an online game, so people will just make a char lvl 1, share a tent or base and use it for trade, and nothing good comes out of the 1ch limit

Maybe making so 1ch get targeted on NPC encounters more often, even if not that player doesn't have bad rep with the faction

It would add some challenge to the 1ch players but wouldn't force them to alt just for trading
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:53:26 pm by drypoothe »

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:55 pm »

To trade you can make alt with 10 CH and tagged Barter + Outdoorsman. High ST would be useful too.

And that's how it works, no-one would crawl around Wasteland to find a vendor that supports 1 CH chars. Even if, this vendor would keep bunch of radios and some crap only, I can bet that.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:38 pm »

Well, the 3 Charisma thing, i asume was to make the Charisma stat usefull and make people not to put CHA 1 on every char. Although i am not entire sure this was the case (i am just guessing simply). Anyways, becouse the Charisma didint affect combat, the combat chars still make (ofc) 1 CH combat chars, and the one char players are weak in comparence.

If there was a way to make CHA work in combat too. Maybe make Charisma give few HP per level, i mean, low charisma could mean deformations right? +2 EN per 3 charisma or something (EN cant go over 10 this way), well an alternative.  ::)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:34:11 am »

XP going down by doing the same thing again. 1st brahmin 80xp 2nd brahmin 70 xp 3rd brahmin 60xp after 8 : 10 xp
Double the number of xp you need to do next level : lvl 2 1000 xp  lvl 3 2000 xp lvl 4 4000 xp lvl5 8000 xp
Or skip the level cap : So the character get hard to level up, and you make less characters.
Get a special random (not chosen) bonus, every 500 000 xp point. (so you will still want to get xp with the same character. (could be a lvl3 weapon, a perk, a skill point, more hp. anyway, you don't choose it)

Make new upgrade that would prevent abuse of lvl1 char :
5 magnetic personality perks, so your upgraded leader will be better than lvl1 leader. (8 mercenaries instead of 4) (same thing exist with AP, HP, skill point, carry weight, why not charisma ?)
Need to increase science and outdoorsman to make a tent. (let's say 60%) So, you character has to level up in order to build a tent. The tent would also disapear, if the one who built it doesn't go in regularly. (and not just someone)
Need to be level 10 to be a faction member, whatever if the faction is player-driven or npc-driven. (so these alt have to be levelled, to take advantage of the faction)
Your armor and weapons would have a far lower deteration rate if you have science and repair (passive skill). Or, in the opposite, if you haven't, your weapon could go beyond repair, at any moment. (at every critical miss, like a jinxed) With your crafter, you're not a better fighter, but you are sure to keep your weapon more than 10 minutes.
With a low charisma, you're more likely to be targeted by npc (that can choose between you and other ennemies). And you have more chance to get collateral damage. (ooops, or zone damage) Yeah, your friend can love you, but, not much. They don't care if they shoot you.
With an high charisma, you can hit some npc, having a chance of not getting hit back.

Others character requirements could be made in order to prevent abuse of lvl 1 alts.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:41:10 am by naossano »

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:53:55 am »

"How to make game real pain in the arse in few steps".
XP going down by doing the same thing again. 1st brahmin 80xp 2nd brahmin 70 xp 3rd brahmin 60xp after 8 : 10 xp
It was tested already, called XP dimishing. As always only no-lifers didn't notice the difference, and as always people wanted to get XP in normal way.
Double the number of xp you need to do next level : lvl 2 1000 xp  lvl 3 2000 xp lvl 4 4000 xp lvl5 8000 xp
Or skip the level cap : So the character get hard to level up, and you make less characters.
Combined with previous idea this would cause more time required to level up your char, nothing more.

Removing level cap was suggested already many times, answer was always "no". It could get rid of some alts, true.
Get a special random (not chosen) bonus, every 500 000 xp point. (so you will still want to get xp with the same character. (could be a lvl3 weapon, a perk, a skill point, more hp. anyway, you don't choose it)
Cool, let's get random perks, SPECIAL bonuses or items.

Besides how do you imagine getting 500k xp with "your" system? In a year of real time?
Make new upgrade that would prevent abuse of lvl1 char :
5 magnetic personality perks, so your upgraded leader will be better than lvl1 leader. (8 mercenaries instead of 4) (same thing exist with AP, HP, skill point, carry weight, why not charisma ?)
There is no such thing as 1 lvl leader, because that kind of char has too low Outdoorsman skill.

I may be wrong, but I think you have no idea how mercenaries feature works, you've just seen or heard about bad guys with muties.
Need to increase science and outdoorsman to make a tent. (let's say 60%) So, you character has to level up in order to build a tent. The tent would also disapear, if the one who built it doesn't go in regularly. (and not just someone)
Awesome, let's disable tents for new players or any chars other than crafters.
Need to be level 10 to be a faction member, whatever if the faction is player-driven or npc-driven. (so these alt have to be levelled, to take advantage of the faction)
So if player makes another char and wants him to play with buddies, he needs to wander around alone? Makes no sense.
Your armor and weapons would have a far lower deteration rate if you have science and repair (passive skill). Or, in the opposite, if you haven't, your weapon could go beyond repair, at any moment. (at every critical miss, like a jinxed) With your crafter, you're not a better fighter, but you are sure to keep your weapon more than 10 minutes.
We need to stick with Melee then, this is the last weapon kind that doesn't deteriorate. Yet.
Besides this will make more alts to repair guns used by combat chars. You don't expect anyone will put a single point in Repair/Science at combat char, do you?
With a low charisma, you're more likely to be targeted by npc (that can choose between you and other ennemies). And you have more chance to get collateral damage. (ooops, or zone damage) Yeah, your friend can love you, but, not much. They don't care if they shoot you.
With an high charisma, you can hit some npc, having a chance of not getting hit back.
So "merc leader" will always win, because such char has high CH anyway.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:37:38 pm »

These suggestions don't necessary needs to be cumulated. These are propositions.

(the double xp requirement would replace the xp dimishing, or the special bonus every 500 k xp for instance) (or less than 500 k)

The very fast deteration rate for non crafter will make them unable to do a long fight. He couldn't wait to go back in his base to repair his weapon. If he is crafter, he would have a low rate of deterioration.

The idea of the leader is to put a large difference between the level 1 leader, created just to had 4 more mercenaries in the battleground and the leader who had level up, and would be stronger. So he won't have most of his efficiency at his first level. (he could, also share perk with his mercenaries, as long they are with him, so, a char with perk would have better mercenaries, than a lvl 1 leader, or than mercenaries just guarding)

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.