"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 26, 2024, 10:14:08 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: weapons deterioration overhaul  (Read 1742 times)

weapons deterioration overhaul
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:34:22 pm »

seems ridiculous the the deterioration  on these weapons is quick even under desert conditions. plus repairing guns with nothing seems kinda dumb, sure you can fix jams but broken blow-back pipes or firing pin? deterioration should be separated into 2 sub-attributes: Mechanical damage and cleaning. cleaning is simple as dirt and sand getting into the barrel and firing mechanisms and from discharging rounds. a simple fix would be a gun cleaning kit composing of a oil, solvent, and clothes. you can probably make that with some fruit, nuka-cola and whiskey with a brahmin hide. the kit will repair your weapon all the way to 0 but will not repair mechanical damage. now mechanical damage is just as wear and tear as the gun is used more the weapon suffers especially from not cleaning. but in order to repair damage parts is you have to replace them. this comes from the fallout3 side that you need another weapon that is the same to repair it. now people will complain about that "Thanks asshole, now i need to buy another gun just to repair mine!" but considering most of the merchants are full of guns every day, seems a great way to burn some of those away. now this still requires the repair skill and now the need for the workbench(except for cleaning), normally i would see low repair skill to repair 10-20% damage then higher. now to make these balance i come to simple ideas: technically you should be able to blow out a lot of ammo before something in the gun actually breaks.weapons requiring greased magazines: the Mauser and the grease gun, would need to be clean earlier than the 10mm. comments to improve this?
Re: weapons deterioration overhaul
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:01:34 pm »

Too complicated. Imo deterioration itself is pointless anyway - you die much faster than maintaining equipment becomes needed. 
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »

true but actually it should be simpler, your weapons should have a longer life before cleaning repairs which would help people who didn't tag repair and end up destroying their weapon. mechanical repairs won't be needed for a while est. 100-200 shots with a side of chance for damaging the weapon?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that weapon deterioration doesn't add anything to the game. The only thing about it I like is how cheap deteriorated guns are to buy.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 07:22:14 pm »

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that weapon deterioration doesn't add anything to the game. The only thing about it I like is how cheap deteriorated guns are to buy.
true i died faster than my 10mm smg but i believe the deterioration system could be reprogrammed to be a part of the game.

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »

seems ridiculous the the deterioration  on these weapons is quick even under desert conditions. plus repairing guns with nothing seems kinda dumb, sure you can fix jams but broken blow-back pipes or firing pin? deterioration should be separated into 2 sub-attributes: Mechanical damage and cleaning. cleaning is simple as dirt and sand getting into the barrel and firing mechanisms and from discharging rounds. a simple fix would be a gun cleaning kit composing of a oil, solvent, and clothes. you can probably make that with some fruit, nuka-cola and whiskey with a brahmin hide. the kit will repair your weapon all the way to 0 but will not repair mechanical damage. now mechanical damage is just as wear and tear as the gun is used more the weapon suffers especially from not cleaning. but in order to repair damage parts is you have to replace them. this comes from the fallout3 side that you need another weapon that is the same to repair it. now people will complain about that "Thanks asshole, now i need to buy another gun just to repair mine!" but considering most of the merchants are full of guns every day, seems a great way to burn some of those away. now this still requires the repair skill and now the need for the workbench(except for cleaning), normally i would see low repair skill to repair 10-20% damage then higher. now to make these balance i come to simple ideas: technically you should be able to blow out a lot of ammo before something in the gun actually breaks.weapons requiring greased magazines: the Mauser and the grease gun, would need to be clean earlier than the 10mm. comments to improve this?

Repair broken in to two categories? I like the idea of realism but I'd figure the cleaning is already factored in (from a not important in the background thing) and not implemented for that reason.

I do like the idea of having to have parts to repair a gun though, be it junk, weapon, or even another broken weapon (repair chance would be much harder obviously).

And weapon deterioration per attack failure is based on the users skill (at least in the tabletop pen and paper game), with a high enough skill you know what to expect from a gun so you are prepared to handle the issue when it comes, so the weapon takes less deterioration. Actually it's also stated in the wiki (check the equation)
Quote from: Wiki
Each shot with a weapon gives (300-skill)*(1+brokenCount/3)/2 deterioration points. For example, with 200 in concerned skill, each shot is 50 points for weapon with 0-2 breakdowns, 100 with 3-5, 150 with 6-8, 200 with 9. A weapon that has broken down 9 times will be usable 150 times before it reaches 100% deterioration.

Quote from: hevdra
weapons requiring greased magazines: the Mauser and the grease gun
The magazines on these two weapons are so light mechanically that grease would hinder their operation. And the grease gun got its name from its appearance (don't care if you knew that or not, just pointing it out to those who didn't), it looks like a grease pump used to grease vehicle joints, not because it uses tons of grease (because it doesn't use any grease at all it uses a machine oil). To be precisice, grease in ANY weapon (besides gear and rotor weapons like miniguns) will damage the weapon even more because grease has that bad habit of collecting any sort of debris (dust, sand, and dirt) and jamming or wearing the components of the firearm prematurely.

