"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 10:46:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A "temporarely more content" - suggestion.  (Read 2486 times)

Surf

• это моё.
A "temporarely more content" - suggestion.
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:58:34 am »

So, I was thinking about many people who complain about the lack of content, nothing to do etc.
I also got some questions, because this suggestion here is still just a notion and not completed, since I don't know if its so easy to implement in the engine etc.

So:

I (and many other people I assume) had created a few maps in the mapper (obviously).
One on the beach, some "dungeons", facilities, etc.
Now the first question - is it that easy to implement a new map in fonline? No permanent map, just for the duration of the "Event"?
And - can I convert maps I've made with the normal FO2 mapper to the fonline format?

Now - if that's working - hire some people who are good storytellers. That would be cool, because you then dont need to place quests, critters etc. on the maps, the "storytellers" fungate as GMs for the duration of the events and lead the players who joined etc.

Just a simple explanation.

Player XY creates a map. Sends it to dev xy, where its getting checked, if everything works proper, an announcment in the forum will be made, the "storyteller" will be chosen. At the time of the event, a few players will be allotted who can join the event. Based on the size of the map and the story etc. is the number of players (note: the events can be repeated with other players). At the set time of the event, those players and the storyteller are teleported to the event map.

Maybe, as an example I try one I've created. It starts on a beach, with a few deserted huts there. The event starts, the storyteller choose to place a few thugs there, who start to attack the players for no reason. The players manage to kill those people. First question - why did those bastards attack the players? Looking for answers, the players wander around the deserted area and find a npc - a loser - a poor person near death. Only the player with the best first aid skill could help him. If such a player is with the group, storyteller chooses to be friendly to the group, if not, they are still unaware of the problems thats going on there. Soon they find evidence of the fight that was there - those thugs nearly wiped the "village" out, left a few poor people out there in the sun near the water die - just to watch them die. Well, the players wiped out the thugs (or just a little commando of an even bigger group?) so they need to find out for themselves. Soon they realize, that this place was a huge town, that build tons of scrap for the automobile industry. The thugs wanted to have the knowledge building new cars, not realizing that the settlers there dont know a single thing about - they just choose to live there. So this would be such a huge opportunity... There is also a way: The player- group sees the first npc there in a little hut, they decide to ask the natives whats going on here. The storyteller "uses" (I think this is possible?) the critter of the NPC and speaks through him. Now here comes the most important part in - the creativity of the storyteller. He now decides, to be a bit rude to the group of players, not answering their questions. Will the players shoot him? If so - it could be over - no information, no "quest". If not, maybe they could convince him? etc.  And so it goes on, I have a little cave in there, a car junkjard etc.

The bonus of this storytelling is, that is dynamic. Everytime the event happens, a different thing could happen.
And I know - this is just a bridgeover, till the game is more rich on content. But it is an option for the moment, to have people stay at the game who are very bored, to prevent absolutely senseless PKing from time to time etc. The best thing (apart from the storytellers and the temporarily implementing of maps) - it doesnt need any workover, so the devs dont need to work much on this.

I know it sounds a bit complicated, but what do you say?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:53:15 am by Surf Solar »

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: A "temporarely more content" - suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:25:04 am »

It's a good idea, and I agree we need more stuff to do - this would certainly help. I'm not sure about all the mapping stuff, maybe Lexx would know. The thing about "using" npcs is exclusive GM/Admin rights and as far as I know there is no midpoint between Player and GM, so I assume GMs and Admins would have to take the role of the 'storyteller', and this could indeed be more work for them.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:09:24 am »

Hm. You're right, that could be a problem. But why don't they appoint a few more players as a GM (of course trustworthy players, obviously.)
E.g you reconite. :D If one asked me, I would totally support  this idea. But anyway - there could be also some flaws that a player told me a few hours ago - theoratically, everytime (if all works proper) such a "temporarily map" is implemented, the client needs to be updated, or am I wrong?
This could be very annoying. And that's what I meant - I don't know shit about the technical Issues. :-\
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 04:20:43 am »

I love the idea.

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 07:49:12 am »

E.g you reconite. :D
This has got to be one the hilariously insane and idiotic ideas I have ever heard in my life, ever.
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:30:12 am »

You serious? Why? :D

I found it quite entertaining ingame, and also you have some really good posts here.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38:57 am »

That's an awesome idea (and very close to a "real" roleplaying session too), I'd love to participate.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:57:34 am »

Well, we have similar ideas, but as simple as this sounds on paper, it is not.

First, we need to check the maps and most probably overwork it. Then we add it to the game.
Second, such "events" can only be made with few people, else it ends in chaos, this brings up third...
Third, game masters are needed for this, to take control over everything, which is a lot work.

Also it might become unfair regarding other players if a game master chooses player xy, etc. and most likely rumors can come up like "Peter Parker is just making events with Hans and Herbert!"

But beside this, these "events" need to have some good length too. So the maps need to be big or many or it will become a small chat round in a single location.

I am not shattering this idea, because we want to do similar. But I want to make clear that it is not possible to "just" make a map, "just" send it in and the fun can start. There is a lot more behind it and preparing + the scenery itself can already eat up to one week, depending on the available time. And this just for a few players and not for all, which makes the argument "small temporary content" at least invalid to 75%, due to the fact that maybe only 10% of all players can take part in it.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:34 pm »

Why don't you make a contest for a top 10 of random encounter maps?

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 01:36:24 pm »

Yes, that was the part with the technical issues I meant.

First, we need to check the maps and most probably overwork it. Then we add it to the game.

Well, if we would know the exact recommendations the maps need to be built in the game, it would be less work for the admins?

Second, such "events" can only be made with few people, else it ends in chaos, this brings up third...
Third, game masters are needed for this, to take control over everything, which is a lot work.

As I said, it could be repeated, even 2-3 a day. And yes, I didnt knew that there is no "temporarily GM power" for the duration of the event. I understand that there is not enough manpower.

Also it might become unfair regarding other players if a game master chooses player xy, etc. and most likely rumors can come up like "Peter Parker is just making events with Hans and Herbert!"

That's why I wrote "The players will be allotted". This is also good, because every player who is interested in, will be thrown in a pool of other players - the result will be that they have to play with others that they (probably) don't know.

But beside this, these "events" need to have some good length too. So the maps need to be big or many or it will become a small chat round in a single location.

The sizes aren't the problem, it's more depending on the quality of the creative GM.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 18 queries.