"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:56:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Account handling for new characters, respawns  (Read 1238 times)

Account handling for new characters, respawns
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

Hi, I'm new and just learning the ropes. I this has been discussed before my apologies, I missed it during my quick search.

Since I'm a little bit older I'm less keen on powerbuilds and trying to create an RP-able, self sufficient character. This is not always easy and I learned pretty fast I did things wrong the first time, thus had to create a new char better equipped for my play style. I don't think I'm the first one to have been there.

The situation therefore is, I have an alt on the server even though I don't want one and have abandoned it. I understand a character account is currently deleted after 60 days of not having logged in. As I see hacking is rampant on the server, I wonder if someone could be able to steal the account while it's unused.

For purposes of this suggestion, no character lacking a tent can effectively store his or her goods. Thus any character lacking a tent could be considered a "new character".
What I would like to propose is, the flushing period for new characters could be reduced to, say, 1 or 2 weeks of unlogged time. In a similar sense we could have protection extended beyond 2 months for those players, who are willing to attach their characters to their forum profile.

It might be even better to have a user-operable delete button for FOnline start screen for those, who are not satisfied with their character and wish to start over - you could try out, say, five different builds until you see what works and what doesn't in the game world. Consider IP-based filtering (and logging?) with a 1-day cooldown period for new accounts unless the former account goes through a deletion process. This might promote creating more functional characters, and keep less spammed alt accounts on the server due to, say, people creating a suicide bomber after another in order to destroy a certain roleplay project.

There has been some discussion about random respawns, and I do concur it's a scary place to find yourself in Boneyard with a 1-level character and no possessions :) Perhaps character level could dictate the location of respawns, for example level 1-5 would respawn only near guarded cities and the locations would expand from there, as you level up.

Summary of suggestions:

a) Accelerate new character deletion
b) Users can delete their accounts
c) Account creation moderated through IP monitoring
d) Respawn locations limited per character level

PS. I'd like to clarify this is not a discussion on whether having alts is approvable or not, and I hope no flame wars start around that specific topic :)

gordulan

• General Animosity
Re: Account handling for new characters, respawns
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »

Just use the current command to delete a character if you need to delete him/her/it...

~deleteself [password]

Ex:

~deleteself D0omL4rd

good luck hacking my accounts dear casual observers, I dare you to try and use this password on them

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:38:42 pm »

~deleteself password

Fixed, you must do it without brackets.

IP-based filtering just wouldn't work, as stated in multiple other topics, but a "flushing period" for level 1-2 characters that haven't been used in two weeks sounds good, actually.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

Fixed, you must do it without brackets.

IP-based filtering just wouldn't work, as stated in multiple other topics, but a "flushing period" for level 1-2 characters that haven't been used in two weeks sounds good, actually.

Tents are destroyed when they're not used for 1 month.
Why not do the same for level 1-3 characters?
Make it 6-8 weeks for other characters.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.