"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 20, 2024, 07:57:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Future of Stealing  (Read 12525 times)

Future of Stealing
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

Are there any plans in the future to add negative effects to playing a thief alt?

I got so annoyed at thieves in NCR that I started sitting around the merchant with a 10mm SMG in my offhand and healing powders in my inventory as bait. It was fun for awhile, hopefully I deterred a few players from continuing their thief builds. Then it got kind of frustrating... I slowly came to the realization that it doesn't matter. No matter how many I shot they didn't lose anything other than 2 minutes of their time to get back to town and start again, avoiding me this time.

Here are some ideas:

Autopush: You tag someone as a thief and your character automatically shoves them away when they get to close.

Guards: Should shoot thieves, it's nice that the guard told that unarmed level 2 player that the level 21 player just stole from them, but he or she has no chance of stopping them so it was kind of pointless.

Guards: Should also point out returning thieves who are still unprotected "Didn't expect to see you around here so soon, playername. You better leave while you still can."

Ban from town: If you are killed while unprotected you are banned from that city for one full in game day. If you do decide to come to town the guards will tell you to leave and will shoot you in 30 seconds. You are also unprotected from other players, so you can't run into town, steal and run back out again.

Billboard list of unprotected people: And a reward of 50 caps for killing an unprotected person, this would only work if the above option was implemented otherwise people would use it to farm caps (despite their being easier legitimate ways to get caps)

Shopowners: "GET OUT OF MY STORE, THIEF!" in big red writing would be awesome, why should the thief be allowed to hang around shops freely while other people have to wait? Surely the shopowner must get annoyed that his clients are being scared away or robbed by all the loiterers in his store.

I am aware of other towns in the game. But if this game ever becomes popular the thief problem will be spread to every town and not just NCR.

If steal is being changed in the next update then woo and yay you can ignore this thread.

edit: just clarified a few of the ideas
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:50:23 pm by smoothjesus »
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.
Re: Future of Stealing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:13:36 pm »

You seem to underestimate how annoying the life from a thief is, we tend to fail stealing a single cap with even 300% steal, and really, we spawn at Klamath more often than you think. these days no one carries good items in NCR anyway we barely make any profit, and get shot often. and there is the problem that it takes ages to actually level your thief character.

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

Stealing shouldn't be so hard and shouldn't be so easy.
It's just next way to get some money in post-apocalyptic world.
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Janusz2238

• forum.newfmc.pl
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »

It shouldn't played animation during the stealing.
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl/

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:49 pm »

Yeah, it shouldn't when your stealing skill reaches mmm let say 200%

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:44:43 pm »

the most stupid thing about stealing is, that you have no way to prevent stealing...
you come to town, go to trader and try to barter... a person came to you and tries to steal from you... you quickly close the dialogue screen and run, then the thief stays there, waiting for you again... and you know, that he is thief, but you cant do anything against him, until the guards see him stealing...

stealing without animation is pretty dumb idea, because it will ruin trading between players completely...
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »

Try to trade in less overcrowded place?
Stop nerfing stealing, it's hard enough now.

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 01:19:53 pm »

Stop nerfing stealing, it's hard enough now.

please read again... i am talking about animation while stealing... if it will be disabled, trades between players become impossible, because you have to stay right next to other player to trade, and you will never know if he is not stealing from you (or at least you will realize it too late)...
Thieving at vendors places should be considered the same as blocking, because it makes vendors inaccessible (if you dont want to lose your stuff), and in real situation, no shop owner will let the thief steal in his shop...
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »

You seem to underestimate how annoying the life from a thief is

Oh wow...

"we tend to fail stealing a single cap with even 300% steal,"
And yet you often easily steal rifles and heavy ore from peoples' back pockets in plain view of 3 guards and a shop keeper. And what do you lose when you fail a steal attempt? Oh that's right:

"we spawn at Klamath more often than you think. these days no one carries good items in NCR anyway we barely make any profit, and get shot often."
You get shot and lose nothing.. then from klamath its 5-10 minutes to get back to NCR.. less if you just kill yourself until you respawn closer. And you barely make a profit? Define profit please, because thieves don't really cost you anything you should be making 100% profit.

" and there is the problem that it takes ages to actually level your thief character."
So guards, shopkeepers and players should respect your efforts by letting you walk around town stealing in front of everybody and going unpunished?

Read the last bit of my original post again.

"Stop nerfing stealing, it's hard enough now."
I'm suggesting punishments for getting caught being an ass in town (not just stealing) and a way for people to defend themselves from prolific and careless thieves. I'm not suggesting the steal skill be nerfed.
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.

Schwartz

• Killed by death.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »

Steal is hard enought now, dont nerf it more.

Stop always comparing Lemmy to God.
I mean...he's cool & stuff, but he's just not Lemmy.

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 02:40:20 pm »

It should somehow to get little nerf, but no too much  ;)

Schwartz

• Killed by death.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 02:41:23 pm »

What do you want nerf here? If your target move 1 hex away you cant steal. After steal guards tell you are unprotected, so every nearly player know he can shoot you. And you want make it harder?

Stop always comparing Lemmy to God.
I mean...he's cool & stuff, but he's just not Lemmy.

Janusz2238

• forum.newfmc.pl
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »

the most stupid thing about stealing is, that you have no way to prevent stealing...
you come to town, go to trader and try to barter... a person came to you and tries to steal from you... you quickly close the dialogue screen and run

You exploiting. Your character don't know about thief, until thief fails.
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl/

avv

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »

Right now thievery don't seem to have any other meaning than give very limited source of excitement to its player. Because of severe consequences from getting caught steal >200 is recommended and with that you can't do anything else but steal. You can't use the weapons you steal, you can't craft, you can't fight. The whole thief-class is unfinished, it doesn't even have a real place in the game world. It would be all the same if the whole skill just ceased from existing.

Before you start wondering should using steal skill be easier or harder you should think about what's the point of stealing in first place.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

I think the problem here is the similar like in other skills. Players push their characters up to 300% and don't have much points left for other skills, which leads to a "thief powerbuild", you cant do anything other then stealing. Cap the skill limit at 200% at maximum. Then, there'd be a few points left, to invest in some basic gun skills etc. Otherwise, everyone pulling every single skillpoint into one none- combat skill and then whining that levelling is too hard/thiefes only can do one thing proper...  ::)

Well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 17 queries.