"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 06:30:17 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New Player Vault  (Read 8124 times)

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Re: New Player Vault
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:23 am »

I think this is the first beginner area idea that hasn't been completely hated. I like it too. I think the biggest bonus of this would be that players would be more likely to interact with each other at the beginning, meaning they'd hopefully have some people to trust once they got out for trading, partying and faction making.

If this were made mandatory for any character that isn't being remade (aka the character gets deleted and then recreated immediately), it might actually reduce the amount of alting. Not on a large scale, but I'm sure most people wouldn't bother making 20 alts because they'd have to go through the whole vault thing 20 times.

Mr Feltzer

• FOnline: Australia
    • The Core Gaming Australia's Website
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 07:58:40 am »

fuck that, Cities Really would have No N00bs in it,
The Ol' Lifestyle of N00bs is basicly boned
Founder of Fallout Online Australia

Winston Wolf

• Guardian
    • The Guardians
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

fuck that, Cities Really would have No N00bs in it,
The Ol' Lifestyle of N00bs is basicly boned

Is that post serious? Are you 12?

kraskish

• Chars: Perforator & Penetrator =D
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 09:51:46 am »

This is needed if fonline wants to be "normal" as a MMO
Chars: Perforator, Penetrator Leaderator

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:59 am »

Once you reach a set level ( lvl10 maybe ...or even lvl5 would help) you are sent away from the vault to start your travels(or you can leave earlier, but cant re-enter).
That's fine

Vault could have several quests that help explain a few game functions
Ok, it's fair, unless you get a reward for completing these quests.

Trainers to teach all Professions to lvl 1
HELL, NO! Then tell me, what is the use of that profession lvl 1 if you get it right when you start the game?

safe low level mining
What is low-level mining area? This is no rune-scape, where you need a certain level to mine HQ iron ore. I say no to this.

and crafting areas
Fine with that

pking and stealing disabled.
PKing = you get kicked out
Stealing = disabled

Edit:
This is needed if fonline wants to be "normal" as a MMO
I don't get it what are you talking about, this is just an open beta and this isn't an MMO like others. I would say that this game is just hard for loners and that's it. Even the most smallest gangs can easily survive without whining.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:07:16 am »

No, the Vault should not be there to give them items and they should not leave with anything.  There might be a variety of minor items used within the Vault itself however, ranging from Wrenches to normal Clubs, as that should be the extent of any weapons there.  Any violation and attacking of players would result in a beating by said clubs by players and npc thugs alike ala Gestapo, then the body dumped into a river which washes the sap out into the wasteland. Or something.

Vault for teaching, not giving items, please remember this.  And no, not teaching any professions, totally out of the question imo.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 11:16:49 am »

Finally we would have an explanation of these blue suits we are in.
Also, my vision is, when 3d comes, maybe we could choose where we start at the beginning?
1. Vault
There could be some beginning quests, where we learn the basics. Teachers would explain how to survive in wasteland. In one moment, at lvl 3-5 we would be somehow forced to leave the vault like in Fallout 1 or Fallout 3.
2. Tribal village(Arroyo like?)
Same as before. There could be a trial though and then we are forced to leave like in Fallout 2.

Both would have a tutorial, and...

3. In a cave, after a storm when you don't remember what happened before - just like we are starting now. No beginning quest, no safe start, this is for old players who already know how to survive. Of course everyone could choose option 1 and 2 if he wants to.

So people could choose to do the tutorial or not. And the base suit would be only blue for these, who started in the vault. Tribals would look like Sulik in example(Fallout 2), and option 3... We could think of something.

IMO there should be no items while leaving the vault.

Any violation and attacking of players would result in a beating by said clubs by players and npc thugs alike ala Gestapo, then the body dumped into a river which washes the sap out into the wasteland. Or something.
Nice! And then from point 1 where we didn't behave well, we go to point 3 without all the previous experience we could gather.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:07 am »

Finally we would have an explanation of these blue suits we are in.
Also, my vision is, when 3d comes, maybe we could choose where we start at the beginning?
1. Vault
There could be some beginning quests, where we learn the basics. Teachers would explain how to survive in wasteland. In one moment, at lvl 3-5 we would be somehow forced to leave the vault like in Fallout 1 or Fallout 3.
2. Tribal village(Arroyo like?)
Same as before. There could be a trial though and then we are forced to leave like in Fallout 2.

