"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 29, 2024, 05:35:12 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Suggestion about world map  (Read 1690 times)

Marko69

• SLASH!
Suggestion about world map
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:32:52 pm »

I was thinking about this and I found out that world map makes game boring, reasons: you can travel anywhere in any direction, you can avoid anyone with 300% outdoor. This causes game to be to easy for traders, and disables game economy and ruins ingame trading risks etc. There are no trade centers, thieves get looted by guard - players don't get their stuff back. Would an advanced player would kill some trader for 10 brahmin hides?  :o
Anyway my idea would be to edit the world map by rivers lakes or anything that would be impassable terrain. Breaking the world map into states, dividing them by those obstacles. How to get pass from 1 place to other? You will have to enter a city or location, and when you walk trough that location, the exit would be on another location on world map. You won't be able to select other location from world/town button of course. This would force traders or anyone who wants to pass to enter a place which is controlled by players (no npc guards, npc traders/quest ok). This would also force advanced players and organizations to do something about protecting or raiding such places. Some of this places could be trade centers and some guarded just for interest in certain resource. Road would have to be a place where you transport very important materials so people couldn't avoid such place. Even without transporting anything important people would still have to use that passageway. With this when people die they should be replicated in their base, or some beginner town (VS NCR HUB SF) where they'll have free replication (inn system).

I made an illustration for those who don't understand:

Anti-pk, protector of the law in wasteland.
Re: Suggestion about world map
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

Good suggestion, i'd say. Hardly implementable, i suppose, but would be cool if there would be unpassable hills and terrain. Definately would add variety to travelling, fighting and gameplay. But i bet we can await many ''will make harder for noobs'' etc.  :-\

Anyway, i can imagine something like this:

;D ;D ;D
I give a fuck.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:41:04 pm »

Problem is, that height and cliffs, etc. are already simulated with travel speed differences (high / low terrain). Everything else (except rivers) is hardly possible to realize in a good and realistic way.

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:19:58 pm »

This is a good idea.
I think it even is possible with no changes to the code - just make some more impassable terrain like the sea.
The towns allowing passage can have NPCs which would teleport you to the other side (this might be tricky to do so it is not somehow exploited).
I think it wouldn't be much realistic if there was too much of the blocks, but if major trade routes had them and other ways would be quite long it would be really interesting...
Maybe the realistic issues can be solved that instead of blocked terrain there would be highly radiated areas which you would loose HP when entering...

Anyway similar to this: how about making TCable towns on the island SW of Glow and perhaps on those S of Boneyard? You would need to take ship to them which would be one obstacle how to get to them. This could bring more TC south, near Glow where bunker bases are and it would be more challenging and allowing new tactics with the ship situation... Of course the islands would have to be sufficiently interesting to not be ignored.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:25:05 pm by Ned Logan »

Enzo

• Homeless wastelander
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »

this is good idea only to make every non-combat character to lose stuff more frequently if he/she wants to travel all over the wolrd... or jailing him/her in one part of the world, because they wont be able to travel to another because passages will be camped by PKs most of time... prove me wrong...

p.s. yes! I am the first one of ''will make harder for noobs'' people  ;D

but this is not about noobs, this is about many other players, because with crafter/trader you cannot stand a chance against fight powerbuilds used by PKs... so loners without gang cannot travel, RP players without alts cannot travel and travelling will be allowed with this suggestion only for skilled gangs or experienced players with alts... (and I hope developers will be not supporting alting or advantages only for gangs and PKs)
Enzo Wolf
former President of Fenix Trading company
former Trading counsellor of former Gray Rock village :D

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:27:52 pm »

I think it even is possible with no changes to the code - just make some more impassable terrain like the sea.

Of course it is possible. But like I wrote above...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »

It'd be nice to slow down worldmap speed, and introduce more mass transit systems. You can walk to the neighbouring towns, but if you want to cross the wasteland you better get a train or hitch a ride with a caravan.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:44:59 pm »

It'd be nice to slow down worldmap speed, and introduce more mass transit systems. You can walk to the neighbouring towns, but if you want to cross the wasteland you better get a train or hitch a ride with a caravan.
I suddenly tought about this:
http://fodev.net/forum/index.php?topic=737.0
There are actually some very good and unimplementet suggestions... Sad  :-\
I give a fuck.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:31:10 pm »

Problem is, that height and cliffs, etc. are already simulated with travel speed differences (high / low terrain). Everything else (except rivers) is hardly possible to realize in a good and realistic way.
Make equipment or needed to cross through such terrains as:

Radiation goo rivers/lakes:      Solution:  Radiation suit to cross the broken river of goo without suffocating or dying from radiation poisoning.

MineFields (Might randomly blow up passing through):       Solution:  Perk: Awareness

It doesn't always have to be about travel speed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:21:53 pm by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Marko69

• SLASH!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:15 pm »

This will make people work together on securing trade routes, right now game has no point i playing, any change regarding the game difficulty would make it more interesting. My brother said it would be cool if your character would have to hunt and eat food or he dies (hardcore)  ;D
Anti-pk, protector of the law in wasteland.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 09:34:39 am »

this ideea is good&bad:good for an extra chalenge,bad for newbys(noobs)

my sugestion is that those whit outdoorsmen less than 100 shoud be able to go trowgh, betuin 100-200 can avoid the areas,but rutes betuin city's shoud be bloked like in this sugestion and 200-300 outdoorsmen mus enter from time to time in this area to pass,cuz the way must be bloked

sr for mi english

Ned Logan

• chaotic good/neutral
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:33 pm »

I think to make this idea work, there should be no possibility to bypass with good skills, so more people wouldn't just make taxi & trader alts...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.