Found and written on it
- 1 (5.3%)
Found and thrown away
- 0 (0%)
I have never had one
- 6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Holodisk improvements needed  (Read 1427 times)

Holodisk improvements needed
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:56:07 pm »

I've started keeping an ingame journal on a holodisk just for fun. Well after couple of ingame days I noticed that editing existing text was pretty much impossible, after the text grew past 13 lines. You cannot scroll the text when writing, you can't use mouse to select where you want to type and you can't use up/down arrors to skip lines. Even page up/down does nothing. Only thing you can do, is start from the beginning or the end (not sure how it selects which one you get) and use arrows or backspace/delete to move around.

I've found the best way to edit text is to go to beginning, jam delete button down and go make some coffee. It takes some time with a long journal. (I type the new text on notepad and copy-paste it into the game.) Also only way to properly read the whole text (other than deleting from start and reading what comes from the bottom) is to upload it to your pipboy, which quickly fills up with Archives of "Niilomaan's Journal". Yeah, there's few of them now and no way to remove them.

SUGGESTIONS:
- Give us better ways to edit text inside the game (scrolling, up/down arrows, page up/down)
- Give us "erase" -button to clean the whole tape. That way I don't have to waste time deleting the crap one letter at a time.
- Give us ability to remove unneeded entries on pipboy archives.

With those (simple?) improvements, or even 1-2 of them, you could make writing an ingame stories/journal much more fun.

PS. Since someone is going to ask, holodisks cost 500 caps and are sold in Boneyard library.

Sashi

• Rolling my saving throw
Re: Holodisk improvements needed
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:30:50 pm »

Altered SUGGESTIONS:
- Give us better ways to edit text inside the game (scrolling, up/down arrows, page up/down) <--- I've suggested this previously, they're just gonna tell you to write it in notepad and cut and paste it. Which is a shitty way to do it, I know.
- Give us "erase" -button to clean the whole tape. That way I don't have to waste time deleting the crap one letter at a time. <--- I've suggested this as well, I think... anyways I would like to see a password option to the erase setting, so people can write books, journals, or important data and sell/drop it without worrying about their work being lost to someone who wants a free holodisk or quick buck.
- Give us ability to remove unneeded entries on pipboy archives. <--- Yes, just yes.
-- More storage space!

There are already 2 other threads about this (One is mine) basically it's a futile attempt because they don't consider it priority right now. It's BS I know, but something as simple as this can open up game play to a lot of players, I just hope they see this fact, otherwise they'll just keep burying these threads.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:12:42 pm »

Check the forum for posted threads. This has been suggested already.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:55:18 pm »

Yeah sorry, there was no search when I was logged out, so I searched manually, but because there were many pages I must have missed it.

Noticed the search function only after posting this. I guess it's still good to keep reminding... Hah. Sorry again.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 25 queries.