Both would have a tutorial, and...

3. In a cave, after a storm when you don't remember what happened before - just like we are starting now. No beginning quest, no safe start, this is for old players who already know how to survive. Of course everyone could choose option 1 and 2 if he wants to.

So people could choose to do the tutorial or not. And the base suit would be only blue for these, who started in the vault. Tribals would look like Sulik in example(Fallout 2), and option 3... We could think of something.

IMO there should be no items while leaving the vault.
Nice! And then from point 1 where we didn't behave well, we go to point 3 without all the previous experience we could gather.

This. Also, I don't think stealing should be disabled - it should just mean you get thrown out (same as with murder/fighting etc.) if you try and are caught. Low level characters wouldn't have enough Steal to make it worth trying, so it'd be the same as disabling, would possibly be easier to code and wouldn't break the immersion. The more I think about this suggestion, the more reasonable it seems.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25:41 pm »

I don't see why giving players some very basic gear when they leave is so bad. If the tutorial is long enough, and to get the basic gear you need to do every quest, there are much faster ways of farming.

I realise you could argue, 'But if they die as soon as they leave the Vault, they'll just make a new character to get fresh gear'. But if it's easier to make a new character and spend another 40-60 minutes doing the exact same quests than it is to get some basic gear then it's a problem with the crafting/loot system - not the starter area.

I'd rather the starter town is something besides a Vault, though. I'm just sick of Vaults.

kraskish

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 12:41:36 pm »

[quote a
Edit:I don't get it what are you talking about, this is just an open beta and this isn't an MMO like others. I would say that this game is just hard for loners and that's it. Even the most smallest gangs can easily survive without whining.

Yep but you dont learn all that wisdom fast enough before you ditch such game in most cases. Many people quit. Ok it is not usual game, but why should it be unfriendly like others? More community = more fun

gordulan

• General Animosity
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 12:52:20 pm »

it isn't like it will become unbalanced if they get some basic gear when they leave, the rich will stay rich and the newbies will always die, sooner or later they all die.

http://tf-2.fr/ach.php?a=Bend Over, Boyo II&b=Shoot 150 people as they are running away from you... In the arse&c=56&d=150&e=1703&f=1

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:25 pm »

Excuse me, but what is the purpose of this idea ? I read first post, and to me it sounds like "let's give every player a tent at level 1". It's not about vaults or anything :/ I don't know if giving every newcomer a safe place would be good. They wouldn't learn anything. Getting 10 brahmin hides is easy, to be honest, but it's still risky. And I think newcomers should learn that the wasteland is a dangerous place. Then, they would learn the value of life and items they have. Just my two cents.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 02:08:19 pm »

Read the entire topic, Izual. Carefully.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 02:12:30 pm »

We're supposed to react to first post ;)
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

kraskish

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »

Excuse me, but what is the purpose of this idea ? I read first post, and to me it sounds like "let's give every player a tent at level 1". It's not about vaults or anything :/ I don't know if giving every newcomer a safe place would be good. They wouldn't learn anything. Getting 10 brahmin hides is easy, to be honest, but it's still risky. And I think newcomers should learn that the wasteland is a dangerous place. Then, they would learn the value of life and items they have. Just my two cents.

Well maybe in such Vault a newbie could kill slowly respawnable brahim once in a while or collect 10 brahmin hides and then it would be as getaway ticket out of the vault. I mean there could be a Vault/labyrinth that could let a player through rooms/levels only if a player does this or that like kill one ant/brahmin or 10 of them and bring their skins which will be given back to the quest givers. Its just all about informing people about possibilities.

I also supposed similar Temple of Trials but if it will be called Vault what the hell, let be it xD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.