"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 10, 2024, 11:26:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dialog competition  (Read 26322 times)

AHS-9

• Administrator
  • AHS-9, the Great And Terrible
Dialog competition
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

The FOnline: 2238 development team is pleased to announce the dialog and quest writing competition.

I. The rules
The objective is to write either a dialog-based quest (without introducing new locations or content, with possible exception of some new quest items, providing the graphics exists), or a pure dialog. The involved npcs must be already existing town npcs. Dialogs are expected to be written in high-quality American English. Avoid pop-culture references. There are no special limitations regarding the extent of the quest or size of the dialogs, but keep in mind that quest rewards have to be kept at sensible levels.

II. The tools
Here is a bundle containing the dialog editor (with some sample dialogs), a brief manual that should cover most of the topics needed to use it and a documentation of some of the dialog functions that can be used. Enjoy the given possibilities, make use of demand/results. Check for Charisma and Intelligence when necessary.

III. The criteria
Technical points can be enumerated: both pure dialogs and quests are going to be processed by our proofreader. Correct use of demand/results in case of quests (avoiding "continuity errors", resistance to forced dialog closing etc.) will play role.
Non-technical points - there is one - obviously consist of the impression made by the work. It's going to be the most decisive factor, especially in case of pure dialogs.

IV. The awards
No in-game rewards are offered. Instead, in addition to inclusion of the work to the current game content, authors of the best entries will be offered a position in content creation, allowing them to work on quests and dialogs without limitations imposed in this competition, with support of the development team.
There is no particular limit on the number of people that can be "rewarded" - the quality of the work is the only concern. There are no notions of "first place" or "fourth place" in this competition either.

V. Making an entry
An entry for the competition should include all the .fodlg files containing the created dialogs, and one .txt file with at least brief overview of the quest (the more information and background, the better), and npcs supposed to use the dialogs. To submit your work, send an email to contact@fonline2238.net having "[competition] *your_forum_nickname*" in title, with all relevant files as attachments (archived and packed or not).

VI. Time constraints
The competition will run until August 1. After that, we will review all submissions.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
Re: Dialog competition
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:56:31 pm »

I've been working on New Reno's new quests (Dozens are planned). All the mob crime families are on my schedule, but I only did few so far : if you want to write new dialogue for Mason and James Bishop, PM me before you start please :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:02:32 pm by Izual »
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Berko

• Tim Tom Ted
    • http://kabefis.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

We can't load/save file if we have special character in path. "Error open file"
->So if another member have this problem move dialog files to the root "c:/" instead of this example "c:/J'aïm€/mêtr heu/dé/z @ccent/partoùt/" or just "c:/é/" :)
~~~ Ashes of Phoenix project --> http://fonline-aop.net/ ~~~

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:20 pm »

We can't load/save file if we have special character in path. "Error open file"
->So if another member have this problem move dialog files to the root "c:/" instead of this example "c:/J'aïm€/mêtr heu/dé/z @ccent/partoùt/" or just "c:/é/" :)

Or just use english characters only ;)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

For all the ones that will use dialogue editor - you can come on IRC, channel #2238mod, to meet other guys doing the same thing :)
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:22 am »

I've also made such things for the modoc citizens and the slags. If you want to make additional things to it, please stay in touch with me (PM or so ;) )

Also, just a reminder since I find it important:

Avoid pop-culture references.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:09:54 am by Surf Solar »
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:11 am »

+1 Awesome

Can items have dialog's too? Such as Computer Interfaces (for the computers in the vaults), roullette wheels and slot machines?

Atom

• Rotator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:32 pm »

Can items have dialog's too? Such as Computer Interfaces (for the computers in the vaults), roullette wheels and slot machines?

Yes, all of them. Note however that their dialogs can't use results or demands that check some npc-side state (as there is no npc to check).
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:45:23 pm »

It's spelled "dialogue" :p
The AmE correct spelling is "dialogue" as well. "Dialog" is just an informal variant used in the US.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:06:39 pm by blahblah »
<Izual> Let's crash server

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

It's spelled "dialogue" :p

Dialog is American english, while dialogue is Brittish english. The former is more appropriate considering the game.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 07:52:28 pm »

Dialog is American english, while dialogue is Brittish english. The former is more appropriate considering the game.

Then why do we have kilos instead of pounds ingame? :D

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 08:12:36 pm »

The kilos <-> pounds change has been made before FOnline: 2238.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:14:57 pm »

It is never appropriate, if we don't correct them they shall never learn!

Let the Dialogue competition begin!
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:23 am »

hello.

how can we test the Dialogues / quests? scripting without testing... well it is not easy...

thanks

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 08:48:30 am »

That's the drawback of it being the "open" contest. You've got the tools we've provided, and unfortunately, nothing more.

But you know, some errors will only play role if the dialogue will be introduced into the game. So at first, take care about most important factors to prepare good work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.