Archaeon_dude

• "PKing is baaaaad!"
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »

With the current elements in the game it is possible to implement this. You know, I build my lovely .223 gun with Good Metal Parts and shitty Metal Parts and Junk. Oh. I also use a .223 huntin' rifle but nvm. If I use this raw ingredients to get the final product, why can't I use the same ingredients for repairs? If things worked this way, teh stuff could be simplified.

But let me talk even some more shit!

If you make maintenance to your gun before reaching 20% deterioration, it could be considered as cleaning, and it would not require any resource consumption. The success rate of cleaning would be high as long as your gun isn't more deteriorated than 20%. As your gun gets grungier, going below 30, 40 and 50% deterioration, you could be needin' them raw materials in order of expense. Let's say a weapon with 95% deterioration needs its springs changed and has dust all over the place and there is also some brahmin shit from one time you dropped it. Yer bound to use a coupla Good Metal Parts and mebbe some alloys. A gun which is just a bit jammed (46% det.) might require some good cleaning and some junk (don't ask me why).

Did I mention that indie bands are the spawns of Cthulhu?
Didn't, got killed.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 09:46:02 pm »

Repair broken in to two categories? I like the idea of realism but I'd figure the cleaning is already factored in (from a not important in the background thing) and not implemented for that reason.

I do like the idea of having to have parts to repair a gun though, be it junk, weapon, or even another broken weapon (repair chance would be much harder obviously).

And weapon deterioration per attack failure is based on the users skill (at least in the tabletop pen and paper game), with a high enough skill you know what to expect from a gun so you are prepared to handle the issue when it comes, so the weapon takes less deterioration. Actually it's also stated in the wiki (check the equation)The magazines on these two weapons are so light mechanically that grease would hinder their operation. And the grease gun got its name from its appearance (don't care if you knew that or not, just pointing it out to those who didn't), it looks like a grease pump used to grease vehicle joints, not because it uses tons of grease (because it doesn't use any grease at all it uses a machine oil). To be precisice, grease in ANY weapon (besides gear and rotor weapons like miniguns) will damage the weapon even more because grease has that bad habit of collecting any sort of debris (dust, sand, and dirt) and jamming or wearing the components of the firearm prematurely.
srry what i meant that the mauser and the grease gun had greased magazines which allowed for faster reloading but easy dirt buildup. for repair split into two categories i mean you 'clean your gun' but your weapon still shows damage representing the mechanical damage.

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 09:51:41 pm »

srry what i meant that the mauser and the grease gun had greased magazines which allowed for faster reloading but easy dirt buildup. for repair split into two categories i mean you 'clean your gun' but your weapon still shows damage representing the mechanical damage.
Then why bother with cleaning if it doesn't effect the weapons condition?

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 09:55:29 pm »

well a dirty gun was more prone to jam and worse crack the barrel.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:03:21 am »

well a dirty gun was more prone to jam and worse crack the barrel.

That's very true. A clean, well oiled weapons is far more reliable in war. During the Vietnam War soldiers would carry thier weapons with them through the swamps of Vietnam inadvertantly getting dirt and mud in the barrell of the weapon; When they went to fire, the gun would often backfire on them causing severe injury. It was quickly found that by putting a condom over the tip of the barrell would prevent the barrell from becoming clogged, and you could Fire the weapon through the condom. Just like after sex, the condom is a one-use item.

I'm not suggesting that we use condom's on guns in Fonline.

Repair does need an overhaul, my character has a Repair skill of 80% and using tools and super toolkits I've never successfully repaired any item. I like the idea of cleaning your weapon, but I also that Repair success or failure should not only depend on the Repair skill but also on weapon skill. Maybe a formula like
(REPAIR SKILL+WEAPON SKILL-SKILL REQUIRED TO MAKE THE WEAPON)/2 - Individual weapon repair skill
So if Repair skill was 100% Small Guns was 100% and you were trying to repair a broken 10mm(req 45 Small guns), You'd have 77.5% chance to fix the weapon

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:06:04 am »

That's very true. A clean, well oiled weapons is far more reliable in war. During the Vietnam War soldiers would carry thier weapons with them through the swamps of Vietnam inadvertantly getting dirt and mud in the barrell of the weapon; When they went to fire, the gun would often backfire on them causing severe injury. It was quickly found that by putting a condom over the tip of the barrell would prevent the barrell from becoming clogged, and you could Fire the weapon through the condom. Just like after sex, the condom is a one-use item.

Repair does need an overhaul, my character has a Repair skill of 80% and using tools and super toolkits I've never successfully repaired any item. I like the idea of cleaning your weapon, but I also that Repair success or failure should not only depend on the Repair skill but also on weapon skill. Maybe a formula like
(REPAIR SKILL+WEAPON SKILL-SKILL REQUIRED TO MAKE THE WEAPON)/2 - Individual weapon repair skill
So if Repair skill was 100% Small Guns was 100% and you were trying to repair a broken 10mm(req 45 Small guns), You'd have 77.5% chance to fix the weapon
+100

Perfect solution man you gotta admit.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:36 am »

Yes to Grampy idea
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 06:23:40 am »

Actually,that is not a bad idea.I mean,we already have condoms in-game that pretty much do nothing at all...

...Make it happen,devs! ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.